PDA

View Full Version : best time for hunting moose/grizz/elk combo

monasheemountainman
07-02-2013, 05:25 PM
I know its the first day that lehs came out, and Im a dick for asking for help already, but I cant help it. Im not asking for any spots, as Im semi familiar with the area. (although it would be appreciated obviously) Im just asking, if you had a grizz tag for 7-07 and wanted to do a combo hunt for the chance at an immy, maybe calf, or elk/deer, and only had a week, which week would you choose? Im thinking like oct 5th-13th or so. anyone ever nail a fall grizz in 7-07? thanks for any input!

Ambush
07-02-2013, 05:33 PM
If I had a grizzly tag for 7-07 and that was my focus, I'd go Sept 1st. Still some salmon floating in the creeks.

Or go during calf season when there's gut piles along most drive able roads. Look for large tracks and big poop.

monasheemountainman
07-02-2013, 05:46 PM
well the season starts on the 10th, but I could see that being a good idea. Will the g-bears not be up higher that early?

Fred1
07-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Still lots of bears in 7-07. Head for the salmon ... The G bears are down low for the fish and hunting the moose calves in the flood pains - sound strange i know but thats where we see them and that where we get them, swamp... it looks like the last place you would find a Gbear, but hey everything is grizz habitat... go where the food is... The bears are on the feed, they will be moving around. Float a river - just be wary of the high water and debris that time of year. Try up high if the berries are good! As for the moose, they will be starting to rut by the 10th. Dont be affraid to do some calling! Sounds early, I know...trust me... If its hot concentrate near water (duh) and early morning. Get to your spot in the dark! Yaaahooooooooooo!!!!!
Good luck!

monasheemountainman
07-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Still lots of bears in 7-07. Head for the salmon ... The G bears are down low for the fish and hunting the moose calves in the flood pains - sound strange i know but thats where we see them and that where we get them, swamp... it looks like the last place you would find a Gbear, but hey everything is grizz habitat... go where the food is... The bears are on the feed, they will be moving around. Float a river - just be wary of the high water and debris that time of year. Try up high if the berries are good! As for the moose, they will be starting to rut by the 10th. Dont be affraid to do some calling! Sounds early, I know...trust me... If its hot concentrate near water (duh) and early morning. Get to your spot in the dark! Yaaahooooooooooo!!!!!
Good luck! Thanks for the input, Fred. Due to hunting partner availability, we probably wont be able to come out til October. So we are thinking of coming out for the calf/immy season and hopefully see a nice g-bear! Think my chances are still ok then?

monasheemountainman
07-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Bump, anyone else have input?

hunter1947
07-08-2013, 04:54 AM
well the season starts on the 10th, but I could see that being a good idea. Will the g-bears not be up higher that early?

If me I would go on the opener for Grizz ,,remember early bird get the first pick of the crop and if you can't go early then go with your in stinks go when you think its a good time to go....