PDA

View Full Version : crossbow bolts

fyffer
06-20-2013, 05:44 AM
So I'm picking up a equinox used. It comes with 4 bolts with 110 gr brass inserts and 100 gr broad heads for a total 450gr. set up. Seems on the heavy side. he said he was getting 330 fps. Prob a lot of force behind it. What are your thoughts.

Philcott
06-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Brad, I'm using 125 gr heads and the total weight is in the 350 gr area. I'm new to this too and I had a friend give me some advice and he liked the weight setup I have once I changed the heads from 100 to 125 gr.

IronNoggin
06-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Excalibur's Equinox is a 225 pound bow. When factory tested with 350 grain arrows, it produced around 350 feet per second. Even with the 225 lb draw weight, I would be surprised is it could launch a 450 grain arrow at 330 fps. More likely in the neighborhood of 310 or so.

Chrono it yourself, and you will know.

That heavy an arrow should fly well from the Equinox, and blow through any animal is hits within reasonable bow range. With the heavy brass inserts up front, your FOC will be high, which will help stabilize arrow flight (especially so with broadheads) and give you great accuracy methinks.

Personally I will be running Custom 270 grain Black Eagle Executioners with a 125 grain Spitfire up front for a total arrow weight of 395 grains. That's from a Matrix 380 which produces ~ 380 fps with a 350 grain arrow. The little loss of speed is much less important to me than maintaining the FOC (front end weight) and subsequent Accuracy associated with that.

If you want to look into Custom arrows designed specifically for your set-up, shoot me a PM when you get around to it. The fellow I employ for that is amongst the Very Best in Canada, and downright inexpensive considering his Quality.

Cheers & Good Luck with the new Toy!! :wink:
Nog

fyffer
06-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Thanks. went with a different package from another guy.

Equinox
2 boo strings
Boo custom trigger
12 custom bolts.
4 slick rick BH
Tephlon coated main frame.
DLx twilight scope
Ngss adjustable string suppressors.

This thing is nuts. Was a great deal.

IronNoggin
06-23-2013, 09:00 AM
This thing is nuts. Was a great deal.

WOW! :shock:

Now THAT is One Sweet Set-Up! The All Dressed Version that is!

Congratulations! :-D

Have Fun & Let us know how she performs for you :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

fyffer
06-24-2013, 05:35 AM
Will for sure should have it next week. Will post photos too.

fyffer
06-24-2013, 05:39 AM
New set up is 398gr now Phill. I sent you a pm not sure if your box is full. We should ho shoot some bolts soon.