PDA

View Full Version : Moose question (NOT A DRAW THREAD)

Fella
07-03-2013, 04:35 PM
No, it's not another "I got a draw, now I need to learn about the area I'm hunting in" thread. I was on my spring black bear hunt, and I noticed a LOT of oldish moose sign, but no moose. All the poop was that old tan color, and all the tracks were old and baked into what at one time were soft muddy areas. My question is then, is this an indicator of a wintering area? I admittedly know very little of moose habits, so I'm not sure to what extent they'd migrate.

I should add that the area gets a decent amount of snow every year and is fairly high up in the mountains.

dragonslayer
07-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Not really , could have just been passing through, could be heading to wintering grounds but you have not mentioned what time of year? Also that is old crap, they may still be around just headed up higher, also you don't mention the terrain, they probably just moved up higher as weather dictates. Moose generally don't go to far.

Hunt-4-Life
07-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Look for stripped bark from smallish aspens, and specifically look for tooth marks at the bottom (to easily distinguish it from a scrape). That's winter moose sign. You can start to zero in on them from there. They don't move that far.

Fella
07-03-2013, 08:06 PM
Time of year was end of may, fairly old mature forest.

dragonslayer
07-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Keep going back and check for more sign, in the middle of july and see if things have changed, they are around, check back in again in august, around my areas sometimes I don't see shit and the next week I can count 30.