PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk CORE

JIL_24/7
07-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Hello Everyone!
Depending on how one feels about their spouse I am either one of the luckiest dudes around or I am to be most pitied, but my wife has decided that she would like to go hunting with me. In my case that makes me very happy because she is a really good woman. The question I have given our current financial situation is, does she really need to take the CORE course? I have the book already and I can just book her an exam right? If she takes a firearms course first it shouldn't be too hard to teach her the rest I was thinking. Thoughts? I just don't know if I can cough up $300 bucks right now. Thanks.

cdnshooter13
07-03-2013, 07:55 PM
No she doesnt need to take it. Mine didnt. Have her read through the manual a couple times and take some notes, do all the practice tests and then quiz her yourself out of the book at random. If you have all the actions required for the PAL set up a mini practice pal test and get her comfortable with each one aswell as the bullet identification and range senerios and crossing fence etc. Do this for a couple weeks and she should be good to go. If your on the south isl. i can put u in touch with and examiner who will let her challenge it, if not contact ur local guy and im sure theyll let her too. Good luck:)

07-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Congrats, this will be my wife's first year hunting as well. I am really looking forward to it.

kilometers
07-03-2013, 10:42 PM
I would ask her. Some people like the little bit of extra help or course style learning, my wife
did. But we took the course together. If i was in your situation it would be tempting to get her to challenge it. The end test isn't that hard if you do the rundown as said above but at the same time if it gives her more confidence to go sit in a swamp or tree with a high powered rifle and bring home the meat
300 bucks is a lot but when she gets the local moose leh her first year in and bags one on day 5.
Money well spent. I love hunting with my wife
http://i40.tinypic.com/2gvu2k3.jpg

Muliechaser
07-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Thats a great idea! But just get her to challenge the exam.
I challenged my core in bc and passed put i allready had my pal. So it excluded the firearms parts . That being said i do know there is a practical exam for firearms when taking the core , not sure if theres a written exam for firearms for the coretho. Like mentioned above just get her to study and test her at random. Get her to memorise the (acts and prove) memorize that shit! I beleive they want to see safe handling over anything. My wife is goig to be taking hers aswell. Ill just grab a random action and makesure its safe even tho i know it is. And make it as it is a random gun we know nothing about , loaded ect. And put it in a random spot im the house. And ill she will see
It and go to it and act as it is loaded and make that sucker safe in 2.5 . Very proud man right here.

Mc

G.A.
07-04-2013, 09:27 AM
maybe just do the core, and she can hunt with your rifles, then do the pal later if she chooses to lie it enough to buy her own rifles.,is what i did. i finaly did my pal but papers still sit on my desk...also finacial reasons. but ive still been able to go hunt with my bow or partners rifles with him, saves half that 300 buck, if shes new to guns maybe taking full core is way to go to learn a bit on them...day 2 of the core

Moe.JKU
07-04-2013, 10:38 AM
I would agree with GA. Take the Core and then do the pal when the waits are down. I did this just so i could jump into duck season last year, you don't need your PAL to hunt at all just to buy, own, transport by yourself. The PAL course in Nov was a good time to do it i thought, it only took me a month to get mine back. Everyone in spring had troubles and i'm sure now isn't any better with wait times.

hare_assassin
07-04-2013, 10:47 AM
On another note, anyone know if there is a PDF version of the book out there? I don't have a hard copy (got my hunting license in another province) and I'd like my wife and kids to start reading it...

Yes, I am a cheap *******...

G.A.
07-04-2013, 11:06 AM
no pdf of it or they wouldnt be able to sell them, i even looked on a torrent site and only one found was an older version of it, ask around for a used one.

cdnshooter13
07-04-2013, 11:07 AM
If she takes the Pal first then she gets to skip that part of the core test making it easier. 300 bucks is a rip off for the course, i think my wife challenged both for around 65-70 bucks. Ive helped 3 or 4 of my friends challenge it by doing what i posted earlier.

yakideath12
07-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Just buy CORE book and challenge it. I never took courses both pal & core

G.A.
07-04-2013, 11:36 AM
If she takes the Pal first then she gets to skip that part of the core test making it easier. 300 bucks is a rip off for the course, i think my wife challenged both for around 65-70 bucks. Ive helped 3 or 4 of my friends challenge it by doing what i posted earlier.

anyone paying 300 for core is being ripped off....big time

07-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Hello Everyone!
Depending on how one feels about their spouse I am either one of the luckiest dudes around or I am to be most pitied, but my wife has decided that she would like to go hunting with me. In my case that makes me very happy because she is a really good woman. The question I have given our current financial situation is, does she really need to take the CORE course? I have the book already and I can just book her an exam right? If she takes a firearms course first it shouldn't be too hard to teach her the rest I was thinking. Thoughts? I just don't know if I can cough up $300 bucks right now. Thanks.

My advice.........get her to take the Pal course, then the challenge the Core......the BC govt recognizes the Feds practical test part of the Pal and once she has it in place, she can challenge the written Core and her practical is already in place. My wife did it this way and it worked out well. I've helped enough people through the two courses that l got to know 2 of the instructors quite well and both told me that if a person comes in and challenges the exam they tend to be more critical because basically they are being asked to sign paperwork based solely on the one meeting, were as people taking the course give the instructor more time for interaction with students. Put another way, l know a few people that have failed when they challenged the exams, never known any one to fail who took the course. Also, check around to see what other instructors are charging, last time l heard it was 100 bucks for each course locally.
BTW.......if you both enjoy hunting, there are very few things better then having your spouse along as your partner.

Moe.JKU
07-04-2013, 01:16 PM
I think the 300 is for both courses. I payed 110 for core and 140 for pal. I found the courses to be very good. I ended up learning a lot of stuff from experience of the teacher, and just little tips and tricks that help out. By all means the test isn't very hard, more common sense than anything.

finngun
07-04-2013, 02:45 PM
i think new hunter can have first year hunting licence wihthout taking any courses... brand new thing..just to see if he [she] wanna be hunter..kind of getting more
people involved hunting-outdoors,,good idea:idea::mrgreen:

hare_assassin
07-04-2013, 02:55 PM
i think new hunter can have first year hunting licence wihthout taking any courses... brand new thing..just to see if he [she] wanna be hunter..kind of getting more
people involved hunting-outdoors,,good idea:idea::mrgreen:

Something like this, yes, but no LEH for them and they shoot on the mentor's bag limit.

JIL_24/7
07-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Ok then, if $300 for both is too much where can we do it cheaper?????? Looking in Surrey area?

XMD70
07-04-2013, 10:00 PM
I've been teaching the CORE since 1976 and the PAL since it came into effect. My advice is to have her go through a PAL course first, and then a CORE course. The CORE written test is much tougher than the PAL test, and having had a full course on firearms first takes off a lot of pressure. Think of it like teaching your kids how to drive vs a professional driving school. If you do it yourself, you may just be teaching your bad habits. Remember, you are not the only person who is counting on your wife to have safe firearms handling habits and good hunting ethics. Also, if the instructors are any good, the courses offer a whole lot more than just enough knowledge to pass the tests. In the courses I run spouses and parents who already have their CORE or PAL are welcome to sit in at no cost. Besides, think of how much her hunting habit will eventually cost. The price of the courses is a small investment for her competence and safety.

doddatto
07-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Hello Everyone!

really lucky lol my old lady wont even touch raw hamburger, lol i told her if she made a turkey dinner id marry her..... AND SHE DID now what am i too do ;) But she makes up for it Couldn't ask for a better wife to be !

doddatto
07-04-2013, 10:18 PM
I would love for my wife to come with me! But she cant even watch an deer get shot on youtube. i played a predator call for her and she CRYED! ya

doddatto
07-04-2013, 10:26 PM
yeap here it is

Initiation LicenceEffective April 1, 2013, the new Initiation Hunting Licence for first time hunters aged 18 or older will be in effect. The requirements to complete CORE and to hold a Hunter Number Card are waived for this one-time-only licence.
It is anticipated the new licence will be available at Service BC locations and local vendors no later than March 20, 2013.
The initiation hunting licence is a new type of mentoring licence that allows a person 18 years or older who has never previously held a hunting licence in B.C. to try hunting for a one-year period. It is a one-time-only licence.
Government is introducing the new licence at $19.00 ($15.00 licence fee plus $4.00 Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation surcharge).
To be eligible for the initiation hunting licence, a person:

must be a B.C. resident,
must be 18 years or older,
must not have held a B.C. hunting licence in the past, with the exception of a youth (junior) hunting licence, and
must be under the close personal supervision of a licensed adult who satisfies the qualifications to be a supervising hunter.

Supervising Hunter for an Initiation Hunter
A person who holds an initiation hunting licence commits an offence if the person hunts unless the person is accompanied by and under the close personal supervision of a supervising hunter who is 18 years of age or older and meets the prescribed qualifications.
The prescribed qualifications to be a supervising hunter are

the person must be a “resident” of B.C. and hold a resident hunting licence other than an initiation hunting licence (or be exempted from holding a licence),
the person must have held a hunting licence in B.C. (other than an initiation hunting licence) or a licence to hunt elsewhere in not fewer than 3 of any of the licence years preceding the current licence year (or be exempted from holding a licence),
if the person is an Indian residing in B.C., paragraphs (a) and (b) do not apply and the person must have received training in hunting and previously hunted lawfully without supervision, and
the person must not be prohibited from carrying a firearm.

The supervising hunter may accompany no more than two initiation hunters at one time (or no more than two youth hunting licence holders, or one youth and one initiation licence holder).
If the holder of an initiation hunting licence is hunting with a licensed guide, the prescribed qualification in item (b) does not apply to the supervising hunter.Bag Limits
Individual species licences may not be purchased under the initiation hunting licence; the holder of this licence does not have an individual bag limit for game. The supervising hunter must hold the appropriate uncancelled species licence for any species that is hunted. Any game killed by an initiation hunter must be accounted for and is part of the bag limit of the supervising hunter.

nwalter
07-04-2013, 10:26 PM
If you are going to take a course you are better off taking the core course and challenging the PAL. The CORE course cost 150 or something plus 45 or something for to challenge the fire arms

doddatto
07-04-2013, 10:31 PM
If you are going to take a course you are better off taking the core course and challenging the PAL. The CORE course cost 150 or something plus 45 or something for to challenge the fire arms
But right now he needs it cheaper the 300!! i think the initiation licence would be best. 19 bucks for his wife to hunt for a year . Deal! dam i might just do the same thing as i dont have my core, i might not like hunting id rather pay 19 bucks then 150 and find out i cant kill or gut something! i think its a great idea, and glad they are allowing it!

G.A.
07-05-2013, 09:38 AM
if i knew about the new license coming in id have done it that way. lol, i was told it was for new youth hunters not for us adults. oh well...lol
not sure about this comparing what course is harder since they are for teaching 2 diff things. of course core is harder, it has way more animal info that pal dosent have any of. and still cant hunt with just a pal.

hare_assassin
07-05-2013, 09:44 AM
if i knew about the new license coming in id have done it that way. lol, i was told it was for new youth hunters not for us adults. oh well...lol
not sure about this comparing what course is harder since they are for teaching 2 diff things. of course core is harder, it has way more animal info that pal dosent have any of. and still cant hunt with just a pal.

Actually, you can hunt "Schedule C" animals without a hunting license. ;)

hare_assassin
07-05-2013, 09:45 AM

Actually, you can hunt most "Schedule C" animals without a hunting license. ;)

bridger
07-05-2013, 11:26 AM

it seems that core and pal exams and courses are now an industry. I and a couple of other guys in fort st john were among the first core instructors in the province. We put hundreds of kids through entirely as volunteers.. Guess times just change.