PDA

View Full Version : 7-39 caribou

buck400
07-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Has any one done this hunt? Got one of 4 tags.how's the drive up there an how long any imfo would be great an is it good for moose as well thx

kennyj
07-02-2013, 08:35 PM
2 day drive, LEH any bull moose, immature bulls open. Awesome caribou area. Back pack access only.
Congratulations.
kenny

NORTHERN HUNTER
07-03-2013, 12:03 AM
So you are the one who got my caribou draw........ As kenny said awesome for caribou....backpack only and don't forget the atv restriction. Shitty road 350-400km from mackenzie on gravel....no services....have fun and congrats. Beautiful country.

junkyard_g
07-03-2013, 07:45 AM
I think conifex is has been operating up the lake so the finlay portion atleast should be decent driving. lots of logging traffic for the first 100km of the Finley so stay to your side of the road. ive been right around the lake but never ventured over to 7-39, sorry.

geoskier
07-03-2013, 01:06 PM
The road is in good shape as far as the Kemess mine (unless something significant has happened since last fall).

Definitely bring fishing rods. Excellent goat hunting along the road.

swampthing
07-03-2013, 09:55 PM
I was in there a couple weeks ago. The road is in great shape up from mckenzie. I thought I saw something about the road being closed in from mckenzie during fall season?? To get within walking distance of alberts hump, which is where I believe your draw is, you need a vehichle that will get through deep road deactivations. Most guys horse in. Should be plenty of people around in there. The CO from mckenzie said he has checked up to 300 people in a week in there, not quit where you are going though.

todbartell
07-03-2013, 10:44 PM
been a while since I was there. Tagged along on a friends caribou hunt 10+ yrs ago in Mt Rognass. Seen a few caribou, he shot a smaller bull on opening day. Long pack out
beautiful country. I shot a black wolf near Alberts Hump (Claw Mtn)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/18672_215557832991_1127762_n.jpg

ace76
07-04-2013, 06:21 AM
Is there any grizzly or sheep in that country? seems to be everything else

geoskier
07-04-2013, 04:36 PM
there are sheep nearby...

sniper58
07-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Tons of grizzly. some very nice bears.
I worked at Kemess Mine for 13 years. My last spring there (2011) I counted 11 grizzlies within the mine property boundary

buck400
07-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Tons of grizzly. some very nice bears.
I worked at Kemess Mine for 13 years. My last spring there (2011) I counted 11 grizzlies within the mine property boundary

Is the mine not far from there?

Blair
07-04-2013, 09:22 PM
I was in there a couple weeks ago. The road is in great shape up from mckenzie. I thought I saw something about the road being closed in from mckenzie during fall season?? To get within walking distance of alberts hump, which is where I believe your draw is, you need a vehichle that will get through deep road deactivations. Most guys horse in. Should be plenty of people around in there. The CO from mckenzie said he has checked up to 300 people in a week in there, not quit where you are going though.

first of all it is illegal to drive anywhere near Albert's Hump. The restriction, I think, is no motorized traffic above 1450 m elevation.
Also Albert's Hump is not in 7:39. Better check the regs and maps carefully. The COs were in there watching last fall.

swampthing
07-04-2013, 09:50 PM
first of all it is illegal to drive anywhere near Albert's Hump. The restriction, I think, is no motorized traffic above 1400 m elevation.
Also Albert's Hump is not in 7:39. Better check the regs and maps carefully. The COs were in there watching last fall.

I was up too late last night. You can drive to the todogin legally and Alberts hump is indeed in the region beyond 7-39. Good thing no one ever listens to me!

Blair
07-04-2013, 10:37 PM
I was up too late last night. You can drive to the todogin legally and Alberts hump is indeed in the region beyond 7-39. Good thing no one ever listens to me!
Yes, thanks Swampthing for the information you gave me last year.

sniper58
07-05-2013, 05:48 AM
Is the mine not far from there?

Kemess is/was about 5 miles northeast of the top end of Thutade Lake.
The mine ceased production in the spring of 2011. All there is now is a summer reclaimation crew and a winter maintenance crew. My buddy's up there working Security. He says it could be a busy summer with exploration crews on the property.

ace76
07-05-2013, 06:40 AM
For some stupid reason I have been drawn for grizzly in 7-39 when I didn't apply anywhere near there and no I didn't check the box at the bottom of the card. I thought maybe a guy could go sheep or goat hunting in that zone and have the grizz tag as a plus. I live in Quesnel and many people have told me now not to go anywhere near there due to the native problem up in that area. Anyone want to do a fly in for sheep, goat, and grizz?

Jerlynn
07-05-2013, 07:36 AM
Are the deactivations immedietely after the mine then?

buck400
07-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Thank you swampthing for the imfo