PDA

View Full Version : peace river cow elk

07-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Hooee! Got a draw for cow elk in December in zone 7A. I've been up there in the fall, but I really don't know much about the area in the winter. It's got to be either private land or within 2km of private land. Does anyone know the general habits and the cow elk during the winter? I'm going to be trying to make some introductions to some farmers in the area, but if anyone has suggestions for cow elk in December, it would be so appreciated.

thanks everyone!

07-02-2013, 09:05 PM
I just read my post. I meant zone 7-20A.

Ry151
07-03-2013, 05:55 AM
720a is a huge area. I would contact the ministry and get an accurate map of the area to start with.

07-03-2013, 09:14 AM
that's a great starting point, thanks.
If there are any people out there with local knowledge of the wintering patterns for cow elk around any of the following areas: Dawson Creek, Fort St. John, Chetwynd, Hudson Hope - and you would be willing to share your knowledge, it would be great. My nephew didn't sleep last night, he was so excited to have been drawn with me haha

CamRubel
01-17-2014, 06:15 PM
I'm heading up there with a friend who was successful with the the same draw. How did things go for you and do you have any tips to pass on to us?

Swamp mule
01-17-2014, 09:13 PM
the snow has definitely melted some. IN the front yard it has gone from about 4 feet to just under 2 feet in the sun. I noticed that the grain fields are showing stubble. expecting that things will melt more in the next few days. Some bare spots are showing. Roads are either bare or icy. pending on where you are hunting you may need snowshoes. some farmers are receptive and whiles have either been burned or not experiencing the influx of elk on their haybales. when you come up and drive around take note of any fields with bales ad try to find the owner of the field and you may have luck. Don't bother with the hutterites as there is not much happening on their lands.