PDA

View Full Version : 8-07 similkameen

goinghunting
07-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Just wondering if there are any generous HBC'ers that have any info on the 8-07 any ram tag. My partner and myself were fortunate enough to pull it this year after 21 years of trying for a sheep leh. Any information would be greatly appreciated , PM me if possable? Thanks in advance!

kako99
07-02-2013, 07:04 PM
If I was you guys go for a weekend hike before hand and be papered for the other sheep hunters on opening day. You will prob have to hike up high and they like to stick around the timber that time of year.

bc_buckshot
07-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Talk to Darrel from ashonola outtfitters. He would be the perfect start for you if he hasn't been already booked.

goinghunting
07-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Thanks guys but were not going to use an outfitter we will lay down some boot leather and see what we can find. Was just hopin someone might have a good place to start and what i would really be interested in is the caliber of rams that have been harvested in here?

Stone Sheep Steve
07-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Thanks guys but were not going to use an outfitter we will lay down some boot leather and see what we can find. Was just hopin someone might have a good place to start and what i would really be interested in is the caliber of rams that have been harvested in here?

Caliber or rams has definitely dropped in the last couple of yrs.
This draw is not like it was in the first yr or two.

SSS

goinghunting
07-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Thanks SSS, What has made the caliber drop off, have quite a few sheep been taken out of here? Or just enough with a small group of sheep that there's not any getting old anymore?
Caliber or rams has definitely dropped in the last couple of yrs.
This draw is not like it was in the first yr or two.

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
07-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Thanks SSS, What has made the caliber drop off, have quite a few sheep been taken out of here? Or just enough with a small group of sheep that there's not any getting old anymore?

First couple of years for a new draw is usually the best.
One hard core guy from HBC had the draw last yr and hunted hard for the month. Best ram he saw was maybe a 150. Ate his tag.
FN's(not sure how many do), residents and the outfitter can all hunt there now.

kako99
07-03-2013, 12:36 PM
There are some nice rams still up in that area. I was scouting around last winter when they move down lower. The sheep in that area have a mange and biologist are saying that it's slowly killing them off. So you might not get a good mount if you get one with mange. If I was you I would take the first big guy I see cause there isnt as many around as there use to be. Good luck

goinghunting
07-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Thats no good not getting me really excited about this draw, we were cancelling our stone sheep hunt for this leh hunt. Thats the unfortunate thing about leh a draw gets pumped up but without ever getting the chance to hunt an area you don't really know what your puttin in for until you've had the draw which may never happen again. Either way it will be an adventure and a first time chasing cali's for myself.
First couple of years for a new draw is usually the best.
One hard core guy from HBC had the draw last yr and hunted hard for the month. Best ram he saw was maybe a 150. Ate his tag.
FN's(not sure how many do), residents and the outfitter can all hunt there now.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Thats no good not getting me really excited about this draw, we were cancelling our stone sheep hunt for this leh hunt. Thats the unfortunate thing about leh a draw gets pumped up but without ever getting the chance to hunt an area you don't really know what your puttin in for until you've had the draw which may never happen again. Either way it will be an adventure and a first time chasing cali's for myself.

Hey, a 150" cali is still a BC book cali. Not everyone has the same standards. Plus, it is still a hunt and not every good ram will be seen during hunting season as Kako mentioned above.

goinghunting
07-03-2013, 12:46 PM
I read a little bit about the mange issue over there is it getting out of control? You didn't happen to take any pic's of any rams in there wintering grounds?
There are some nice rams still up in that area. I was scouting around last winter when they move down lower. The sheep in that area have a mange and biologist are saying that it's slowly killing them off. So you might not get a good mount if you get one with mange. If I was you I would take the first big guy I see cause there isnt as many around as there use to be. Good luck

goinghunting
07-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Do you think your buddy who had the draw would be willing to talk to me a little bit about his experience with the draw? Not I big deal if not I understand completely!
Hey, a 150" cali is still a BC book cali. Not everyone has the same standards. Plus, it is still a hunt and not every good ram will be seen during hunting season as Kako mentioned above.

kako99
07-03-2013, 01:24 PM
It's a wicked draw you have drawin. Don't let your hopes down at least it's not the 8-03 where they have a bigger problem with the mange. It's not as bad in 8-07. I will be doing some scouting early August if I can find the time. Defiantly will let you know what I see and where if I make it up. Cheers!

goinghunting
07-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Thanks Kako, did you get the draw as well?
It's a wicked draw you have drawin. Don't let your hopes down at least it's not the 8-03 where they have a bigger problem with the mange. It's not as bad in 8-07. I will be doing some scouting early August if I can find the time. Defiantly will let you know what I see and where if I make it up. Cheers!

kootenayslam
07-03-2013, 02:19 PM
sounds like the 270 twins have some work cut out to find a big boy...... stay outta the local pubs and eyes on the mountain hey:mrgreen:

kako99
07-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Never got the draw, but I do a bit of mulie hunting over there.

kootenayslam
07-03-2013, 07:38 PM
I've heard the sheep move through that area and don't always stay in the same spot early september, land access may be an issue along the river and the sheep numbers are down allot, maybe only 2 or 3 mature rams in the group.

goinghunting
07-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Thanks KS are your thoughts the same as SSS on the quality of rams in the area now?
I've heard the sheep move through that area and don't always stay in the same spot early september, land access may be an issue along the river and the sheep numbers are down allot, maybe only 2 or 3 mature rams in the group.

kootenayslam
07-04-2013, 07:57 AM
Though not many, there are going to be a couple rams way over the 150 mark i'd say closer to the 170 mark, a couple real dandy's in there right now as of last winter if the winter or the mange didn't get them

kootenayslam
07-04-2013, 06:40 PM
nice...yeah i took that off i'm sure he doesn't want guys knowing where he's staying...does he get only 1 tag?

goinghunting
07-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Now that excites me thanks KS!
Though not many, there are going to be a couple rams way over the 150 mark i'd say closer to the 170 mark, a couple real dandy's in there right now as of last winter if the winter or the mange didn't get them

bighornbob
07-04-2013, 10:32 PM

You could say that for any similkameen sheep unit. Finding them is the problem:) to the OP, don't get too concerned over score and try and get a sheep you would be happy to hang on the wall regardless of score.

BHB

goinghunting
07-06-2013, 03:48 PM
I agree fully this is the way I hunt for all animals but score is basically the only baseline to talk with people about otherwise score would be a mute topic with me. Plus any cali that has 170 inches of bone on his head would definitely get me excited enough to want to put him on the wall...... And it sure helps with motivation when the hunting gets slow to think there might be a couple real good rams somewhere in this draw area!
You could say that for any similkameen sheep unit. Finding them is the problem:) to the OP, don't get too concerned over score and try and get a sheep you would be happy to hang on the wall regardless of score.

BHB

Tīɡ
06-21-2015, 03:22 PM
How did this hunt go? Any luck on it?

charlie_horse
06-21-2015, 04:24 PM
I got a 150 ram out of there last September and I'll help out whoever Gets it this year with pretty much GPS to where the GO and myself shot our rams.

goinghunting
06-21-2015, 08:52 PM
We were skunked in 2013 on this hunt. There was something goofy going on with some private land that the GO had access to in the high country. Definetly a fustrating tag. Good to hear you connected charlie horse

dino
06-22-2015, 07:42 PM
Talk to Darrel from ashonola outtfitters. He would be the perfect start for you if he hasn't been already booked.
lol! ya right

Barracuda
06-22-2015, 07:51 PM
can you still enter an animal in the bc book if you used guide to get it?.

OutWest
06-22-2015, 08:18 PM
lol! ya right

Not sure what's with this comment, Dino. Usually hear good things about this outfitter.

aggiehunter
06-22-2015, 10:02 PM
yes you can enter it if you shoot it with a guide or a l000 yard rifle....still fair chase...why is the topic up and running anyway.

Tīɡ
06-22-2015, 10:04 PM
We were skunked in 2013 on this hunt. There was something goofy going on with some private land that the GO had access to in the high country. Definetly a fustrating tag. Good to hear you connected charlie horse

Too bad, sorry to hear that. Anymore to add on to the "something goofy" comment? And yes, congrats to charlie horse.

Barracuda
06-23-2015, 09:20 AM
yes you can enter it if you shoot it with a guide or a l000 yard rifle....still fair chase...why is the topic up and running anyway.

That surprises me as it means the resident hunter didn't really get the animal as a result of their own skill and ability but rather paid a professional for theirs . Kinda lessons the whole Trophy aspect of a book animal

dino
06-23-2015, 06:20 PM
Not sure what's with this comment, Dino. Usually hear good things about this outfitter.

from personal experience and past clients. He has seen me more than a few times in what he considers his area.