PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit trapping

Browningmirage
01-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Went out for coyotes, and saw a tonne of rabbit tracks, and was just wondering if you are allowed to snare them. Region 7A, i looked in the regs, and i just dont know what i can do to get them
BM

KevinB
01-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Have a look at this thread over at Huntshoot. Might tell you what you need to know.

http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/showthread.php?t=10020

RiverOtter
01-09-2007, 02:33 PM
You can snare them with 20 or 22 gauge wire. Read the trapping section of the regs though, as there are restrictions concerning braided wire and gauge of wire your allowed to use. I don't beleive a lock of any sort is allowed, so you may want to tie to a springy limb or sapling to help tension the wire when the hare quits pulling. I have played around with snaring hares for lynx bait and it can be quite fun.

A fresh felled tree is a good place to snare rabbits.

RO

Kevin21
01-09-2007, 03:48 PM
would you possibly like to share where you saw these tracks? :) im new to town and trying to figure out where to go

Browningmirage
01-09-2007, 06:08 PM
It was out on the blackwater road, we turned off about hafway down it onto a logging road. I am kinda new too, so dont know many places either. We saw a few tracks, but am trying to think of a better place, because i didnt see any definite runs.

LeverActionJunkie
01-09-2007, 07:40 PM
follow the tracks, look for the little buggers to be hiddin under tree's or fallen logs and then pop em in the eye with a .22

steel_ram
01-09-2007, 08:23 PM
As a boy I ran a trap line (snares) around the local University. I rarely harvested more than a few neck vertibrae and a bunch of fur. Them racoons were quicker than I. Once I got a flee and tick collar and a bunch of angora fuzz.

hunter1947
01-10-2007, 05:28 AM
follow the tracks, look for the little buggers to be hiddin under tree's or fallen logs and then pop em in the eye with a .22 I'm with you on this issue Lever Action Junkie ,i have tried wire snaring them and using spring conibear traps and had very little success. hunter 1947