PDA

View Full Version : Your Fav Archery Sight

The Hermit
06-24-2013, 02:56 PM
I received my demo 2013 Limbsaver Proton (http://www.vantagepoint-outfitters.com/limbsaver-proton/) bow today :-D.

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server5400/46f25/products/118/images/289/ProtonCarbon__02128.1358812638.1280.1280.jpg

Although I like the Limbsaver sight and think it is a very good basic sight, I'm hankering to try something new for a hunting set up. I like the looks and idea of the G5 XR series that has three fixed pins and one micro adjustable floating pin...

What is your favorite sight? Why?

Ambush
06-24-2013, 03:11 PM
I had a G5 XR because I thought it would be great to. It didn't live up to expectations.

So far I can't find a bad thing to say about the wrapped Spot Hogg. I have both the five and seven pin models my current bows.

Tenacious Billy
06-24-2013, 03:18 PM
I've got a Spott Hogg wrapped in the five pin as well.....love it.

Onesock
06-24-2013, 03:50 PM
huh..............................

igojuone
06-24-2013, 03:56 PM
I had a G5 XR because I thought it would be great to. It didn't live up to expectations.

So far I can't find a bad thing to say about the wrapped Spot Hogg. I have both the five and seven pin models my current bows.

I've got the G5 XR and it does what it needs to do. What didn't it do to live up to "expectations" Ambush? You set the pin three pins, I've got mine at 20. 30, 40 yards and the floater at 50, 60 and 70. Then you put the pin on your target and release, not that complicated.

allan
06-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Spot hog 7DP, wrapped fiber optics. easy to adjust, bright. Tough as nails as I've fallen on my sight with my bow while hunting and besides the big gouges in the housing it never came out of adjustment.
get the small pins for it.

The Hermit
06-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Spot Hogg makes a whole bunch of bows... which one are you guys shooting?

Ambush
06-24-2013, 05:16 PM
I've got the G5 XR and it does what it needs to do. What didn't it do to live up to "expectations" Ambush? You set the pin three pins, I've got mine at 20. 30, 40 yards and the floater at 50, 60 and 70. Then you put the pin on your target and release, not that complicated.

Maybe I should have said "MY" expectations. Glad you like it. I didn't.

RoscoeP
06-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Spot Hogg makes a whole bunch of bows... which one are you guys shooting?
Didn't know they make bows? I have a Tommy Hogg sight on one of my Hoyt Spyder 34's, the other one has a Axcel 3000, both single pin adjustable. Cheers Roscoe

The Hermit
06-24-2013, 09:08 PM
doh... meant sight not bows.

.300WSMImpact!
06-24-2013, 09:15 PM
black gold 7 pin for me, great sight

Shooter
06-24-2013, 10:58 PM
I have an Axcel Armortech 5 pin on the way to me right now. I did a bunch of research and the Axcel and Spot Hogg were the 2 main names that were coming up. Right now I have an HHA single pin and I love it but just want to try a multi pin out too.

donny.brooke
06-25-2013, 06:57 AM
Blackgold widdow maker 5 pin. Not the prettiest but the toughest and brightest

calvin L
06-25-2013, 08:35 AM
I have the Spot Hogg rapped 7 pin in .010 pin size . I like the small pins . Once it is set up you will not touch it again .

Wild one
06-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Very happy with the viper brand sights durable and when you lock them in they stay that way. If you have not tried them they are worth checking out in my opinion and they are not priced as high as spotthoggs. I have tried many different brands over the last 19 years and have settled with vipers. Spotthoggs would be my 2# but for the price difference I go viper as they are matched in quality in my opinion.

I use a basic 5 pin viper and I am very rough on my gear and have broken many of the commonly used brands

Vader
06-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Truglo micro brite. It has a .029 pin for 20yards.. .019 for 30 & 40 and .010 for 50 & 60. I find the smaller pin at longer distances doesn't block the kill zone and the bigger pins work well in low light although all are visible with the rheostat uv light that comes with it.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-25-2013, 12:28 PM
HHA DS line ... but I know yer up in the air about the exposed gears etc ... I used to have Cobra sidewinder that worked well a Spothogg that I liked ... I prefer the single pin tho to give me more of a sight picture

I mentioned to you the other day over Beer that I had a Trophy Ridge Rhino that had 3 down pins and one up pin with a movable housing .. they dont seem to make it anymore ... but If I were looking at a multi pin fixed sight I would look hard at the TR verticle pin series
http://www.trophyridge.com/bow-sights the Alpha V series or the Firewire series

The Hermit
06-27-2013, 08:54 AM
How about CBE sights? Anyone use them?

Ambush - Do you mind sharing what it was about the Optix XR that didn't live up to your expectations? I am stupid stuck on the idea of the three and one so if there is something I should know please save me the time, hassle, and money. Trying to make a rational decision not emotional one ... Thanks

Bowzone_Mikey
06-27-2013, 09:26 AM
I have a CBE movable sight on my Olympic recurve ... as far as Fixed go .. not really

Bill I truely think that you are over thinking this purchase ... Its hard to find a sight that will be perfect for every situation ... but by the same token its will be hard to find a poor sight by a reputable company ... find a model thats been around for a while ... if they are crap the wont be much older than 2 years on the market

I reccomend something with Verticle pins because you are used to instinctive and used to a being able to see your whole target ... verticle (inline) pins will allow you the most visable target area
Also take into
account Color of pins ... some peoples eyes see colors differantly and put it off center etc ... example some people see red differantly ... with a red pin I know a guy that shot consistantly 2 feet left with a red pin at 30 yrds ... put a a blue pin in (didnt move it just replaced the fiber) and hammered the x_rings consistantly

The Hermit
06-29-2013, 03:22 PM
I have settled on either the Spot Hogg Hunter or Hogg-It; or the Acel Armortec Vision HD HS Pro. I can bring in the Armotech line through my distributor so looking at getting a Spot Hogg dealership too... maybe get both in and try them out. Thanks

aggiehunter
06-29-2013, 07:00 PM
I like my open sights....both at the same time....

Ambush
06-29-2013, 08:11 PM
The Spot Hogg Real Deal is probably one of the most popular sights, on hunting bows, among western bow hunters. Rock solid, light weight, micro adjustable gang and individual pins. Very bright with the wrap. The wrap guard also protects the fibers, but they are already nestled in metal.

The best way to evaluate a sight is with a pin on some fur. Good luck.

The Hermit
07-05-2013, 10:15 PM
I have settled on the ArmorTech Vision HD Pro HS, custom ordered with all the pins in green and the top pin .19 and the rest .10 (4 pins)

What convinced me was the full containment of the fiber optics, micro-adjust ability, three axis adjustment, the exceptionally high ratings it gets around the web, and the HS option that allows you to place the pins very close together for the high speed bows like the new Limbsaver Proton. The sight is pretty pricey but should last a lifetime, and well I get them at dealer cost so it didn't hurt quite so much but still more than I wanted to pay.

I think my new Proton 60lb @ 28" with the Whisker Biscuit, Axcel sight, and the Leupold Vendetta laser rangefinder on-board is going to be a wicked combination! For my annual elk hunt, I'll be flinging 29" GT Hunter Pros 55/75's with 125gr G5 Montecs and a 100gr brass insert this year. Hoping to get around 280fps. Is that a good guess?

If anyone is interested purchasing an Axcel sight let me know and I'll order one for you at huge savings... I will also be able to offer the Spot Hogg line soon too.

http://www.axcelsights.com/visionpro.html

Thanks for the feedback and cheers.

Shooter
07-05-2013, 11:36 PM
I just ran your numbers on my archery program and it seems like you will be quite underspined with those arrows. According to my program it says you will be correctly spined with 75/95's. Also it looks like you will be running about 19.5% FOC with only 219ish FPS. I will play with some #'s and see what I can come up with

Shooter
07-05-2013, 11:46 PM
If you drop down to a 100gr BH and a regular 11gr insert you will be right on spec with your 55/75's and you will come in around 275 FPS and also will get almost 10 more ft/lbs of kinetic energy. Also you will still be at 12.5% FOC with the arrows.

The Hermit
07-06-2013, 12:35 AM
Hey thanks Shooter... I hadn't run the numbers yet but that makes sense!