PDA

View Full Version : Compact digital Camera

Walksalot
06-21-2013, 08:54 AM
I am in the market for a compact digital camera to carry in my pack. Don't want the cheapest and don't want the most expensive. Any suggestions?

marcus44
06-21-2013, 09:40 AM
Fuji makes one that is Shock and water proof etc. Nikon and Canon both make great compact cameras, all a matter of preference.

G.A.
06-21-2013, 10:49 AM
lots of point n shoot cams out there do fine pics. im a nikkon fan myself. had plenty of decent point n shoots for under 200 bucks, had a real nice small pannasonic lumix hd for 300 buck

you lookig at basic point n shoots or bit bigger/better dslr. easiest is start with a budget to work with then narrow down the choices within that range

Sofa King
06-21-2013, 10:52 AM
the olympus stylus is the standard for the tough point and shoots.
but now, every brand has one and they all seem to be just as good as the other.
go handle them at the store and pick the one that feels best for you.
you can watch tests on youtube where they test and compare all the different ones.

Ubertuber
06-21-2013, 10:56 AM
Go with a waterproof.
I have a Pentax Optio camera. It's Waterproof, Crushproof, Dustproof, Shockproof, and Coldproof. Good for 45 feet (so it says). Takes great HD video as well.
My daughter has a Fuji XP60 waterproof. It's nice but not as nice as my Pentax.
Lot's of similar cameras out there. Check out the specs before you buy.

My $0.02

Sofa King
06-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Go with a waterproof.
I have a Pentax Optio camera. It's Waterproof, Crushproof, Dustproof, Shockproof, and Coldproof. Good for 45 feet (so it says). Takes great HD video as well.

My $0.02

shouldn't that be rounded up to $0.05 now?

Singleshotneeded
06-21-2013, 11:07 AM
After checking the reviews on a few photography sites I went with the Panasonic Lumix DMC TS-20. It's waterproof,
shockproof in the case of a drop from your hand, and dustproof. I had a Pentax weatherproof camera before this and
it's pics were nowhere near as good as my standard non outdoors Canon. My Lumix takes pics similar in quality to the
Canon, and is weatherproof...very happy with it. Check out the photography sites and cnet.com, when I did my homework
the Lumix and the Sony took the best pics amongst weatherproof cameras.
I'd been looking for a weatherproof rugged camera that also took great pics since my holiday in Cancun in 2006...the mist
you get on the Mayan Riviera quite often got into my camera while I was checking out Tulum, and the Canon shut itself
down to protect itself from the humidity. I got most of the pics I wanted, but I told myself never again will I go on a holiday
far away without an outdoors camera. I tried the Pentax W-60 I think it was...pics were okay but not great, and now the Lumix
is what I was after.

G.A.
06-21-2013, 11:26 AM
i have 2 lumix..both are good. one w only 150 bucks. only thing i didnt like was i couldnt zoo in while in video mode, have to stop it and zoom then record again. takes great still pics though, and if not to concerned about zooming its fine.
dont buy into the bigger megapixel cams. unless you do alot of editing. that doesnt realy determine the pic quality..it will when we zoom in or zoom editing to crop a pic. having a better zoom is more important to me than high megapixels, then having a super hi zoom will need the hi megapixel. biut mst work together going up as zoom increases
and a good feature or us outdoor guys is th stabilizer to hold still for better crisp pics

Gun Dog
06-21-2013, 11:35 AM
I have a Panasonic DMC-TS4. There's a lot to said for waterproof. I take it swimming. What I like: two burst modes and HD video. With a 32GB SD card I can take 7,000 pictures so I usually put it in burst mode and take lots. Make sure you get a high speed SD card since the cheap ones can't keep up.

What I don't like: it doesn't always focus correctly even though I use SPOT mode so I know what it should be focusing on. The metadata in to picture is a little sparse too. With my Canon every setting in the camera is saved with the picture. When I have interesting light I take a lot of pictures with different setting to get a good one.

A friend has the Sony waterproof compact camera and it takes nice pictures and video too. It's half the size of my small camera.

Moe.JKU
06-21-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm looking for a point and shoot to fish and hunt with as well , for me it has to be waterproof. This one has really intrigued me, seems to be the best in that price range anyways. Its worth a look. ive seen some videos and pictures from them and its amazing how good it is for a thin and compact camera
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666541311 (http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666541311)
Maybe this is the one gun dog is talking about as well.

adriaticum
06-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Fuji makes one that is Shock and water proof etc. Nikon and Canon both make great compact cameras, all a matter of preference.

Yes, Fuji Finepix is the best value.
I had a Canon powershot but they are expensive.

Discoverer
06-21-2013, 12:46 PM
shouldn't that be rounded up to $0.05 now?

Can bring up to a dime l :) Pentax Optio is nice camera with a reasonable picture quality that I took with me on all hunting's adventures. Never failed me even once.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_78GUVB2mboLUBt0Fxg0pcf-zteBu-Oa3hp_OrkblGHB-Ed_B
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZWWG-HxGt6GYVT6DBSe9dqRl9Rneim11UqPgmL8H8LwCG_OyK

warnniklz
06-21-2013, 12:58 PM
I've been looking at the Olympus tough TG-1.

Mikey_Likes_It
06-21-2013, 01:52 PM
I bought my girlfriend the Nikon Coolpix AW110 last year and it is an awesome camera, water, shock, and freeze proof, plus 16mp and full HD vid. She has taken it everywhere and takes awesome pics, seems to be quite robust. I think it can be had in camo too.
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/26412/COOLPIX-AW110.html

IronNoggin
06-21-2013, 02:15 PM
I bought my girlfriend the Nikon Coolpix AW110 last year and it is an awesome camera, water, shock, and freeze proof, plus 16mp and full HD vid.

I have a Pentax Optio W90. It has served it's purpose, but has a few issues especially with low light, long range and underwater.

A Good Buddy of mine bought one of these Nikon AW100's a year ago. He has taken extremely good quality pictures (close up, long range and under water) as well as some extremely good quality video with it. Travelled off continent with him, and has survived falls, getting run over by his bike, extended periods of time under water, freezing and more. Given the Quality - rivaling that of SLR's btw - this thing shoots, I absolutely know what my next camera is going to be. Likely within the month methinks.

http://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/en_INC/o/227HLTwxfTRdaoyeAiro3q5I3kY/Views/26413_AW110_front.png

Cheers,
Nog

Walksalot
06-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Thanks a bunch guys I really appreciate the input.

Sitkaspruce
06-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Go with a waterproof.

My $0.02

X2

When you buy one, hold it in your hands a see how they fit. I found the Nikon/Fuji and Olympus (all square shaped) were too small in my hands and I found my thumb hitting buttons and my other fingers sometimes covering the flash.

The Pentax fits my hands much better and is built like a tank. Use them for work as well.

Cheers

SS