PDA

View Full Version : B.C. First Nation sets fires to save Bison

kebes
06-19-2013, 09:14 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/06/19/f-first-nation-controlled-burning.html

rocksteady
06-19-2013, 09:18 PM
A big thumbs up from me.... Prescribed fire is a very valuable, cost effective management tool...

boxhitch
06-20-2013, 06:09 AM
Controlled burns have happened in the region for years , efforts by the BC Govt , and this one makes the news ? Save the Bison my az
CBC BS
BC should open a Yukon Highway bow zone for us to help control the numbers of the furry speed bumps.

J_T
06-20-2013, 06:14 AM
Haha, we have to cite controlled burns from Australia though as evidence they work. I love burns. If someone or some group needs their ego stroked whatever. If society can in some way come to terms with the benefits of burns and acknowledge they're a good thing, that's a win. FYI, you wouldn't get a match to burn in the EK this last couple of days.

Rocky7
06-20-2013, 06:56 AM
I hope they are burning their own land?

Whatever the merits of burning crown land, that is not their decision to make any more than the B.C. Fish and Wildlife Assoc.

huntinnewbie
06-20-2013, 07:59 AM
As a kid growing up in Nova Scotia spring burning was a common occurance. Farmers burned their fields every . As kids we were given a bucket of water and a wet potato sack to wack out the fire if it went in the wrong direction.
It was amazing on this improved the grass and neat to see the black scorched areas turn emerald green in a matter of days.

rocksteady
06-21-2013, 07:24 PM
I hope they are burning their own land?

Whatever the merits of burning crown land, that is not their decision to make any more than the B.C. Fish and Wildlife Assoc.

It is crown land (belongs to all of us), was paid for and completed by the band, under an approved, sanctioned burn plan.

What have YOU done to improve wildlife habitat? This year? Or lifetime?

It is a wilderness area, meaning it can never be logged, so burning trees is irrelevant.

rocksteady
06-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Haha, we have to cite controlled burns from Australia though as evidence they work. I love burns. If someone or some group needs their ego stroked whatever. If society can in some way come to terms with the benefits of burns and acknowledge they're a good thing, that's a win. FYI, you wouldn't get a match to burn in the EK this last couple of days.

Wish we could get a 15 minute blurb on the ER program in the East kootenays, on CBC.

Too bad some of the comments I have read on the net (not on HBC)and had in coversations, are too focussed on the delivery (First Nations twist) that it has blurred out the message that prescribed fire is GOOD, for many, many reasons.

new hunter
06-21-2013, 09:07 PM
I read a nat geo on n America before uero contact , apparently earth worms were introduced here accidentally in early ships ballasts and before that the leaf litter would just build up until it was burned off . Pretty cool to see an old stewardship practice brought back , even cooler to see a FN group doing it .

06-21-2013, 09:52 PM
I like it. Maybe it will keep the bison off of winter sheep range

North49
06-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Hmmm makes sense, its nice to seem a first nations band actually doing something to help instead of just complaining and looking for a hand out.

olympia
06-22-2013, 12:02 AM
Hmmm makes sense, its nice to seem a first nations band actually doing something to help instead of just complaining and looking for a hand out.that train is never late, i knew sooner or later one of you bashers would come out. I hope it made you feel better. Good night

Darksith
06-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Hmmm makes sense, its nice to seem a first nations band actually doing something to help instead of just complaining and looking for a hand out.

that train is never late, i knew sooner or later one of you bashers would come out. I hope it made you feel better. Good night
Agree totally with olympia, I was impressed at all of the responses till I got to North49...seriously, lets focus on hunting and conservation/opportutnity, not the sewer politics...

Ryan Olson
06-22-2013, 10:27 AM
I agree. I also think if the first nations could get what they want, we would have a focus on habitat protection not the destructive "economy first wilderness second" philosophy our country utilizes.

Roughneck Country
06-22-2013, 02:13 PM
There needs to be a lot more prescribed burn in BC & other places. sheep habitat shrinks every year as the forest creeps higher

HarryToolips
06-22-2013, 02:33 PM
RIght on guys

Muy Grande
06-22-2013, 04:04 PM

I strongly suggest that you read the HBC rules and regulations; and familiarize your self with #3 okay...just sayin'...

lilhoss
06-22-2013, 09:02 PM
There needs to be a lot more prescribed burn in BC & other places. sheep habitat shrinks every year as the forest creeps higher
x2,I believe a lot of forest fires in remote areas should be left to burn themselves out.As long as life and property are not affected,monitor the spread,and let nature do it's thing.

olympia
06-23-2013, 05:17 PM
I wonder just how many of these "professionals" that say no or yes to prescribed burns are actually hunters or hikers. I think part of the problem is that the people that make important decisions regarding our environment do not even set foot into nature themselves, it seems a lot of decisions they make is based on classroom and text book experience. Too bad we didn't do a prescribed burn to rid the trees of pine beetle before they got such a foot hold.

BlackOwL
06-23-2013, 05:46 PM
I wonder just how many of these "professionals" that say no or yes to prescribed burns are actually hunters or hikers. I think part of the problem is that the people that make important decisions regarding our environment do not even set foot into nature themselves, it seems a lot of decisions they make is based on classroom and text book experience. Too bad we didn't do a prescribed burn to rid the trees of pine beetle before they got such a foot hold.

Actually some of those "professionals" are firefighters and hunters with a concern between preservation of the species and habitat, a fire can become from friend to enemy before You say "fart" :mrgreen:
that said I am not against controlled fires with lots of supervision.

rocksteady
06-23-2013, 06:22 PM

I would have to say most, if not all...

Burns like this are approved at a local level, not by a beaurocrat in Victoria...

Cordillera
06-24-2013, 09:45 PM
There are lots of people in the bureaucracy that understand the value of wildfire but also know it has to be done right. What we need is more partnerships with conservation organizations and First Nations and government to work on this together. Do proper planning, find the resources so the risks are properly addressed, and make it happen. There are a few good examples of this in the province but we need many more.