PDA

View Full Version : Prescribed Burns

bridger
06-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Nice to see the prescribed burn for bison getting off the ground up north. Projects like this are important. As a matter of general interest the north peace rod& gun club in fort st john and the northeast wildlife fund in fort nelson have been funding prescribed burns and other projects with ministry staff for years. In fact the first prescribed burn in the province was funded and conducted by the north peace rod & gun club on the Moberly river to enhance elk habitat in the late 70's.

yama49
06-22-2013, 10:41 PM
I agree for prescribed burns, but not for bison..

Surrey Boy
06-22-2013, 11:05 PM
I'm happy to see it, as long as it's done for the purpose stated without background politics and underhanded motives influencing decisions.

riflebuilder
06-23-2013, 02:09 PM
We need more burns in sheep wintering areas

boxhitch
06-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Nice to see the prescribed burn for bison getting off the ground up north.Not sure that 'prescribed' describes this one, but good to see. And I sure don't agree with the politics behind this one. But it is what it is.

Bear Chaser
06-24-2013, 12:07 AM
The area in question could be burned all the way to the Yukon & NWT borders and it wouldn't be anything but beneficial to everybody.
There are no pipelines, no large open meadows, etc to grow grass in that part of the province except along the road. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that along the highway is where the bison will congregate given no other superior feed in the area. Once they hit the highway and start heading south they will find better feed heading south past Muncho.
If they get there it won't take long before the varmints are into sheep wintering areas and up to the same level of destruction as they are in the Pink Mountain and Sikanni areas.
Who gives a shite if the Indians want to pat themselves on the back on this one. Anything that keeps the bison North of the Liard is a win IMO.
Every bison found south of the Liard should be shot ASAP.

Sofa King
06-24-2013, 12:25 AM
they aren't moving south.
they move back and forth along the alaska highway.
they do about a two week wander one direction, then turn around and mosey back the other way.
i've been driving the alaska highway for years, and they're still in the exact same areas that i've always seen them.