PDA

View Full Version : 2012-3 Environment Canada hunter survey

bandit
06-23-2013, 06:13 PM
The results are out from the federal migratory bird survey. The estimated harvest in BC last season was:

36,160 mallard
16,356 Canada geese
9,845 wigeon

It was really awesome to be able to take part in the survey. Basically you have to send the wing of every bird you harvest over to Ottawa. They send you back the data on every wing you send them - species, sex and age. Especially useful for a relative newbie like me!

heyblast
06-23-2013, 08:20 PM
I was just about to post the same thing. Got my results Friday, 7 adult drakes, 8 unknown geese and 3 immature drakes. The curious thing is 2 of the immatures were Ring Necks and thier colour would of indicated mature birds. A couple of other members here saw these birds and commented on never seeing such colour in a Ring Neck the same as I was thinking when I shot them. Who knows, hope to participate again this season and many more to come.

Dutch
07-01-2013, 06:23 PM
I do it every 4-5 years as it does get old after 30+.My favourite was when it was sent back to me by the post office twice,once for "i have know idea" and the second time it was marked "animal parts". Both times I marked return to sender and that was that.Must have got there eventually as I did get a results notice.