PDA

View Full Version : Alberta bound???again

srupp
06-24-2013, 11:09 PM
well I have gotten my buddy to try and pull a moose tag for me in Alberta..think I have 9 years senority for moose..and could also hunt GOS mulies and Gos whities..makes a great trip out to see friends..hint hint..hope my moose (if I draw) is as proportionally as big as my really good ALBERTA buddies 12 pound rainbow he caught here a few weeks ago on fly....:mrgreen::tongue: my luck...a 13 pound moose..lol...... will go out for the rut..second week of Oct. should give me some sheep time for bighorns before...and maybe a mulie...

Should be a blast always has been before....

cheers
Steven

coach
06-24-2013, 11:14 PM
Best of luck, Steven. I hope you are successful and look forward to a great story and pictures.

Drillbit
06-24-2013, 11:37 PM
Good luck with your draws!

I'm going very soon.....hoping for a B&C gopher! Actually just hoping for LOTS of them:)

Time to make the annual prairie gopher tour for me

GoatGuy
06-25-2013, 12:18 AM
Best of luck, might be headed out there myself - 10 on speed goats.

BiG Boar
06-25-2013, 06:46 AM
And people say, oh, I wish we had the alberta system for LEH. 9 years....hahahaha. That puts me well into my 40's if I were to start applying now. For a stinkin' moose! Yeah, no thanks.

Blainer
06-25-2013, 07:07 AM
Do you not live in moose country?

GoatGuy
06-25-2013, 03:53 PM
And people say, oh, I wish we had the alberta system for LEH. 9 years....hahahaha. That puts me well into my 40's if I were to start applying now. For a stinkin' moose! Yeah, no thanks.

Some people believe that thing on top of their shoulders is only there for decoration.

Brez
06-25-2013, 04:20 PM

at least you'd get one!
I've been applying for over 20 years for moose here and got squat, nada to show for it!!!

Brez
06-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Good luck srupp

BruceW
07-12-2013, 04:48 PM

I suspect if you knew how our system works you'd be pining for it as well. If you're willing to do the research and planning, you can hunt pretty much whatever you like. This year wife has a calling season moose tag, I have local doe tags and will be drawn for doe antelope. I knew what we'd be drawn for this year 4 years ago. Next year wife and I will get cow and bull elk tags respectively, then we'll hunt first rifle season at Camp Wainwright. I'll also have a calling season moose tag next year.
The following year wife will have a calling season moose tag, we'll get drawn for mule buck and we'll both have local doe tags if we want them. Starting next year I can also hunt sheep whenever I like. Very simply, I could plan our hunts for the next 10 years, right now. (allowing into account random things like the massive die off of deer here in the SE in 2010)

Not trying to be a smartass, but you guys can keep your random draws. If you do your homework here with draw results and draw wmu's, I really can't fathom a better system. You always read guys complaining about not getting drawn or, "mistakes", in actual fact the one's complaining couldn't be bothered to look at draw histories, and the, "mistakes" have been, in every time I have ever heard of, the draw applicant screwing up his application.
Yes, if you want to hunt in one certain wmu that's currently popular you're going to have to wait your turn; but, if you want to wait your turn, you Will get your turn, in your turn, and not one person will be drawn twice before you have your turn. Can't get fairer than that.

On top of that there are over the counter general tags for mule, WT, bull elk, sheep, bear, cougar. Oh, and then there are also the undersubscribed tag opportunities for most species, and then of course the occassional cull hunts like the cow elk hunt in Suffield last winter, first come, first to be served.

I don't buy lottery tickets, I only go for a sure thing. :wink:

I really hope I didn't come across like a dick, that wasn't my intention; I honestly can't think of a reason for every province not adapting a similar, Fair system other than the pride of gov't employee's for not thinking of it first. I was hunting back in AB's, "random draw" days. No thanks.

In any case, best of luck to everyone this year!

fuzzybiscuit
07-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Did you get your draw for Moose, Srupp?

Antlered Muley and Moose for me. First year drawing as a resident of Alberta.

07-12-2013, 05:28 PM
BC and Alberta are two totally different beasties when it comes to handling the draws and the different approaches seem to work in each province. Sure, its random here in BC but not impossible. Our gang defied the odds with a 14:1 successful draw while "enhanced" for bull moose this year in 5-13. Last year all 5 in our family had moose draws in our pockets. Over the years the random draw system we have in BC has been good to us, plus BC has a lot of GOS to hunt. Draw results for Alberta came out today........ nada with them this year, but still worth throwing in for. Can argue about which is the best system but at the end of the day, hunters from either province have it good in so much as we can hunt in either province and both have a lot of game, successful draws are icing on the cake!

pronghorn
07-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Good luck Steven can't wait for pictures

Wild one
07-12-2013, 06:30 PM

Lots of moose tags that don't take 9 years in Alberta (Odds are srupp was applying 999 to build priority for the season he wanted it) . You can also call in and by tags that are left over from the draw. Also GOS and archery seasons for moose. Not all that bad in my opinion. Pick up a bow and you can hunt cow or bull every year without travelling all over the place.

If you play the odds like you would in BC you don't need to wait long for a draw in Alberta. Totally different management system in Alberta and it gives a lot of opportunity if you use it correctly.

dana
07-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Our list of GOS rivals any jurisdiction in North America. You can keep what you have in Alberta. There is no comparison to BC.

srupp
07-12-2013, 07:11 PM
hmmm aparantly my hunter Host has to have enough seniority as I do..and so we drew a blank... so no Alberta hunt this year..limited to maybe helping some young hunters by calling in some moose?? or Spenses bridge sheep viewing..lol
a deer hunt here I may just go Cali bighorn hunting found a couple that may be shooters..all I DO have so far is a flat top in the winter in the peace river..

Man plans God decides..

cheers and good luck to all...

fuzzybiscuit
07-12-2013, 08:19 PM
I would have to agree with you Dana. Unfortunately BC leh's are a thing of the past for me.

Home is where you hang your hat and for the foreseeable future that will be northern Alberta for me and my family.

I look forward to coming back to the Island each year to hunt Blacktails with my dad and maybe one of these years I'll get in on a leh Rosie hunt with him if he is lucky enough to get a draw.

Rackmastr
07-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Headed over to chase Alberta prairie mulies this year!! Should be fun way to hunt with a couple good buddies out in the prairies!! Sometimes I miss those badlands!

As for Alberta vs BC draw, both have some great advantages and disadvantages. Easy to plan out hunts in Alberta on draw as you know how long some are to wait. You can draw tags easily in a lot of zones with minimal priority or have options to wait and build or get under subscribed tags as well. BC lottery option is great to get a good start and have equal chances, but hard to plan in advance. Best thing BC has is the sheer number of GOS options out there. Thats no comparison IMO....

I loved living in AB and the opportunities, but man oh man do I love living here right now! Lookin forward to going for a hunt with friends back there this year though!!

Springer
07-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Lots of moose tags that don't take 9 years in Alberta (Odds are srupp was applying 999 to build priority for the season he wanted it) . You can also call in and by tags that are left over from the draw. Also GOS and archery seasons for moose. Not all that bad in my opinion. Pick up a bow and you can hunt cow or bull every year without travelling all over the place.

If you play the odds like you would in BC you don't need to wait long for a draw in Alberta. Totally different management system in Alberta and it gives a lot of opportunity if you use it correctly.

Yes you hit nail one the head Wild one. Steve has lots of priority points due to 999, however i used mine up a couple years back and you go in with the lowest priority points. My only Gripe with Alberta is that Steve could not draw in the prairie zones . And that is where i like to hunt my grain fed Moose. The AB system requires a Non res to apply with and albertan Res so you both have to heave enough points for the WMU. even if we drew it Steve would not have to hunt with me as a Hunter Host he could have anyone Hunter Host him. This makes us both draw a tag, forcing us to buy the extra tag which is unfair if i dont want it and takes away from an AB res that may have wanted it.
I think it should be changed that when a BC res applies it stipulates the Hunter host at time of application...

Now if i could switch Steve over to a Bowhunter we could hunt Moose a lot more often here in the western zones.

Wild one
07-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Yes you hit nail one the head Wild one. Steve has lots of priority points due to 999, however i used mine up a couple years back and you go in with the lowest priority points. My only Gripe with Alberta is that Steve could not draw in the prairie zones . And that is where i like to hunt my grain fed Moose. The AB system requires a Non res to apply with and albertan Res so you both have to heave enough points for the WMU. even if we drew it Steve would not have to hunt with me as a Hunter Host he could have anyone Hunter Host him. This makes us both draw a tag, forcing us to buy the extra tag which is unfair if i dont want it and takes away from an AB res that may have wanted it.
I think it should be changed that when a BC res applies it stipulates the Hunter host at time of application...

Now if i could switch Steve over to a Bowhunter we could hunt Moose a lot more often here in the western zones.

At least non residents have the opportunity to apply can't say the same for BC. I like Alberta's host program as it is easy to use and no crazy trophy fee if you make a kill. Nice to be welcomed as a Canadian and not put through the wringer like BC's host system.

In the future I will most likely be an Alberta resident again I may miss a few species BC has to offer but I won't feel like I am miss out on opportunity to hunt at all. If all goes as planned I will be out there within 2 years and most likely not far from Red Deer

Good luck this season

Springer
07-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Well if you do move this way better give me a shout so we can BS about hunting and hopefully point you in the right direction to pursue some game there Wild One.

Wild one
07-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Well if you do move this way better give me a shout so we can BS about hunting and hopefully point you in the right direction to pursue some game there Wild One.

Will do

I do have some spots hidden away in Alberta from living there in the past and hunt with friends out there at times