PDA

View Full Version : I hate to gloat, but...

Blktail
07-03-2013, 06:11 PM
We drew 2 group hunts for moose this year, even though we were still on reduced odds from being successful 2 years ago!
Chilcotin here we come!

rocksteady
07-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Happy for you guys.....

But I hate you also...hope you understand

E.V.B.H.
07-03-2013, 06:33 PM
I was pretty sure that your odds are only reduced for one year after success. Anyone?

Hunt-4-Life
07-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Three years for moose.

Everett
07-03-2013, 07:07 PM
Funny we drew the last two years in a row as well I really wonder sometimes if they really do reduce our odds.

E.V.B.H.
07-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Ok, thanks

russm
07-03-2013, 07:37 PM
We got a moose group hunt three years ago, nothing this year...

Mikey Rafiki
07-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Reduced odds could mean a 1% reduction in odds. Unless there are published stats that I am ignorant of I don't know if it has any teeth. I know I apply for my back yard that doesn't have the best odds but I really hope one day me and my old man can hunt for moose in my grandfathers old guiding territory.

Congrats and good luck on your hunt.

Jtt
07-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Ya congrats on the draw. Good on ya. I also was succesful on a group moose hunt 2 years ago. Last year the same guy I got draw with got a single moose draw. And this year I drew one. Old man got one same area. Big Bar area. Also got cow elk draw. And wife got a local doe. Lookin like a good year;)

Jtt
07-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Still waitin for the sheep tho

ElectricDyck
07-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Cool! Good luck!

tuner
07-03-2013, 10:32 PM
after countless years of putting in for LEH draws of all sorts,(without success) finally scored group moose hunt in 8-14 for the month of november i'm so happy:-D

bigben
07-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Funny we drew the last two years in a row as well I really wonder sometimes if they really do reduce our odds.

Makes you wonder now I guess we have a great system that never fails

kennyj
07-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Saaweeet!! Sounds like a good trip coming up.
kenny

Ovis17
07-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Banned!!!!!

Sofa King
07-04-2013, 11:36 AM

I doubt they do anything. do they publish their methods anywhere? like how they determine the draw, people's odds, etc? I see no reason that there isn't a site where we can see people's draws, the years people were drawn, the odds for all draws, etc. and I want a one hour special on global where we get to see the big barrel tumbling around and them reaching in and drawing the names.

Abashai
07-04-2013, 11:46 AM
2 bull draws 2 years in a row for me too, and my brother as well. I had nothing at all for the 4 years previous though...

bcfirefly
07-04-2013, 11:59 AM
3 years of putting in for moose and 3rd LEH this year! haven't seen this 'reduced' odds thing come in as i also have gotten goat 2 yrs ago and elk this year... :)

Mikey Rafiki
07-04-2013, 12:20 PM
I doubt they do anything. do they publish their methods anywhere? like how they determine the draw, people's odds, etc? I see no reason that there isn't a site where we can see people's draws, the years people were drawn, the odds for all draws, etc. and I want a one hour special on global where we get to see the big barrel tumbling around and them reaching in and drawing the names.

I think someone just volunteered to submit a freedom of information request to the BC Government! Seriously though, the personal draw information may not be available, but I can't see them not providing info on their method of draws and reduced odds system. It costs a few bucks to submit but I'm thinking it would end a lot of BS and questioning on the way they conduct things.

DANOSON
07-04-2013, 12:35 PM
I was pretty sure that your odds are only reduced for one year after success. Anyone?

ENHANCED ODDS
Over the years, many unsuccessful Limited Entry applicants have suggested that the draw should be changed to increase the chances of those who were previously not drawn. In 1993, a new ‘enhanced odds’ system was introduced, on a trial basis, for elk in the Kootenays (Region 4). The new system reduced (by up to 50%) the likelihood of being drawn for elk anywhere in Region 4 if the applicant had been drawn in the previous year. Thus, by reducing the chances of being drawn for previously successful applicants, this system improved the odds for those who had been unsuccessful. It is important to note that previously successful people could still be drawn, but their chances were reduced compared to those who had not been previously drawn.
After a three year trial period and consultation with the B.C. Wildlife Federation, this system was introduced province wide for all species except for mule deer and white-tailed deer. Anyone who submits an application for a species (other than mule deer) they were drawn for the previous year has their chance of being drawn reduced by 50% compared to a previously unsuccessful applicant. In the case of moose and (Roosevelt) elk in Regions 1 & 2, anyone draw

DANOSON
07-04-2013, 12:38 PM
missed some on the copy and paste

In the case of moose and (Roosevelt) elk in Regions 1 & 2, anyone drawn in the previous three years will have their chances reduced by 66%.

Sofa King
07-04-2013, 12:43 PM
sure, that's what they say. but, is there any proof?

Sofa King
07-04-2013, 12:44 PM
what method are they using to reduce someone's odds by 66%?

Blktail
07-04-2013, 05:02 PM
THe math and methods for reducing odds are fairly simple. I am sure they use computers, not a big drum.

I like to think it is fair.

Reduced odds do not mean no chance. Shouldn't be a tough concept to grasp.

I bet if you phoned and asked the question you would get a decent answer. Some people are impossible to please though.

If there is any cheating going on I like to think it is minor in the scheme of things. Who would toss a government pension so his buddy can go hunting.

eric
07-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Hell I've been on reduced odds for yrs now...seems to be working just fine :tongue: