PDA

View Full Version : Any buck or 4 pt

DropTines
01-09-2007, 04:51 PM
What do you like better, any buck or 4 point, choose what you would want if it was your decision, don't worry about the money or tags that wouldn't be bought. :|

Onesock
01-09-2007, 05:35 PM
If the deer population could handle it any buck, and then you could shoot a 4 point if you so desire and others could still hunt. We have to have hunter recruitment. If the deer numbers are down then 4pt rather than no season.

ruger#1
01-09-2007, 05:44 PM
four point season, always keeps you in control and focused on looking for four points.

JMac
01-09-2007, 05:49 PM
IMO "disabled", "new hunters", and "youths" any buck. Everyone else four point.

hunter1947
01-09-2007, 05:49 PM
In cranbrook area years back they used to have any buck for mulies ,it got to the point that the population was down low in numbers. The last 10 years they have only 4 point season ,now in the last 2 years the deer population for mulies is coming back strong. hunter 1947.

CanAm500
01-09-2007, 05:55 PM
If the deer population could handle it any buck, and then you could shoot a 4 point if you so desire and others could still hunt. We have to have hunter recruitment. If the deer numbers are down then 4pt rather than no season.

X2. :mrgreen:

J_T
01-09-2007, 06:47 PM
There are a lot of mature bucks that never reach 4 pt, particularly in the Mule deer.

If the population can support it, it depends on what we want, hunter recruitment, hunter retention, then it must be any buck. If you want to hunt 4 pt, all the power to ya.

Keep in mind, if the population is more vulnerable, employing special seasons can maintain opportunity.

JT

30-06
01-09-2007, 06:53 PM
i put 4 Point Season..but if you want any buck theres no problem with it..because even if you want a 4 point you can still hunt one..and if the last day of the season you can still get any buck for the freezer..any buck is also good for youth,beginners,elderly,meat hunters...any buck is good for everyone..just my opinion

Woodrow
01-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Just look at Fort St John, they have a 4 point only season and there are a ton of deer there. lots of big bucks come out of that area!

wsm
01-09-2007, 06:58 PM
I prefer to hunt four point season, but prefer to eat younger deer. I take a young buck early and then only hunt four pionters for the rest of the season.

john-brennan
01-09-2007, 07:15 PM
I chose 4 point cause that is what i like to hunt and in B.C. where i hunt the season is at the perfect time for 4 point or better.

30-06
01-09-2007, 07:17 PM
well said WSM

LeverActionJunkie
01-09-2007, 07:37 PM
I put any buck season, it's too bad that the populations can't handle it, cause I don't like chewin on stinky old wall hangers.

Mulies
01-09-2007, 07:40 PM
This fall are group of four hunters in 12 days took one nice 5pt. and a smallish 4. We turned down a number of smaller bucks and had a great hunt. When we got back one of the guys talked to a local bioligist about the short supply of bigger deer and asked if they were going to go back to the 1st of november for 4 point or better again. He was told that most hunters are meat hunters and they would take the first legal buck that they saw. If its 4pt. or better than they have to wait until they hopfully see a larger buck. They found that more of the larger deer were being taken.

Jetboat
01-10-2007, 12:10 AM
Just look at Fort St John, they have a 4 point only season and there are a ton of deer there. lots of big bucks come out of that area!

Shhh...don't tell :wink: :smile:

Bigbuckadams
01-10-2007, 06:39 AM
Although I am voting for the 4-point season, I think you need a third choice here. The way it is done in Region 8 ( as well as others ) is close to what I think would be ideal. Any buck season for Youth, disabled & new hunters is cool with me. I do think the any buck season should only last 7-10 days. That should be more than enough time for a "meat hunter" to put some in the freezer. By placing this season around Oct 10-20, this would have given the smaller & "non-educated" bucks a bit of a chance to wisen up during the first 5-6 weeks of a 4-point season. *** However, all that being said, some fully mature bucks never reach 4-point status & these bucks are spreading their genetics around.....GTG to work...to be continued...lol

Soup
01-10-2007, 08:10 AM
The Peace is a good example of game managment, especially for trophy deer, but there is way more factors involved than just the 4 pt season. IMO the fact that it is the most remote, that there is a lot of private land and most importantly the length of the season contribute more to the quality of deer in that area. I can't imagine the deer herds and trophy potential if that type of season was throughout the province. That being said, I prefer the any buck season, because if I see a nice mature buck, I need not worry about weather there is a 4th point or not, some situations you don't have time to count. There has been times in both seasons that I've eaten tag soup, not because of lack of oppertunity, but because I was selective. I like having the choice, rather than a restriction.
We are extremely lucky in B.C. given our oppertunities, some places in the states the season is only a week or 2, but the quality of deer suffer for our liberal seasons. You can't really have both, but I think B.C. is about as close as you can get.:)

Fisher-Dude
01-10-2007, 09:08 AM
In cranbrook area years back they used to have any buck for mulies ,it got to the point that the population was down low in numbers. The last 10 years they have only 4 point season ,now in the last 2 years the deer population for mulies is coming back strong. hunter 1947.

That was not because of hunting pressure, but rather it was because of a bad winter that kicked the numbers down.

I'm like many on here, I like a good eater for the freezer earlier in the season, then I'll hunt some bone. I passed up about 25 opportunities at smaller bucks during the any buck season this year. Near the end of the season, I get a bit less selective and will put a sausage buck down.

If the population can handle it, the any buck season is a great way to keep hunter numbers up.

model88
01-10-2007, 11:50 PM
4 point season all the way, the quality and quantity of bucks that we are seeing around the East Kootenays is great. Yeah it could be from the mild winters we are having, but I am sure that the point restriction has helped.

Allen50
01-11-2007, 01:35 AM
any buck is ok, but to make you a good skilled hunter 4 point is better, you have to look and make sure what your shooting at, any one can go out and shoot the first buck you see, but to spot and hunt something 4 point bucks. makes your hunting skills that much sharper, and in the long run will make you a better hunter, makes you think about your hunting enviroment, and your seroundings, you have to hunt, not just go shoot something a deer,, i guess it also deponds on the area your in, finding a black tail deer on the island with 4 points would be a trophy,, well anyway thats just my though,,

hunter1947
01-11-2007, 05:32 AM
That was not because of hunting pressure, but rather it was because of a bad winter that kicked the numbers down.

I'm like many on here, I like a good eater for the freezer earlier in the season, then I'll hunt some bone. I passed up about 25 opportunities at smaller bucks during the any buck season this year. Near the end of the season, I get a bit less selective and will put a sausage buck down.

If the population can handle it, the any buck season is a great way to keep hunter numbers up. The winter of 96 did not help for deer survival that year but even before then the mu lies were falling big time and a another reason for it is that the had a short open season for doe mu lies. hunter 1947.

YoungGun
01-11-2007, 06:43 PM
4 point cus i dont have to worry about a tom, dick, or harry that doesn't know what he's doin and is really careless! Quieter area and safer one too!

Blktail
01-12-2007, 11:26 PM
I have put in my time and boot leather hunting Vancouver Island and other coastal areas. I usually get a deer (or sometimes two) every year, but I have shot only two 4-points in 28 years. I have only seen a couple others while hunting (except city deer).

I don't have a lot of time to hunt each year, plus ny main goal is venison, not antlers. (Even though I have a fetish for bone, shot or shed.)

Any buck is my preference and leave the 4-points for the lucky, those with time and those with skill.

Having said that, a 4-point season is preferable to a closure or LEH only.

craigchaplin
01-12-2007, 11:35 PM
One reason i chose any buck is because i don't have alot o time to hunt out of town and also because i am still a novice......thats said i think when i feel i have enough experience as a deer hunter and have some more time to spend hunting and scouting i will probably try to go after the "bigger" bucks fer sure. But fer now i will stick with the any buck season in areas where they allow it.

NightOwl74
01-13-2007, 09:07 PM
In cranbrook area years back they used to have any buck for mulies ,it got to the point that the population was down low in numbers. The last 10 years they have only 4 point season ,now in the last 2 years the deer population for mulies is coming back strong. hunter 1947. Correct me if I am wrong but I think years ago(maybe within last 15) in region 8-8 they closed mulie hunting altogether, then a few years later opened it back up with a early any-size buck/late 4 pt. season and now we have the most mule deer(especially bucks) that I have ever seen around the Okanagan. I personally like the option of shooting a younger early season buck for meat if the biologists who study these animals populations say the area can support these harvests.