PDA

View Full Version : Wool pants vs. Carhartts vs. Insulated bibs

Speratus
06-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Hey All!

Another question to the more experienced hunters. I purchased a set of FroggToggs to go over sweats and long johns... but realized that I can't wear them bushwhacking as they'll get torn up... defeating the purpose of keeping me dry. Will have to use them when sitting still in a torrential downpour.

...So I need pants :mrgreen: Recommendations?? Wool Pants with wick base layer? or Carhartts with a base layer? Or a Camo Insulated Bib? Will Camo make a difference anyway for bottoms? or is it the top that matter's most. I already own a Mossy Oak Jacket.

For pants... I was thinking of the Russell Outdoors Men's DryStalker Bib
http://www.amazon.com/Russell-Outdoors-Mens-Drystalker-Overalls/dp/B00336G4KI

Thought, Advice & Comments are welcome!
Cheers!

kennyj
06-21-2013, 08:05 PM
I just wear fleece 98% of the time. Water wicks down off the bottom and they stay comfortable when wet. The only time I wear rain gear in the reg season is if I'm sitting for a long time in the rain and wind.
kenny

FirePower
06-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Army surplus wools in cooler weather is my choice. Warm even when wet. And quiet to boot.

Gun Dog
06-21-2013, 09:18 PM
With modern gear I go with a shell and add layers. A common complaint with insulated pants is they're TOO WARM when you're walking around.

elksmasher
06-21-2013, 09:40 PM
If you can find pioneer or a brand like them they are the absolute best wool pant ever,period.They will last you a lifetime.

Shooter
06-22-2013, 12:10 AM
Ive got an old pair of Pioneer thick wool pants that are my go to pants later in the season

Gateholio
06-22-2013, 12:17 AM
Carhart products are mostly cotton. Avoid anything cotton like the plague, except in warmer conditions.

andrewscag
06-22-2013, 09:23 AM
X 2 on avoiding cotton!

If Filson wool pants fit your body type, they're some of the highest quality you can find. They have an outlet now in the outlet mall near mt Vernon. Absolutely worth a stop. They also carry some very nice duck hunting and fishing clothes. I've gotten some amazing deals on some of my go to gear there. Just wish their pants fit my tall thin frame better. Never found any that I wanted to spring for due to fit

sheephunterab
06-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Carhartts and most insulated bibs are like sponges in wet conditions. Both an okay option if conditions are dry but you'll be wet forever if the weather turns nasty. The problem with waterproof bibs is that they are extremely hot.

LYKTOHUNT
06-22-2013, 03:50 PM
I have a pair of the Carharrt camo pants they are are great for loafing around camp, building a house , working on your truck, going dancing etc. but they really have no use for actual hunting, they soak up water are noisey as hell especially if it is cold and wet. My wife tells me they make my butt look good but even that has got me no where. Get wool or fleece, even when wet they still are warm.

06-24-2013, 05:53 AM
I have these...in the non bib version. It appears as though they don't sell just the regular pants anymore. But the bib type pants are on sale!

Very warm, very quiet. I just wore lighweight long johns underneath.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Columbia174-Gallatin-Range8482-Wool-Bibs/753778.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dcolumbia%2Bwool%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSe arch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=columbia+wool&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products