PDA

View Full Version : finally got pal, no clue on range behavior.

ducktoller
06-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Finally have my p.a.l. And picking up first gun sometime in the next month.
Problem is no one in my life hunts/shoots. One of my buddies is starting with me but he only
Has limited gun experience.

Was probably going to join mission rod and gUN, but have no real experience with range safety/protocol. Any info would help.

adriaticum
06-24-2013, 10:50 PM
Join the club and tell them exactly that.
They will teach you range safety and help you get started.
That's what clubs are for.

limit time
06-24-2013, 11:00 PM
Abby and langley are also good. I like mission for rifle, they have a good 300 meter range. I like Abby for pistol (restricted) guns, they seem more friendly to them. Langley is great for skeet and trap!

Whonnock Boy
06-24-2013, 11:55 PM
Have a look through the site to get yourself started, with club policies at the forefront. http://www.missionrodandgun.com/ When you get onto the range, read every sign posted. There are lots. Pick up your brass, pay your buck, sign in, sign out, red is dead, firearms may only be handled on green, and don't point the bang stick at anyone, are just a few things. Maybe go up on a Saturday to just have a look, and watch the way things work. There is usually a RSO on site Saturdays as well.

Off the top of my head your range bag should have:

ammo
cleaning accessories
targets
stapler
ear protection
spotting scope

I'll be going up soon once again, probably after school/work for my son and I. You are more then welcome to meet us there. Just let me know if you would like to be kept in the loop.

Sofa King
06-25-2013, 12:01 AM
don't forget your first desk pop.

brian
06-25-2013, 12:48 AM
Make sure your boom sticks are pointed down range for packing and unpacking and always carry muzzle up or down (which ever the range prefers). Practice safe gun handling at all times. Actions open on cease fire. Try not to set up so that you'll inadvertently hit other peoples targets (I've done this setting up for shooting prone and not seeing that I was hitting the guy next to me's 200 yard target which was perfectly in line with my 100 yard target. Its embarrassing). Know the club rules. Have fun.

As a courtesy look around you when you are shooting. For example don't unload a string of fire just as the guy next to you is just about to take a shot and is concentrating hard. Especially if he is shooting verrry slowly. Or be aware if you are spitting brass on the guy next to you. Or if you have a muzzle brake warn the people beside you. Just common courtesy sort of things. But overall you will find most shooters to be great guys who are more than willing to shoot the shit.

GotaGun
07-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Mission gun club is very friendly, and very hunter regular guy friendly, go the first time and leave gun in truck and look around ,you'll learn fast (good thing) how they do things.
I was a member for a year, most everyone is/was willing to help the new guys..:)

dak0ta
07-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Range safety was covered in the CFSC course...

Anyways, watch these videos, 'most' ranges follow these general guidelines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L0n1fXPbXc