PDA

View Full Version : What GPS do you use?

Westcoastgunner
06-23-2013, 07:14 PM
hey everyone

Im young and new to hunting, dont have many friends who hunt, and i know how protective you guys are about your hunting spots.
So im just curious about what GPS you use and if any of you have any experience using the BC Backroad Maps SD Card. Thoughts? Suggestions?
I figure itd aid me in finding new spots while exploring/scouting this summer.
any input would be appreciated.

cheers,
WCG

mikeboehm
06-23-2013, 07:19 PM
I use the garmin 62s loaded with the backroap maps sd card. Works great the best combo out there

bigslim
06-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Get a good compass learn how to use it the batteries never go dead.
Then get a GPS

Westcoastgunner
06-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Thanks mike.

Slim, i have lots of experience with a compass, thank you.
Just need a help find the backroads.

kennyj
06-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Get a good compass learn how to use it the batteries never go dead.
Then get a GPS
X2.
A map and compass is the way to go.
kenny

Sitkaspruce
06-23-2013, 08:46 PM
Garmin Oregon 450T

Check out GPSCity and GPScentral, both have great prices and compete against each other with a price match.

Cheers

SS

BernDawg
06-23-2013, 09:03 PM
I have a Magellan. DON'T get a Magellan........... I'm waiting for a good deal on a Garmin...

Ry151
06-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Oregon 450t and Montana 650. They work great but. Really want to try the back roads maps on GPS.

Sofa King
06-23-2013, 10:04 PM
X2.
A map and compass is the way to go.
kenny

some of us have graduated out of the dark ages.
yes, it's wise to know how to use a compass.
but c'mon, keep it stored in a pocket out of the way, only to be brought out under drastic emergencies.
are you going to recommend that someone should use a spear to hunt with also?

i've got a magellan triton 400 with a map card.

Sofa King
06-23-2013, 10:06 PM
I have a Magellan. DON'T get a Magellan........... I'm waiting for a good deal on a Garmin...

i kinda agree.
i miss my old garmin.
the magellan has been fine and given me no troubles at all, but i found the garmin much simpler to use.
and my magellan still doesn't show the correct time.

r106
06-23-2013, 10:10 PM
I like my Garmin 60 csx but it's discontinued. Don't buy the one for sale on the buy and sell here. That is a crazy high price

mountainman_270
06-23-2013, 10:48 PM
I use a Magellan Triton 500 and they are OK.I would not recommend this model. I only use it for triangulating my position. I don't think the Explorist 500 is that different. I really like the Delorme products. I don't care what anyone says but a map and compass is not obsolete. Combined compass and GPS navigating is an excellent accurate way to navigate. Also, compass navigation is a perishable skill, you must practice it.

Gun Dog
06-23-2013, 11:17 PM
I have a Garmin 60 series which I like but isn't compatible with the Backroads maps. If I had to replace it I'd go with the newer 62 series. I find the buttons are easier to use than a touchscreen. I like the larger screens on the Nuvis but some lack backcountry features like a battery, downloadable topo maps and track logs. I use Garmin's TopoCanada which is federal mapping based so it lacks a lot of forest service roads (which are tracked by the province).

Sofa King
06-24-2013, 12:19 AM
I use a Magellan Triton 500 and they are OK.I would not recommend this model. I only use it for triangulating my position. I don't think the Explorist 500 is that different. I really like the Delorme products. I don't care what anyone says but a map and compass is not obsolete. Combined compass and GPS navigating is an excellent accurate way to navigate. Also, compass navigation is a perishable skill, you must practice it.

i'd say it is.
most people carry a gps these days.
and even a SPOT.
sure beats sending smoke signals.
and even many who don't carry a gps, they aren't carrying a map and compass either.
i'm shocked at all the stories every year of people getting lost.
there's almost no reason for it these days.

it's mostly old-school guys who still carry a compass.
i do, i always have one tucked into a compartment on my pack.
it's just a thing i learned from pa.

Singleshotneeded
06-24-2013, 01:08 AM
Garmin...the best out there...

allan
06-24-2013, 05:21 AM
Since you know how to use a compass, get a garmin. I like my Rhino 530hcx with micro sd card for maps, peer to peer positioning is nice because you can text, call, and simply poll other users out there that have a Rhino as well so you always know where your buddies are and can get ahead of them or beside them or AWAY from them if your hunting the same general area. Having a radio built in is also very nice. One thing to know is the American version of radios use 5w transmitting power, while in Canada your only allowed to sell the 2w radio. Don't buy the 2w radio! I love my Garmin as its easy to down load way points I've made on google earth to my gps, and from gps to google earth. very handy when scouting hunting new areas.

Ronforca
06-24-2013, 05:23 AM
My wife and I carry the Garmin Rino 530.It has a 5 watt walkie talkie built in.It also has a locator that locates the other gps.When I turn mine on it gives my wife's co ordinates and when she turns hers on it gives mine Handy if you are injured.Oh yes,we do carry a compass and extra batteries

Walksalot
06-24-2013, 06:06 AM
I use the Garmin 60CX and really like it. Combine it with the Map Source mapping program and it fits the bill for me. I still use my compass for navigating through the woods and only use my GPS to get a bearing to a destination. If I have no destination in mind and just want to go for a walk in the woods I use my compass.
Back in the day I used topo maps and compass exclusively as a GPS was out of my budget. One gets pretty darn good at Dead Reckoning. Since getting the GPS I do less Dead Reckoning and rely on the GPS for a bearing back to the truck or where ever. Having said that I have had my Garmin 12 go south on me so I would never rely solely on a GPS but just a short while ago I switched my compass and GPS from Grid North to True North.

tuchodi
06-24-2013, 06:32 AM
I have always used Garmin as they are the best. I now have 2 units one is the Rino radio GPS unit which I use when friends are with me and they have radios, my second unit is the Garmin 62s which I use most of the time. Get one with a color screen (not touch) uses micro-sd cards and has the electronic compass.

kennyj
06-24-2013, 07:01 AM
some of us have graduated out of the dark ages.
yes, it's wise to know how to use a compass.
but c'mon, keep it stored in a pocket out of the way, only to be brought out under drastic emergencies.
are you going to recommend that someone should use a spear to hunt with also?

i've got a magellan triton 400 with a map card.

You're comparing using a compass to using a spear? How did everyone get around in the woods before these magical GPS's showed up?

I guess I am in the dark ages. I know where I am an my map at all times. I've never felt the need for a GPS. I've heard horror stories of people heading off into the woods with a GPS and one way or another getting lost. Batteries die, you can drop a GPS into a crevasse or a river etc... All I'm saying is that no one should rely completely on a GPS. IMO
I do carry a SPOT as I hunt solo a lot, and I would recommend anyone hunting alone to carry one.

kenny

tuchodi
06-24-2013, 07:51 AM
You're comparing using a compass to using a spear? How did everyone get around in the woods before these magical GPS's showed up?

I guess I am in the dark ages. I know where I am an my map at all times. I've never felt the need for a GPS. I've heard horror stories of people heading off into the woods with a GPS and one way or another getting lost. Batteries die, you can drop a GPS into a crevasse or a river etc... All I'm saying is that no one should rely completely on a GPS. IMO
I do carry a SPOT as I hunt solo a lot, and I would recommend anyone hunting alone to carry one.

kenny
You live on an Island so how can you get lost,haha

J_T
06-24-2013, 08:18 AM
I have three Garmin Rhino's, a Garmin eTrex and a Magellan. The Magellan is crap. Garmin have the geometry figured out and by far produce a superior recreational use product.

I also still carry a Silva compass with me, but I stopped carrying maps about 5 years ago and my compass hasn't come out in over 5 years. Actually I can't remember when I last used my compass. A compass is simple so if that works for you great. A compass is useful if you want to actually follow a specific bearing when in the field. For overall navigation and integrated mapping, learn to use the GPS. You'll never go back. The GPS has more tools, measuring distance, finding way points etc. As for batteries, and losing the GPS. Those are just fear stories. It doesn't happen if you are smart. Buy the large rechargable battery. FYI if I only turn the GPS on when I need to confirm location, I can get weeks out of my GPS. If I leave it on continuous it's good for 4 days. As for losing it always keep your GPS leashed, just like you do your compass.

goatdancer
06-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Garmin 62sc is $370 from GPS City in Calgary. Only GST charged and free shipping.

goatdancer
06-24-2013, 09:32 AM

kenny

You could drop a compass into a crevasse or river as well. Batteries are light so carry spares. No one should rely completely on any piece of gear. Bad things could happen to all your gear so it is best to be prepared.

kennyj
06-24-2013, 09:53 AM
You live on an Island so how can you get lost,haha

Good point. I'll hit the ocean eventually.

kenny

hare_assassin
06-24-2013, 10:57 AM
I looked into this stuff quite a bit before purchasing because I had 3 specific requirements;

1) Inexpensive
2) Reliable
3) Mapping function with loadable maps

After lots of research, I concluded that the Garmin eTrex 20 was the best value, based on my criteria.

I then loaded my own free custom maps from OpenStreetMap and OpenCycleMap, which have all the BC FSRs and lots of trails. Doesn't have all the FS recreation sites and stuff (like the Backroads maps do) but I can create custom points for stuff like that.

The result is a super-reliable, full-function, map-based GPS for a bit over $200. Couldn't be happier.

The Rhino's built-in radio and position exchange system would be awesome, but over $600 is just too much for this guy. Not to mention it is useless unless my buddies have one, and they don't, sooo...

srupp
06-24-2013, 01:21 PM
hmmm lots of experience with GPS..believe I had one of the first 5 civilian Gps units in BC...lol I told you I was old..

anyhow the one I now use is the LOWRANCE I FIND...,it does everything I need and more..have updated mapping system and several chips that can be custom loaded... it is 6 years old?? and when I looked I still couldn't find units that IMO did as much..fancier yes music and other battery wasting additions..KISS..anyhow not even sure Lowrance makes this unit..Garmin has stepped up but still love my I finder...and yes I have a map and a compass and can use both..lol

steven

Singleshotneeded
06-24-2013, 01:48 PM
If you plug in your Garmin gps when you're using it on your quad or truck, and you don't go on major hikes...
one set of Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries will have you covered for the camping season and a fresh set
for hunting season. They also have the advantage of not being affected by cold like alkalines. Even if you use
alkalines and keep spares in your pocket during camping season, you should consider the lithiums come September.

Darksith
07-12-2013, 03:22 PM
I use a garmin Rhino. It allows you to send your location to anyone else on your friends list with the same gps, and it has built in radio. I don't use it for radio though since it kills the batteries pretty fast. But I'll tell you what, first time you shoot an animal at dusk and need your buddies to get to your location to help, you will be so impressed with how the rhino works its way worth it. Keep an eye out on ebay, you will find an auction that you can get 1 pretty cheap. Same goes with all GPS units, ebay is great, just be patient and you will find a great deal. They are so common now a days...

I wouldn't pay 600 for a rhino as someone mentioned above, I would however and have paid 200...ebay

HarryToolips
07-12-2013, 05:12 PM

kenny
Totally agree brother..besides, using a GPS takes the fun out of navigation..I also carry an extra compass, and also use the sun to navigate..and they never break down..although to each their own!!

Fred1
07-12-2013, 05:25 PM
I use a garmin everyday... dont use anything when hunting. One more gizmo to carry and worry over. Not that im bragging just saying, I have been blessed with a great sense of direction - I test it all the time at work in the bush - it really makes good sense to look where you are when you leave the truck or road. Pay attention the which way the ridges, streams and mountain are running in relation to your road home. Agreed it is much harder to find your quad in the forest that a road, but again I dont use a quad :) I guess my point is, awareness will get you home, dead batteries or a lost machine will get you a bad sleep in the forest and an upset wife...

Darksith
07-12-2013, 05:32 PM
There are more uses to a GPS than simply getting you back to the truck. Marking out tree stands, good swamps, places you don't go often, but when you do return you can quickly find a good place to be. Generally I will if Im in a new area, mark the truck, then shut it off and head out. Its not something that one necessarily should rely on, but when you decide that you have made an error (like coming down the wrong side of a mountain) its nice to know that you can find your way around without having to go back over the top with not enough daylight left to do so...its a good investment for those who go on big adventures thats for sure.

kodimack
07-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Map and compass #1 and Garmin 60csx my #2

.330 Dakota
07-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Map and compass and a GARMIN 650,,in case I lose my map...lol

kennyj
07-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Totally agree brother..besides, using a GPS takes the fun out of navigation..I also carry an extra compass, and also use the sun to navigate..and they never break down..although to each their own!!
Hurray!!! There is someone else who doesn't NEED a GPS.
kenny

Mikey Rafiki
07-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Garmin 60csx.

I respect the people that only use the compass. As a past surveyor I still love it as a backup but show me how to mark a blood trail with your compass without tying a bunch of silly ribbons to the trees. Plus, unfortunately I have lost gear walking through the bush and the tracks on the GPS were invaluable.

Singleshotneeded
07-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Garmin 60csx...still works so I'll wait until it dies to change it...

Weatherby Fan
07-12-2013, 06:51 PM
I have a built in compass and gps, it's 47 years old and I've never had to have my batteries changed or my compass swung either,it's a half Canadian half Norwegian model and very dependable.
WF