PDA

View Full Version : Watch where you go.

Jagermeister
06-20-2013, 09:26 AM
From 10 am yesterday until 8 am today, the rainfall in my neck of the woods has amounted to 1.5 inches of rain with more still to come.
And it is starting to rain again after a brief interlude.
Those that are going to go out for that elusive bear will want to pay attention to the roads they travel in the backwoods. With this soaking, the ground is going to be saturated and the potential for slides on steep terrain slopes has increased.

r106
06-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Yup had this happen to some friends 2 years ago. Not a fun experience from what I was told.

G.A.
06-20-2013, 10:05 AM
came close to a slide already ,myself this season. was with some buddies up chilliwack valley hunting early season. hit snow line and turned back. just before that there was a few road wash outs..small ones, able to drive over still, then one i looked up towards the embankment and saw a large boulder coming down right at my door of the jeep. was about half the size of the door so would have made quite a mes if it dint come up through my window. told my partner to step on it..we got past it. nobody realy even saw it and was a fluke i looked up. the wash outs were making me nervous with the snow an rain coming down...and the fist thaws of the seasons.
anyways about an hour later or o we ha all parked and was walking up a road toward an open block and we all heard some noses..rumbling and crackling sounds...w ll turned and looked at each other with sorta freeked out looks...didnt quite know at it was yet..got louder now..realized it was the mountain coming down and the cackling was trees snapping an rocks rolling w assume. the ground shook some around us. wasnt right whee we were now but id assumed it was h area we just left. other guys though it was closer above us. was concerned he road was blocked now but we got out and never id see anything the rest of that day.
couple weeks later i went back with my partner and went back up same mucky area trying get higher again and saw ll new signs on the road saying fresh slide road closed. i figured it was there with how unstable it was when i saw it..not much w being held back on them sides as we drove up.

was a trippy experience, glad we got out with no harm. never been in a situation like that ever...wasnt good. still get chills thinking about it with us there just before it let go. the noise lasted a good 30 or 45more seconds, wasnt a small one.

be safe out there

hunter1947
06-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Over two inches up here in Cranbrook the last 3 days and still more to come..

Jagermeister
06-20-2013, 12:06 PM
came close to a slide already ,myself this season. was with some buddies up chilliwack valley hunting early season. hit snow line and turned back. just before that there was a few road wash outs..small ones, able to drive over still, then one i looked up towards the embankment and saw a large boulder coming down right at my door of the jeep. was about half the size of the door so would have made quite a mes if it dint come up through my window. told my partner to step on it..we got past it. nobody realy even saw it and was a fluke i looked up. the wash outs were making me nervous with the snow an rain coming down...and the fist thaws of the seasons.
anyways about an hour later or o we ha all parked and was walking up a road toward an open block and we all heard some noses..rumbling and crackling sounds...w ll turned and looked at each other with sorta freeked out looks...didnt quite know at it was yet..got louder now..realized it was the mountain coming down and the cackling was trees snapping an rocks rolling w assume. the ground shook some around us. wasnt right whee we were now but id assumed it was h area we just left. other guys though it was closer above us. was concerned he road was blocked now but we got out and never id see anything the rest of that day.
couple weeks later i went back with my partner and went back up same mucky area trying get higher again and saw ll new signs on the road saying fresh slide road closed. i figured it was there with how unstable it was when i saw it..not much w being held back on them sides as we drove up.

was a trippy experience, glad we got out with no harm. never been in a situation like that ever...wasnt good. still get chills thinking about it with us there just before it let go. the noise lasted a good 30 or 45more seconds, wasnt a small one.

be safe out thereI would say you were damm lucky that day.
It would not suprise me to see more slides like the one at Johnson's Landing. Speaking of which, I wonder how that area is faring with all this rain? If it received an equal amount of preciptation like H47 speaks of further east, there should be more of that hillside making it's way down to the lake.
Mica Creek area is another that can have earth movement too.

BearSupreme
06-21-2013, 02:15 AM
51mm in Creston yesterday, lots of more rain to come. Glad I got my bear before the rain :)

hunter1947
06-21-2013, 04:08 AM
I would say that there will be lots of back roads washed out from this rain ...

Ozone
06-21-2013, 05:24 AM
Welcome to summer :)

j270wsm
06-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Over two inches up here in Cranbrook the last 3 days and still more to come..

Its the same in elkford. worst part is there is only one road into town. ill try and post some pics

hunter1947
06-21-2013, 01:51 PM
I was talking to a CO about the back road around the EK and he told me there are lots of back road wash outs..