PDA

View Full Version : cow calf moose in november

Trevorg
07-03-2013, 12:52 PM
looking for any advice on hunting cow/calf in november. i know the basics, willows swampy areas etc. but what about calling, does it work for cows as well or just bulls? its in region 3-31 so if anyone has any honey holes theyd like to offer up thatd be great too :-D lol

junkyard_g
07-03-2013, 12:58 PM
calf calls can sometimes call them in, especially if their calf has been recently killed. they'll also pop their head out to see why somethings calling sometimes but not come in very far.

hare_assassin
07-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Me and some friends got cow/calf group hunt last year in 3-30.

Drive FSRs past cutblocks *early* morning. Good chance they'll be bedded down. Bang! Bang! Done.

Good luck!

BigfishCanada
07-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Drive, drive and drive some more, you could drive for 1000kms then you find where they are and focus on that area. I haven't had much luck calling that time of the year,more driving until I find fresh sign, when I do walk around the area of the fresh sign, Theres a sweet honey hole if you go west of Clinton then north a bit from there, over by the big tree on the hill. Honest, its not an easy hunt without knowing the areas and where they will be holding up, early morning drive them roads, lots of deer will be running around that area

Trevorg
07-04-2013, 08:00 AM
thanks so far guys, bigfishcanada is that the big tree on the hill with the little rock beside it?

BearStump
07-04-2013, 08:25 AM
Big Fish has it pegged. drive the fsr's cut some tracks look for sign. narrow down the area that the moose are hangin in. then concentrate on that small area. that time of year they dont travel a whole bunch and will hang out around their food sources and only really expose themselves to go from one food source to another.

ElliotMoose
07-04-2013, 09:52 AM
All good advice. Covering ground until you find an area that the animals appear to be using frequently. I usually have the best luck seeing cows and calves right at first light. If you find a cut or area with a fair amount of tracks try getting in there the next morning while its still dark, park your truck until it starts to get light out and then walk the cut at first shooting light. I have found that the cows are a lot less spooky too. They will just sit there and stare at you with that dumb look on their face. Bang flop.