PDA

View Full Version : Bridge Closure this fall

NORTHERN HUNTER
07-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Just an FYI to those planning on hunting 7-37, 7-38, 7-40 and 7-41 this fall the bridge at 173km on the Finlay FSR will be closed starting on Sept 1 for replacement. Last I heard scheduled to take 1.5-2 months. You will still be able to access the above regions, however, you will have to travel the 200km (3-4hrs) detour through Manson Creek/ Germansen Landing and up through Usilika Lake.

Geo.338
07-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up . We will be heading up that way on about 20th of Sept. The bridge was questionable last year with a 5 ton limit . Never been to Manson Creek or Germansen , always nice seeing new country .

BiG Boar
07-02-2013, 01:21 PM
thanks for the heads up. Its a long rough drive around. Bring some extra fuel.

decker9
07-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Yup you probably saved me a whole lot of headache right here! Lol. Thanks a lot for the heads up NH! I'm hoping to be up there right in the beginning of September, for grizzly this time, or a sheep if we don't connect on our august sheep hunt. Cheers!

Vader
07-02-2013, 03:19 PM
You used to be able to get Esso to drop a barrel at a specific Km on a certain date.. Prepaid of course. I would imagine the logging companies and the mine are still burning fuel.

kennyj
07-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated.
kenny

NORTHERN HUNTER
07-02-2013, 03:57 PM
The long drive already stops allot of people from hunting up here, never mind the wear and tear on a pickup/trailer ..... It's not country that you can just add 200km to without pre-planning. There's not a Petro Can at every road juncture.

Vader
07-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Takes planning and you should take everything you think you might need and then add 10%. Complete set of tools is a must. Roads can be hard on equipment. I've come out on fumes having been in 210 kms and I took 65 gallons of fuel in for 10 day hunt. Never went further than 80kms from camp. 9 trips in and everyone was an adventure.. It's a tough hunt for sure. Not a moose around every corner.

Rackmastr
07-03-2013, 12:17 AM
The long drive already stops allot of people from hunting up here, never mind the wear and tear on a pickup/trailer ..... It's not country that you can just add 200km to without pre-planning. There's not a Petro Can at every road juncture.

No doubt! That country is big and changes in the main road can detour traffic for a couple hours and a lot of km's on the truck!

Thanks for the update Northern Hunter! Look forward into getting into that country again next year maybe!

NORTHERN HUNTER
07-03-2013, 12:23 AM
I have a good friend in forestry who is in the know on the project of the new bridge. If there are any changes in the dates or anything else related I will make sure to update the thread.

butcher
07-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Shit! I need to go up there for work in mid Sept. only about 25 km past the closure. That's gonna add some overtime.

Geo.338
07-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Northernhunter . Can you shed any light on the condition of the detour route . Will we make it through towing a car hauler with a samurai on it ?

We have a couple Grizz and late moose draws back there . Hopefully it will be back in service on the way out .

NORTHERN HUNTER
07-03-2013, 09:58 PM
I will make another phone call tomorrow about the closure but it was a go as of 3 days ago. I have only driven the detour in the winter and it sucks, really windy from Germansen up to Usilika lake. I can't see why you wouldn't be able to get a car hauler up the road though.

butcher
07-04-2013, 04:27 PM
I drove it last fall and it was pretty rough between usilika Lk and osilinka camp.talked the regional fisheries bio and he told me it has been improved since. Not confirmed though.

emerson
07-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Where exactly is km 173? Is the date still set?

7mm mag sniper
07-10-2013, 06:40 PM
we have are grizz draw in 737 never been in that area any info on how and where we should go would be appreciated

junkyard_g
07-10-2013, 07:35 PM
if they're detouring they'll be grading the detour often during that time. They'll have to maintain reasonable road conditions for tsay key and fort ware. bring two spares as well. i blew one on the way into 7-40 the other year and was sweating the rest of the trip. had to rustle up a shitty spare in tsay key. tranny went two days later, had to fly out and come back with a tow bar. prepare for every contingency up there. be familiar with the camp locations out there too in case u need help back there (ospika camp, fort ware, etc)

Vader
07-11-2013, 07:00 AM
It's a long way from anywhere. You best be good with tools and expect the unexpected. I did nine trips up that way and had to repair something each time. Spares for truck and trailer are a must. For the tubeless tires carry lots of plugs 'n glue. I never had a flat but saw many that were on their third. I've fixed everything from 4x4 actuators to broken springs to brakes that fell apart. I believe the retaining spring rod I made from a galvanized nail using camp fire and a dremel is still in the truck today. That was a 1994 trip.

There are folks and other hunters up that way that will lend you stuff to get out but it's best to go with a survival mode attitude.
Can't carry a spare motor or a tranny, (that would have sucked big time). We blew a clutch on the way back in Lac La Hache at 3 in the morning one trip which was bad enough.

Your equipment best be in top notch condition to run in there. Any suspect parts should be changed prior to the trip and fresh oils in everything. Grease it up good and make sure the dumb assed spare tire crank is free. Put cardboard over your canopy window at the back. Rocks from the road bounce off the trailer and the result is a box full of glass over everything you own and possibly your meat and if you have nothing to fill the hole, you will have half an inch of dust or mud on everything.

Blair
08-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Does anyone have any updates on the road/bridge closure? I called Claw Mt. at Black Lake today and they didn't know anything about it.

butcher
08-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Just spoke to the ministry engineer and he confirmed it is from sept 1 to nov 1
according to the flnro small lakes bio the alternate route is in pretty good condition

Blair
08-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Just spoke to the ministry engineer and he confirmed it is from sept 1 to nov 1
according to the flnro small lakes bio the alternate route is in pretty good condition
Thanks Butcher

junkyard_g
08-16-2013, 11:00 PM
dates are the same. 173km is near the tip of the omineca arm.

mexican
08-16-2013, 11:40 PM
i believe they are not maintaining the road anymore either, so lots of spare rubber is a must, i guided up their for a many years

NORTHERN HUNTER
08-17-2013, 12:44 AM
I was told today that there may be a barge crossing at the 173 in order to forgo the detour. I was also told that a toll may apply. Will post more once I know more.

NORTHERN HUNTER
08-25-2013, 12:52 AM
The closure has been moved to the 4th of September until November 1st.

junkyard_g
08-25-2013, 11:52 PM
barge crossing is not a go last i heard, no one wants to foot the bill. Wouldn't doubt if they had something in place for emergencies, but not for recreational users.

Blair
08-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Here is the latest word from forestry:

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dmk/