PDA

View Full Version : Spring Grizz advice please.

7mmWSM
01-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Wondering if anyone has ever hunted spring grizz in 5-15. I was thinking about going up the Mitchell River off of the north arm of quesnel lake. This seems to be the dividing point between 5-15c and 5-15b. So does that mean if I get a draw for c, and the bear walks out on the wrong side of the river I can't shoot it? Anybody been up in this part of town in late April/Early may? Is this a realistic time to go up there after bear given snow conditions etc.? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. Also if anyone has any other suggestions for better odds on a grizz hunt within 7 hours of Vancouver that would be great too.

WoodOx
01-09-2007, 02:03 PM
I can only offer what I know, and I dont know much about that area. If the bear comes out on the wrong side of the river, correct, you cannot shoot it.

Grizz is different than blacks, generally the earlier the better - get out there as soon as the grass starts to sprout on the most sun exposed slopes.

Good luck on a draw.

tufferthandug
01-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Good luck on getting the draw. I've been trying for a few years now. When the snow melts is really dependant on weather, and that country gets a lot of snow.

The best bet is usually mid to late May.

srupp
01-09-2007, 03:26 PM
hmmm hey thats me....I guided for Ghost Lake Outfitters for Grizzly and moose there..and have hunted there for 30 years....collected fine G bears and TREMENDOUS bLack bears..moose are meat moose...odd BIG rack is 45 "

I do NOT mind helping guys but on a one to one basis...sure dont want to print out the best spot to get a G bear..

However as I type this the SECOND oldest grizzly bear in CANADA is hanging on my wall a 8' squared silvertip with over 6 " white claws an amazing animal...

Send me a e-mail PM and a phone # and i9 will phone you..fair enuff???

I have already put my LEH for spring in ..and yes one of my choices is in there....

Cheers
Steven

ps . with all due respect dont wait for the sun to rid the hills of snow..thats too late..G bear hunters will know what Im trying to say...

yes you cant hunt on the wrong side of the river but fortunatley6 inthe are a you selected thatw ill never be a problem..I promise...

Timbow
01-09-2007, 04:17 PM
I've hunted the area for black and grizzly bear. Early is good but you will need to use a snowmobile, especially with the amount of snow we are getting this year. Even with snowmobile it's hit or miss. Everybody has their own ideas on their best time. For me it's June. The rut is on and the boars are searching. Plus access is better. Whatever sub-zone you choose, good luck it's hard one to get and don't be surprised if you get a draw and not get a bear, especially a large one. It's tough hunting and you will see grizzly, it just depends on what you're looking for in a bear.

Tim

srupp
01-09-2007, 05:40 PM
chuckle..I guess thats part of life ....different opinions by different folks..

I have a different read on it than Timbow...but again I had keys for 3 guide cabins in the area also...
Timbow is right in that we are getting more snow than in many years..and thats WHY next spring EARLY is best...not June...in my view..and its snowed 5" here in Williams Lake today

june most of the shrubs and small willow and alder .... have already sprouted shoots and glassing is much much much difficult....and tracks are of no assistance and the bears are EVERYWHERE and actually have already moved out of the bottoms and are following the fresh growth back up the mountain.
I have never searched for grizzly while they are mating..they move off and actually are that much harder to locate...completely opposite of moose..ya cant call a grizzly...
Early on you search for a very very specifiic location to find G bears..and because of size and experince the big ol boars are found there more often than females or sows with cubs...
I think its exactly oposite..the HARDEST part is in getting the draw...getting the bear is by far the easiest part...if ya know what your doing and have a knowlege of the animal and the area...

I think snowmobiles are an exellent piece of advice..however you can (and I have) just use a quad and travel from 2am -5 am when the snow is hard from overnite freezing..of course I have also used Betties dogs sled and thats a HOOT..and you can walk also but that my friend is a long walk...

We look for very specific locations with the absolute knowlege that the more it snowed and the deeper the snow and the harder the winter the more assured we are we will find the bears...

Rob and Gatehouse here have had the experience of me er " helping" them find a bear...and they did....

I was never ever skunked guiding for G bear..not once...

most bears I seen in one day was 6 ( grizzly) most coastal G bears ("browns') was 7 and most black bear in one day was in the exact area Cunninham Pass...and that was well over 30( so0me could have been the sam bear counted in the morning on our way out that evening..however we already had harvested a 7 foot BLOND black bear...

Oh well I assure you there are a LOT of big bears in those mountains more today than 15 years ago..and If you get the draw you will have the privilege of havinga exellent chance at a 7 1/2 -8 foot G bear...and there are a lot of silvertips there....amazing color.

Timbow did you come in from Barkerville end???
Steven

Timbow
01-09-2007, 09:50 PM
LOL...see what I told you, everyone has a different strategy....you say tomato, I say tomoto...I must agree it's a very hard draw to get...best of luck.

Tim