PDA

View Full Version : Antler growth question and photo

06-22-2013, 11:01 PM
So, I know I haven't posted too much here lately, but honestly I haven't hunted for almost 2 years...for various reasons. Anywho, now that I, well we have a truck, I am getting out more and more and finding animals all around here. It was kinda hard to get to certain places with a mini van:rolleyes:.

So tonight, I see this guy...my question is this- Will his small 6th get bigger, or is that it for him for this year. I am not that well versed in antler growth so no laughing. If the answer is yes, how much bigger do you think...based on the time of year?

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/HideOutside/DSCN1519_zpsa9d2ea37.jpg (http://s255.photobucket.com/user/HideOutside/media/DSCN1519_zpsa9d2ea37.jpg.html)

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/HideOutside/DSCN1518_zpsb0d69946.jpg (http://s255.photobucket.com/user/HideOutside/media/DSCN1518_zpsb0d69946.jpg.html)

Whonnock Boy
06-22-2013, 11:04 PM
There will be plenty there for a sixth point come opening season. Hope you can find him.

.300WSMImpact!
06-22-2013, 11:10 PM
that thing has at least 6 weeks to grow I wouldn't be surprised if he was more than a 6 come hunting season, mark that on the gps!! quality elk for sure

06-22-2013, 11:10 PM
There will be plenty there for a sixth point come opening season. Hope you can find him.

Yeah. Me too. Thanks.

Bc Deer Hunter
06-22-2013, 11:34 PM
That is a whooper!! Looks like he will be a big clean 6x6, nice bull :)

hunter1947
06-23-2013, 03:58 AM
This bull has still 5 weeks of growth left the dagger meaning the G4 will grow about 8 inches more and the split on the top will be about 6 inches long when he is finished growing his antlers in the third week of July or the middle.

This bull will not grow a G7 from the top split if the antlers had a big lump on the G6 then it would be a 7 point latter on with a G7..

Very nice bull to shot when it comes to GOS if there is a season for him where you took this picture ,,my guess on what this bull will score when his antlers are finished growing is 280 or 290 score respectively.
Keep in mind that this bull might not be in the same location latter in the year when the rut starts bulls move to look for cows or might move to find better habitat ,if there is a GOS for this bull try to keep an eye on him to see if he stays in the same area ,,don't spook him stay a long ways back if you can and if you can't then don't go there at all till a week before the season opens to see if he is still there..

dana
06-23-2013, 07:04 AM
Elk grow fast and finish up early. They are not like deer. A lot are pretty much finished by the 2nd week of July and some will actually rub as early as the first week of Aug. That being said, they can do a tremendous amount of growing between now and then.

j270wsm
06-23-2013, 10:44 AM
13yrs ago( almost to the day ) I was out bear hunting and came across a group of bulls, that experience changed the way I looked at bulls in velvet. Out of 7 bulls, 2 were massive, one was 6x6 and the other 7x6. If both bulls had rubbed their velvet off they would easily have been 310-320 bulls. Up until that day, I figure that 4pt bulls would make it to 6pt given they had another 4-6weeks to grow, but I came to realize that big bulls get big and fast. My opinion - if there not big by the middle of june then they will probably only put on a few more inches. Keep in mind this is what I have noticed where I live.

OutWest
06-23-2013, 12:52 PM
That will be a solid 6x6. He's not "huge" but is a bull the majority of hunters, including myself wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on. There's good width to his rack as well, you get a much more accurate judgement of that from straight on than from behind. I'd be surprised if he put 8 more inches on his 4th's like Wayne said though. The majority of nutrition is going elsewhere at this point.

Was he solo?

06-23-2013, 04:56 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to try and get out about once a week and see what he is up to...from far away like you said Wayne.

nickroth, When we saw him, he was solo but there was a road down from him that we went on. It appeared as though there were 2 sets of tracks. Never did see the second.

hunter1947
06-24-2013, 03:35 AM
Elk grow fast and finish up early. They are not like deer. A lot are pretty much finished by the 2nd week of July and some will actually rub as early as the first week of Aug. That being said, they can do a tremendous amount of growing between now and then.

X2 yes Dana elk have the fasts growing antlers in the deer family for the amount of bone they have to grow over a 3 month period I have been told by an elk biologist that there antlers meaning both sides can grow to 4 inches in one day..