PDA

View Full Version : Trapping??

Dale
01-08-2007, 05:25 PM
I have a question that I cannot find the answer for. In order to trap in BC do you have to have a registered trap line or are there open areas where you can trap? I ask this because back in Manitoba where I'm from we had open areas where all you had to do is buy a trap license and go at'er. Also is it possible to sign on as a trapper's helper? We did that too back in toba. Any info would be great.
Thanks in advance.

JMac
01-08-2007, 05:34 PM
If you get your BC trapping licence (when you pass the course) you can get a "private land trapping licence", if you recieve written permission from the landowner/logging company. However if it is crown land it will be a registered trap line and a registered trapper will have the rights to it. Hope this helps.

hunter1947
01-08-2007, 05:59 PM
You cannot trap on a registered trap line period ,unless you have the permission from the person to trap on his or hers trap line to trap. You can trap on crown land as long as you have a trapping license and you are not trapping in a registered trapping zone. hunter 1947.

RiverOtter
01-08-2007, 08:45 PM
You cannot trap on a registered trap line period ,unless you have the permission from the person to trap on his or hers trap line to trap. You can trap on crown land as long as you have a trapping license and you are not trapping in a registered trapping zone. hunter 1947.

Firstly, in order to trap on a registered trapline, you need to be signed on as an assistant trapper, by the lines owner. You need to take a beginner trapping course and buy the same $40 licence as the registered owner. Your trapping licence will have the trapline number on it.

Secondly, I am not aware of any places in region 8(I've looked at the C.O. map) where there are gaps of crown land between registered lines. Frankly, I have never heard of any OPEN trapping areas in B.C. period.

Private land is the only loop hole available to non-trapline owners. You would be limited to land trapping only, as water(and the land beneath, except in rare cases) belongs to the crown and trapping rights will belong to a registered line. To trap private land, you need to take a trapping course, buy a trapping licence for private land and then get written permission for each and every piece of private land you wish to trap.

Lastly, be prepared to take on the fur trappers role of "Lowest life form on the planet":twisted: , way below hunters.:lol:

RO

boonerbuck
01-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Frankly, I have never heard of any OPEN trapping areas in B.C. period.

Correct. It's trap line or private property unless the province is paying you for predator control.

If you have your trapping licence there are 4 routes you can take to trap fur bearers in BC.

You can buy a trap line, lease one from the owner or part of, get written permission to trap on a line or part of, or private property. You can trap your own property as well.

If you gain permission to trap on someone's property remember that you may be inside someone's trap line and taking from their livelihood. If it is to reduce predators or beavers it's only ethical to let the registered trap line owner take these problem animals.

Often the trap line is not active or very little activity but it's proper to find out who owns the line and contact them.

hunter1947
01-09-2007, 05:54 AM
If you have your trapping licence ,then you can do nuisance trapping in locale areas as long as you have permission from the land owner. You just have to get a nuisance permit from the wildlife branch ,i think there $15.00 dollars ,i have not got one in 5 years. I have been told that a person without a trapping licence when trapping a raccoon or others has to let the animal go within 400 meters of the capture sight ,i don't no if this is correct ,but the person that taught me my trapping course told me about this ,will have to check into it. hunter 1947.

Walksalot
01-09-2007, 07:52 AM
[Lastly, be prepared to take on the fur trappers role of "Lowest life form on the planet":twisted: , way below hunters.:lol:

I think we all have seen the advetisments funded by the antis depicting the "crewl trap" but it is the loss of habitat which is by far a bigger threat to the fur bearing animals. A responsible trapper manages his/her trapline to avoid over population and quits trapping a species when indications are that population numbers are dropping below accepted levels.
Funny though, I see the seal hunt front and centre in the news but just go east to the Grand Banks and the plight of the dwindling cod stocks. If my information is correct they are at dangerously low numbers and not many people seem to give a rats ass. I guess it boils down to out of sight, out of mind.

CanuckShooter
01-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Lastly, be prepared to take on the fur trappers role of "Lowest life form on the planet":twisted: , way below hunters.:lol:
RO

IMO>>Even lower yet is the 'tax man'.....:mad:

""You just have to get a nuisance permit from the wildlife branch ,i think there $15.00 dollars""

Will this permit allow me to elimate the real nuisance?? :lol: