PDA

View Full Version : Proof of Kill

gathto
06-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Had a call recently from a CO, said he was investigating a sheep kill where only the head and cape were taken. He asked if I had pictures proving that I had taken my meat out with me, which of course I did.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Is it really getting to the point that we have to cover our butts now with pictures. Where's the ethics of hunting going?

kako99
06-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Simaler case happen to my uncle. Lawyer said they can't do any thing just trying to start a case.

Ltbullken
06-26-2013, 01:17 PM
So what if you did not have pictures? What would or could the CO do? When was this kill made and why investigate now? Hunting season hasn't opened for sheep yet that I know of.

gathto
06-26-2013, 01:21 PM
This was from Sept. 2012 hunt.

06-26-2013, 01:25 PM
I would think they would need to proove you did not take out the meat. If you did take out the meat you should be good. Maybe i have too much faith in the system,,, but if you were hunting with other people and you took out what you legaly had to it will be your word against who ever reported you.

gathto
06-26-2013, 01:35 PM
He wasn't so much as investigating me in particular but going through a process of elimination of all those hunters that had a compulsory inspection done. He was calling all of us and I think trying to eliminate all those that could prove they took out their meat.

My point was its sad that we should now consider taking pictures of what we do during our hunt as back up to prove innocents in these situations.

Ron.C
06-26-2013, 01:36 PM
I agree, it is sad. And if the CO's did nothing, people would be up in arms. Blame the ones who left the meat that resulted in the CO's having to investigate. I don't fault the CO's for doing what little they can do in this circumstance.

gutpile
06-26-2013, 01:45 PM
So what if meat is left in the field, i know it's not legal but no meat
is going to go to wast ! other animals will feed on it.

06-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Really difficult to prove. By now a 2012 sheep could be totally consumed, and who takes pictures of their meat? (minds out of the gutter please)! I've never done that.

steel_ram
06-26-2013, 02:15 PM

Lame justification.

sawmill
06-26-2013, 02:17 PM

Seriously? No Soup For You 1horn.

Drillbit
06-26-2013, 02:34 PM
CO should have a DNA sample from the carcass to test against suspects with same animal cape/head. Anything else is pretty hard to prove.

They do use DNA sampling in some areas.....

I know my Grizz inspection they took a blood sample, do they do that for sheep? Would be pretty easy to find out who's sheep it was through inspections if the CO found the carcass.

Check out NB moose laws if you want to see some serious business. Need permits for amount of meat in your freezer even.

TARCHER
06-26-2013, 03:24 PM
I say the co's would have the onis to prove they're case. Anytime you take an animals life, you should at least bone out the 4 quarters and make a 100% effort to utilize it.

rides bike to work
06-26-2013, 03:33 PM
I think you better show all of us those pics just in case you need witnesses on your side

Salty
06-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Agreed its a shame that this kind of thing needs to happen. But its no different than being on a street where a robbery or whatever had just happened, the cops will talk to you and ask for some evidence that it wasn't you that just did the heist if you're at the wrong place at the wrong time. Sure hope the COs find who did this and charge their ass. I'm going to guess whoever did it didn't have a draw and didn't do a compulsory inspection. ..ie poachers!

Sofa King
06-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Had a call recently from a CO, said he was investigating a sheep kill where only the head and cape were taken. He asked if I had pictures proving that I had taken my meat out with me, which of course I did.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Is it really getting to the point that we have to cover our butts now with pictures. Where's the ethics of hunting going?

ask the CO if he has pictures of you NOT taking the meat out.
if he doesn't, tell him to F himself and go after the real poachers out there.

TARCHER
06-26-2013, 04:06 PM
I'd just about think about becoming a teacher for a nice big sheep roast. Some of the best meat going

Confused
06-26-2013, 04:28 PM
He wasn't so much as investigating me in particular but going through a process of elimination of all those hunters that had a compulsory inspection done. He was calling all of us and I think trying to eliminate all those that could prove they took out their meat.

My point was its sad that we should now consider taking pictures of what we do during our hunt as back up to prove innocents in these situations.

I guess he is assumming that the person that just took the head and cape actuaally had it inspected. maybe, maybe not.

The CO service is badly in need of a redo, their prioirities are screwed up(not saying this particicular incident shouldn't be investigated though). They are constantly looking for the "low hanging fruit". And assume everyone is guilty. Not only that most of them don't even know some of the rules, or have some lame interpretation.
Oh well, just another rant on a piece of our ever non evolving fish, wildlife and habitat wing of government.

boxhitch
06-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Not only that most of them don't even know some of the rules, or have some lame interpretation.Come on , serious ?:rolleyes: Lame because it was different than yours ?

Sounds like the CO was on a fishing trip , about all he could do with no evidence , hoping someone would trip and fess up.
They have to follow up complaints , to some degree.

Moose Guide
06-26-2013, 05:53 PM
You can bet that he has DNA from the carcass, he is just eliminating as many sheep as he can before they start testing. They caught a local fellow that dropped a sheep carcass down a mine shaft, once they found the carass he was done!

BearSupreme
06-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Who would bring an illegal animal to an compulsory office? This sounds like harassing law biders to me...

bridger
06-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Taking pictures of the meat standard procedure in the yukon. Our guides layed all the meat out on tarps and took several pictures to show the co's we had taken the meat out.

Fred1
06-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Anyone here who has shot a sheep and not taken a shit load of pics??!! Thats what I thought... so show the CO the pics and have a good chat about your great trip!!!

RiverOtter
06-26-2013, 06:54 PM
All I gotta say Gathto, is that sheep you "didn't" pack out, sure tasted good.............:-D

kendoo
06-26-2013, 07:33 PM
When the inspector drilled a hole in my sheeps horn to epoxy a # plug in he kept the shavings & said it's kept for DNA sample.

Sofa King
06-26-2013, 08:03 PM

so, you are condoning breaking the hunting laws??

Hunt-4-Life
06-26-2013, 09:08 PM

Sorry "hunting champ" OHB, I really hope you don't mean that. Leaving a whole sheep on the hill minus only the head and cape? If you're into that sell your guns/bows. That is a sickening crime and I hope the CO gets the SOB that did it.

panhead
06-26-2013, 09:18 PM
If ya ain't gonna eat it ... don't shoot it. Simple

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As clear as a river of Bacardi

Moose Guide
06-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Who would bring an illegal animal to an compulsory office? This sounds like harassing law biders to me...

If you want to get it mounted you must get it inspected or no taxidermist will touch it! A local man poached a ram on mine property and dropped the carcass down a mine shaft, he had the head inspected and it was at the taxidermists when the CO's finaly found the carcass. He lost the head and his license for 3.5 years as well as a good sized fine.

Jelvis
06-26-2013, 09:25 PM
The C.O. that comes to you might have been sent by his superior to check certain events that you talked about with him/her. Following the strings and the chain of command, a person would have to know exactly what happened b4 I could make any judgment on what actually happened and what is a grey area. Jel .. Someone found a carcass I'm guessing without a head and cape. Just imagining like anyone else does.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Always take pics of our meat on backpack trips(well...when we actually kill something). Never post them here but we have them if needed.

SSS

Drillbit
06-26-2013, 10:51 PM
If ya ain't gonna eat it ... don't shoot it. Simple

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As clear as a river of Bacardi

That logic doesn't go very far on a farm/ranch. There are lots of things that need to be shot to preserve/protect livelihood and not for a food source (basically a competition for a food source though)

hunter1947
06-27-2013, 03:55 AM
I always take picture of where I killed my animal as for when I get it back to camp ,,,,pictures don't lie ..

panhead
06-27-2013, 08:39 AM
That logic doesn't go very far on a farm/ranch. There are lots of things that need to be shot to preserve/protect livelihood and not for a food source (basically a competition for a food source though)

Oh sure, agree completely, I've seen how hard it is to "keep the wolves at bay" first hand many times. Literally. Ranchers have a hard enough time wrestling a living without having to fend off critters. They feed many moose when the snow get's high enough for them to get into their stackyards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can only fish down the food chain for so long before even the guppies are cleaned out.

The Hermit
06-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Really difficult to prove. By now a 2012 sheep could be totally consumed, and who takes pictures of their meat? (minds out of the gutter please)! I've never done that.

LOL made me laugh... can you prove you've never take a picture of your "meat"

limit time
06-27-2013, 09:56 AM
Does everyone butcher the meat themselves? Don't need pics with a butcher receipt.

Drillbit
06-27-2013, 10:43 AM
I think the above mentioned sheep was "wild" not domestic. I have no idea how ranching has anything to do with this thread...

Just saying that you don't have to eat Everything you kill/shoot.

Protecting livestock/crops is the easiest explanation for this.

Some animals are hunted and killed for food, others are hunted and killed to preserve or protect the "food" animals or the "food" animals food
We as hunters do not need to eat everything we kill, it depends on the animal.

Where did that idea come from, keeping the Non-hunters happy?

Mr. Dean
06-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Lets keep to point, shall we?

I've never taken pictures of meat, be it quarters or steaks.
Like what the hell would I want with them???

GreatWhitePopogeebo
06-27-2013, 02:28 PM
The point is you kill animal take meat your going to eat leave everything else behind, is someone gonna bitch cause you left 50inch ram head behind and took all meat. To each his own. I like griZz I eat you don't leave behind oh well.

RiverOtter
06-27-2013, 06:31 PM
is someone gonna bitch cause you left 50inch ram head behind and took all meat.

The CO's for starters. I'd not wanna get pinched with a buncha sheep meat and no horns to prove legallity of said meat.....

I like Alaska's rules for trophys, where all edible portions must be removed before the antlers/horns are packed out, unless you can do it all in one trip.

Fred1
06-27-2013, 06:41 PM
The CO's for starters. I'd not wanna get pinched with a buncha sheep meat and no horns to prove legallity of said meat.....

I like Alaska's rules for trophys, where all edible portions must be removed before the antlers/horns are packed out, unless you can do it all in one trip.

Great rule!!

slipshot56
06-27-2013, 07:16 PM
I don't understand why anyone would kill an animal you can harvest meat off of and leave the meat behind. At the very minimum there are several places you can take the meat and have it donated. Like we need to feed the overpopulated coyotes.