PDA

View Full Version : Butcher Treats

mungojeerie
06-26-2013, 12:39 AM
Just wanted to say that I know I've heard complaints about Kurt at Sumas Meats... in fact I've heard complaints about every butcher I've ever used... someone will always have a problem, sometimes theyre warranted, sometimes they arent.

Ive been going to Kurt for a cpl years now for all my sausage etc. Recently I had a bunch of stuff done by him and it was no exception to his usually excellent work.

Spring bear turned out awesome! I had him do pepperoni, farmers sausage, salami & Chorizo. The pepperoni is good, though Im not a pepperoni fan... everyone else loves it though. The farmers sausage is amazing, butterflied & BBQ'd it is absolutely fantastic! The chorizo is also fantastic, its got bite, but not too much... very very nice. And the salami... makes fantastic sandwiches!
http://www.bugboy.ca/ForumPics/BearSausage.jpg

I also brought him all of the duck & goose breasts that myself and a buddy had saved up over this past season and had him turn it into a waterfowl beer sausage... let me tell you it tastes wonderful with cheese & crackers... everyone that tastes it, loves it. Without a doubt well worth saving up your birds for!
http://www.bugboy.ca/ForumPics/WaterfowlBeerSausage.jpg

Wullfen
06-26-2013, 01:14 AM
Beautiful looking collection of meat.

Sofa King
06-26-2013, 01:22 AM
i'm sure it's like everything.
some have great experiences and some have problems.

like myself and taxidermy.
i never thought i'd ever kill something good enough to make me want to have it mounted.
then, i had the most memorable hunting and harvest experience ever, and just had to had it captured.
and i chose someone that i considered a friend, as well as the fact that he did great work.
especially the eyes, that was important to me.
the eyes capture the soul after-all.

needless to say, it went for shit.
sure, i heard excuse after excuse every time he saw me out in public.
but then i'd be in his store and wander back to look at the rack, and every time, there were several new ones put in front of mine.
eventually, after a very, very long time, i went in and took my rack.
i lost my cape though, which was as integral and significant as the rack itself.

North49
06-26-2013, 01:50 AM
Mmm thats a tasty looking pile of meat

Sofa King
06-26-2013, 02:01 AM
Mmm thats a tasty looking pile of meat

that's what he said.

hunter1947
06-26-2013, 05:42 AM
I like how you vacuum packed all this is the way to preserve you meat for a long time http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png..

mungojeerie
06-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Yup, and it tastes even better than it looks... Kurt has always treated me well, and until I personally have an issue with him I will continue to use him as my sausage butcher.. he does an outstanding job and his product is top notch.

Vacuum packing everything is a pain in the rear end... but well worth it. I vacuum pack a lot of game and fish... as long as it's sealed well it keeps for a long long time. The bear took a few hours to prep, package, label etc... but it was well worth it, had a buddy give me a hand... we had a few beer, ate pepperoni as we packaged, took a dinner break to BBQ some of the farmers sausage & chorizo... and I gave him a portion of the final product as thanks.

coquitlam
06-27-2013, 07:56 AM
I too am a huge fan of Kurt, I know some people are not but he has done nothing but over performed for me.

Fincat
06-27-2013, 08:39 PM
WOW That is a good looking bunch of meat. It looks to me that he knows what he was doing. Not like the guy we had. I got a bison draw for late jan.2013 and harvested a small Bison. Remember went from VI to Pink Mountian to do this in Jan. not cheap and took the meat toa meatcutter that was recomended to me from a local Bison farm, which I thought should know good from bad!!!! It was the worst I have ever had or seen!!! He never clean any of his bandsaw shavings off the meat with he wrap it. I had to cut a blood shoot piece off a roast. Some of the steaks are as tough as nails. Never Again!!!!
We generallly use a guy called Savona Custom Meats and he does a great job but then we need to figure out a way to get it to VI. It would be great to find some one closer to home.

NaStY
06-28-2013, 01:30 AM
Good to hear you guys have a good experience with him. It only took one phone call to him and I will never go there. Sure he may do good work but his customer service is to be desired.

andrewscag
07-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Beauty!

I have the same opinion of ennis meats. Not a great rep but I've been very happy with everything they've done for me. This years salami was outstanding

f350ps
07-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Good to hear you guys have a good experience with him. It only took one phone call to him and I will never go there. Sure he may do good work but his customer service is to be desired.
Yer not gonna date the guy, he's a butcher for christ sakes! So he can be an a$$hat at times he's still one of the best around, I wish more guys felt the way you do! :) K