PDA

View Full Version : Goat Hunting Tips

HarryToolips
07-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Hey folks I got a LEH draw for mountain goat, never hunted em before, any tips aside from the obvious of being in good physical shape?? The draw is in Region 3 (Thompson), Sept 1 til Oct 31, I wanna go early Sept, but I know it's still blazingly hot then.It also says "
OFFENCE TO HUNT FEMALE GOAT ACCOMPANIED BY KID; SUBMIT HORNS"- ..Ok, so what about females that don't have a kid? Is this Ok or should I be targeting males only?? Thanks all

Amphibious
07-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Target males only. read up (lots online) about distinguishing between Billies and Nannies. Billies are often alone or in pairs early in the season. Be paitent and glass glass glass. You'd be suprised how well a big white goat blends in when it's lying down in the shade under a tree.

"A Beast The Color of Winter". Amazing book for the goat hunter. Available on Amazon.

Always, Always, Always, make sure you can retrieve your goat! just because you can shoot it, doesn't mean you have a hope in hell of getting it.

The rest, well, you'll soon learn why so few chase these amazing animals. How much do you love Devils club?

:)

horshur
07-03-2013, 06:05 PM
they are in the rocks!!!

rocksteady
07-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Later in the season is better if you are looking for good hair quality (length and thickness) for a head mount.. Plus later in the season they will be in the pre-rut... I think the full rut is December

Hunt-4-Life
07-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Bring good binos.

nuadixion
07-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Target males only. read up (lots online) about distinguishing between Billies and Nannies. Billies are often alone or in pairs early in the season. Be paitent and glass glass glass. You'd be suprised how well a big white goat blends in when it's lying down in the shade under a tree.

"A Beast The Color of Winter". Amazing book for the goat hunter. Available on Amazon.

Always, Always, Always, make sure you can retrieve your goat! just because you can shoot it, doesn't mean you have a hope in hell of getting it.

The rest, well, you'll soon learn why so few chase these amazing animals. How much do you love Devils club?

:)

X2
The book is great and will really help you with strategies.

Apolonius
07-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Learn to distinguish between male and female.It is very important that you make the effort to get a male.Dont give up finding one.Their color is different,horns,body structure.Males have bigger shoulders and walk a little different too.You might see them in the company of females with kids.Many times you will see a big billy with a younger one.Dont be thinking of a female with a kid.Go up there open minded,open eyes and pay attention to everything that looks out of place.Use a good spotting scope as it will save you unnessesary walking.Once you are ready keep shooting.They are very tough.Good luck with your hunt.They are a very good trophy.

decker9
07-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Like mentioned above, target Billy's! In my eyes there is no trophy in a nanny goat, but on the other hand, there is no better trophy then a billy!! Take a sleeping bag, or least a tarp if you plan of being back at the truck the same day, it doesn't always turn out that way! If you have a few days, and you spot a billy, watch him for a day, see where he eats and beds, it will give you a good idea for a plan of attack.
As amphibious mentioned, be sure you can retrieve your goat before pulling the trigger!
And the biggest thing, be safe!! Don't get your self in a pickle, it's easy to climb up into those cliffs, coming down is a different story, especially with a heavy pack.
Good luck on your first goat!! You will either love it or hate it, if you love it, be ready for your biggest addiction! Lol. Cheers!

limit time
07-03-2013, 09:04 PM
What about the weather? Rain, heat and wind? Will they have different habits in the different elements?

warnniklz
07-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Last season for me it was plus 25 one weekend, to snow the next.

I learned good rain gear is a must and a book or cards to keep you occupied at night. Didn't have so much trouble in the earlier season, but come December/January nights can be long alone in your tent.

HarryToolips
07-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Like mentioned above, target Billy's! In my eyes there is no trophy in a nanny goat, but on the other hand, there is no better trophy then a billy!! Take a sleeping bag, or least a tarp if you plan of being back at the truck the same day, it doesn't always turn out that way! If you have a few days, and you spot a billy, watch him for a day, see where he eats and beds, it will give you a good idea for a plan of attack.
As amphibious mentioned, be sure you can retrieve your goat before pulling the trigger!
And the biggest thing, be safe!! Don't get your self in a pickle, it's easy to climb up into those cliffs, coming down is a different story, especially with a heavy pack.
Good luck on your first goat!! You will either love it or hate it, if you love it, be ready for your biggest addiction! Lol. Cheers!
LOL I believe for now that I will love it as I am a sucker for relentless physical bushwhacking/mountain climbing, so I hope that will prep me enough..yes, safety is #1..and thanks as well to the rest o' ya for the tips..

ElectricDyck
07-03-2013, 09:23 PM
They are not hard to see when they are moving, so make sure you watch at prime times. Bring some climbing rope and learn how to tie a knot, a rope can cut the risk factor down when climbing down to a ledge or even down those long hard clay/sand slopes. A sleeping bag and tarp or at least rain gear and some warm clothes can make an unexpected night more comfortable when it's safer to spend the night on a slope rather than hiking down in the dark.

It's not hard to judge horns or wait and watch it piss, at close range you can see the male junk hanging, in early season we saw a female black vagina patch at 1km through a lower end spotter, know what you are shooting. Goats are my favorite, don't be in a rush and enjoy the country!

Stone Sheep Steve
07-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Sex ID inMtn Goats......
Here's one from Idaho(via our regulations)
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/docs/goat_orientation_08Utah.pdf

...and one from Alaska...
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=goathunting.billyid

SSS

rob77
07-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Finding a goat is usually the easy part, be patient and wait for the right time to shoot, like others have said getting a goat after you pull the trigger can be very difficult. In my opinion the ideal goat shot is on a bedded billy from above if possible. In my experience goats tend to (Kick out) before they go down for good and will tumble a long way down the mountain if there is nothing to hang up on which there usually isn't. It's a sinking feeling when a goat rolls by and you see horns popping off, they are not very easy to find on the mountain when they aren't attached anymore.

bigben
07-05-2013, 06:51 AM
Bring good binos.

A good spotting scope would help too good luck and congratulation

HarryToolips
07-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Sex ID inMtn Goats......
Here's one from Idaho(via our regulations)
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/docs/goat_orientation_08Utah.pdf

...and one from Alaska...
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=goathunting.billyid

SSS
Thanks man

mungojeerie
07-05-2013, 11:44 PM
I have a couple questions about goat hunting while we're at it. A buddy and I got drawn in 3-33C and neither of us have hunted goat before. We have a little bit of an idea of where we would like to start scouting.

If we start scouting and find animals, what are the chances of animals being in the same type of area during our draw sept/Oct? if we go later in the draw to avoid sweltering heat and its cooler, will the animals be lower?

Also I shoot a .270 WSM usually a 150gr berger VLD. Is this a sufficient load? I have noticed from videos that most guys go for shoulder shots... I assume this is stop them from running, and I hear their lungs are further forward than deer...... I could possibly borrow a larger caliber rifle from a buddy... a 300 mag or maybe even a 338. but I would prefer to shoot the rifle Im comfortable and confident with.

We plan on packing ultra light and camping along the hike.

backcountrybowhunter
07-06-2013, 12:21 AM
All the goats I've hunted have been in the same place in July as they are in October. Once the snow hits they start to drop down a little bit.

BCbillies
07-06-2013, 12:28 AM
I have a couple questions about goat hunting while we're at it. A buddy and I got drawn in 3-33C and neither of us have hunted goat before. We have a little bit of an idea of where we would like to start scouting.

If we start scouting and find animals, what are the chances of animals being in the same type of area during our draw sept/Oct? if we go later in the draw to avoid sweltering heat and its cooler, will the animals be lower?

Also I shoot a .270 WSM usually a 150gr berger VLD. Is this a sufficient load? I have noticed from videos that most guys go for shoulder shots... I assume this is stop them from running, and I hear their lungs are further forward than deer...... I could possibly borrow a larger caliber rifle from a buddy... a 300 mag or maybe even a 338. but I would prefer to shoot the rifle Im comfortable and confident with.

Goats tend not to move a whole lot. They should still be in the same general area but come fall they should typically be lower as the snow comes and the rut nears. On a sunny day in November the goats can also be at the top of the mountain if little snow.

Your spot on with your rifle . . . shoot the one that you are most confident with. My 270 with 130 gr Hornady's has performed better than the 300 wmag and 375 simply because I can shoot it most accurately. I don't recommend the big kickers for the high angle shots. I have the scars to prove it!

123.brewski
07-06-2013, 06:07 AM
Be patient after you spot goats that you want to get closer to. If spotting them in the morning, wait until they have had a good feed , and bed down for a while to digest. This should give you time to get close enough, and still have them in the same place. If spotting them in the evening, they should also bed down after a feed. Plan your stalk, and be up early the next day to get into shooting position when he gets up to feed again. Look for the constant curve of the billies horns, not a hook like nannies, and bases that are thick and close together , should represent a decent billie.
Good luck.

Amphibious
07-06-2013, 06:48 AM

While a 270 is a fine caliber for goats, I would be using a much tougher bullet then the Berger. They have a reputation for being very fragile, and goats have some impressive bone structure. The accubonds or TTSX available for the 270 would be my personal choice. My last billy was taken with a 308win and 130gr TTSX. worked well.

Paulyman
07-06-2013, 09:36 AM
just to give you an idea of how much goats like to stay in the same area, there is this one Valley out in the Hope area where I saw goats about 15 years ago, I also went there last year and the goats were on the exact same cliff.

HarryToolips
07-06-2013, 10:17 AM
All sounds like awesome info thanks all

SWD
07-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Glass,look for loners or small group (no kids). Watch them , till they bed down for the night. Make a run for goats next morning first light. Goats will probably be in same area they bedded night before. Try to get above them if possible. (Day Pack-water, lights,munchies,rope, game saw,compass,fire starter, matches and lighter,space blanket, leather gloves for climbing. ) Good Luck!

mungojeerie
07-07-2013, 10:11 AM
All sounds good :) Im getting more and more excited about this hunt! I will post a pic of some recovered bullets in the reloading section of the forum soon... My rifle was purchased used from a competition distance shooter who is now more interested in black powder... seemed like an older fellow.. very knowledgeable and happy to help, I also purchased the dies some brass, bullets etc off him and he sent me his recipes. I dont reload but my buddy does. The guy told me that those berger VLD's are my best bet for big game... but after recovering one from a mulie and comparing it to a factory round recovered from a bear... Im not so sure.

Thanks all for the advice thus far!

mungojeerie
07-07-2013, 12:27 PM
How wary are goats generally? what are their strengths as far as senses go..... hows their eye sight, hearing etc... can they wind you as easily as a bear or deer?

Amphibious
07-07-2013, 12:39 PM
How wary are goats generally? what are their strengths as far as senses go..... hows their eye sight, hearing etc... can they wind you as easily as a bear or deer?

Their Eyesight is quite good. I'm sure their hearing is better then yours too. If they're in a place they feel protected they'll let you climb right up the cliff next to them. My last goat watched me spend 2hrs climbing and bouldering to within 100yrds of him. never moved. I kept a very steep cliff/chute between us the entire time. He felt totally safe (my theory) with all that air between us.

They don't seem to look up much, so if you can get ontop of them, and not blow your stalk with falling rocks, you can get quite close.

geoskier
07-08-2013, 09:02 AM
I have also stalked goats out of the season (without rifle) for fun. One time I got within 20 yards, stopped to take a leak, all of a sudden two goats came charging at me. I scrambled away down the cliff face, only to watch them licking my piss for salt.

I agree, as long as they are above you, they feel safe. They know they are much better climbers than us.

rcar
07-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Make sure you are comfortable and understand shooting at steep angles. There are a lot of sites that explain this very well.

I goat hunted the East Kootenay's last September 18-25th and it was 28C during the day and the goats were super high and nearly impossible to get to. I will be pushing that date a few weeks later this year.

Try to find a book by Duncan Gilchrist "Hunt High". It is an amazing book but very difficult to find. Many sites show it available but come time to order they don't have it.

My best advice...enjoy every second. It is a rewarding hunt in every way.

Ozzy
07-15-2013, 11:05 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?66522-New-to-goat-hunting-Some-helpful-tips. Here is a past forum on goat hunting for beginners.

mungojeerie
07-16-2013, 08:32 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?66522-New-to-goat-hunting-Some-helpful-tips. Here is a past forum on goat hunting for beginners.

Thanks Ozzy