PDA

View Full Version : Where would you love to live?

BIGHUNTERFISH
01-07-2007, 09:00 PM
I know alot of us live in a location because of our family situation and job obligations,but if you could have your dream job in any location then where would you love to live.I would love to have a small hobby farm in the Fairmont Hot springs area,how about you guys? :lol:

3kills
01-07-2007, 09:03 PM
if i didnt have to worry about workin i would have the ranch i seen in rock creek last year that was for sale...but since i have to work i m right where i want to be....growin up i hated it here and couldnt wait to get out and now i like it and i want to stay and i was lucky enough to get a decent job when i was done school and i m movin up fast and get raise after rasie :D

longhairmtnman
01-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Central interior for me. Hopefully by 2010. Until then I need to stay and make the money.

Poguebilt
01-07-2007, 09:13 PM
I just moved to Cranbrook!!

Boy did I make a good choice!

Bow Walker
01-07-2007, 09:15 PM
If it were possible and money was no object I'd have somewhere between 20 and 30 acres of just natural land, near enough to a reasonable sized city (for the ameneties and services) but out far enough so as to be in the "wilderness" with lots of hunting and fishing in and around my property.

lip_ripper00
01-07-2007, 09:18 PM
man this question is more and more on my mind. When I sell here it"s going to be the Cariboo or the Kootneys, Wasa is looking better and better all the time!

Steeleco
01-07-2007, 09:25 PM
OUT of the lower mainland, I like Merritt as it's got lots to do outdoors and is close to Vancouver for family BS!!!! Besides I hear tell of a good meat cutter in town!!!

If I were a single man, any place in the Cariboo that catches my fancy once I started to look.

01-07-2007, 09:26 PM
I am living where l want!! :):) The north okanagan offers everything l am looking for in terms of life style, proximity to great hunting, fishing and close to mountains with spectacular scenery.

rock
01-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Peace river would be the place for me specially on a ranch, hopefully a few more years and it could come true pending on the markets.

DropTines
01-07-2007, 09:32 PM
I owuld live right her in Princeton BC, but it would be nice to own a getaway ranch on the Jewel lake road in greenwood or rock creek
________
MARY JANE (http://maryjanes.info/)

dana
01-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Living the dream right now here in Birch Island.

ruttinbuck
01-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Clinton would be great for me.
Fair amount of family history there already.I am planning on retiring there,just have'nt told the other half yet.RB

Rod
01-07-2007, 09:41 PM
I have lived in most of Canada, Germany, and the US. BC is number one over anywhere I have lived or even visited.

After a lifetime of dreaming of making a permanent move I am on the Island and I love it but I don't think I'm done yet.

I can see myself in the Caribou on a ranch or hobby farm with a few horses/mules, decent shop with a lathe, bluing tanks etc and of course a woodworking shop where I can get back to making furniture to support my hunting and shooting habbits.

alremkin
01-07-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm in the process of buying my retirement home in Burns Lake the deal is scheduled to complete this coming Friday. I hear there's a state of the art 1,000 yard range there:)

Schmaus
01-07-2007, 09:58 PM
I love it in PG 15 minutes in pretty much any direction and there are decent spots to hunt, quad, snowmobile, or fish.

Will
01-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Happy right in the Interior 8)

The Hermit
Okay I just won the $4oM lotto eh... Lets see... I'd have all of the following: For deep winter an oceanfront condo on a resort golf course in Hawaii, For spring a chalet in the Swiss alps, for summer a 75 foot off-shore cruiser, but first and most important a LARGE acreage with ranch, forest, mountain, lakes and streams in northern BC for hunting season! :-)

.308win
Moved out here away from family and friends ~7000kms from home 7 yrs ago, for work and of corse money, but if those things didn't matter in life i'd love to have some acerage back in newfie.....You know were all the moose are....LOL!....All and all B.C as been good to me and the people have been too....yes even you Dana!

Ajsawden
01-07-2007, 10:04 PM
id love to find a nice little hole on the island with a few hundred acres of trees, maybe some farmland, beside a lake, and access to the mountians. But the odds of finding that in a few years seem pretty slim, too much developement down here.
Id love to have the scenario up in the kootenay's or peace river. Somewhere I can be, "away from it all"

Seth
01-07-2007, 10:12 PM
The island has it's pros and cons. A pro, being Victoria and its slightly more laid back lifestyle. The number one con being the limitations it puts on hunting and recreation. The extra four hours of travel time in getting off and then back onto the island sucks, as does the four hundred dollars in additional costs tacked on by our friends at BC Ferries just for getting to the mainland with camper and trailer. Last but not least is the time restraints the ferries put on travel. We on the island can't just work a full friday and be in prime mulie habitat within hours like you in the lower mainland. If I could pick somewhere to reside/retire it would probably be the Kootenays, not sure where in particular. I'm sure most of islanders agree on the whole ferries thing but it does keep some of the rif raf away!

30-06
01-07-2007, 10:16 PM
I would like to live in FSJ..i wanna be a hunting guide when im older and that is the perfect stop..go tthe hook ups for it to.my brothers friend is one up there....but besides that..Right Here In Tulameen Sounds Good

Barracuda
01-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Australia .
Its warm (we hate the cold), I love the lifestyle culture and the people. The land is vast, plenty of coastline(lots of fishing) and tonnes of interesting animals and a way of looking at the world That is refreshing and exciting . It has been described as the new old west !
Should be an adventure:)

Chuck
01-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Money no problem! I just fell in love with the country south and west a ways of Tatla Lake in the Chilcotin. Man the hunting and fishing! And range - you can go for days on horseback and see nobody. Absolutely virgin.:smile: :smile:

mainland hunter
01-07-2007, 11:11 PM
East Kootenay's or Ft St. John area

JMac
01-07-2007, 11:16 PM
If I could keep my dream job it'd be "Gods Country".................Gun lake or Chilco's place (where the big mountains all lock in!). The wife and kids would leave me for sure LOL. However, I consider Kamloops to be the heartland of Mule deer heaven at this point in time. I'm sure they'd be okay with that. There's certain parts of the states that would be alright Arizona, Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana. Anywhere the Biggest mulies in the world dwell.... but hey that's just me and my IMO!

Woodrow
01-07-2007, 11:40 PM
we hunt white tail, mule deer, moose, elk, bear, predators, geese and i dont think it could get any better! but it allways can

BCbillies
01-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Terrace - BC's best kept secret (until recently)! World class fishing, goats, bears and a short drive to Stone's sheep. Still one of the few affordable places left, plenty of fresh air and far enough away from the relatives, crowds, and earthy folks.... Just a little tough to find a good job!

Gateholio
01-08-2007, 01:02 AM
The more I think of it, the more I think i woudl like to buy some recreational property somewhere with good hunting potential, then spend some time getting to know the area really well. Since I proabbly woudln't use it much unless it was close, somewhere in the Cariboo would make the most sense..One ht eothe rhand, the north also captures my interest.

I already sorta live in the bush, so I dont' need a "get away from the neighbors and relax" sort of place. I have no neighbors as it is...

Derek_Erickson
01-08-2007, 01:22 AM
Kamloops, is about the best place to live I'd say , hunting all around anything you'd like to do!

Jetboat
01-08-2007, 05:03 AM
Right where I am. I live 20 minutes north of Fort St. John on my 1/4 section farm :) I work 7 on - 7 off and get p/u & dropped off at my front door in a company provided 4x4 8-)

mrdoog
01-08-2007, 05:06 AM
Dixon Creek Road area. Between Kamloops and Barriere.

Jetboat
01-08-2007, 05:41 AM
Dixon Creek Road

:) I used to live there. The Barriere water tower was in my yard :lol:

Bushman
01-08-2007, 06:01 AM
Atlin or thereabouts.

hunter1947
01-08-2007, 06:27 AM
Cranbrook BC for this cowboy ,then i could really get to know the country. hunter1947.

ARC
01-08-2007, 08:27 AM
For me it would have to be the west kootenays. I have lived in FSJ for the past year and a half, and while the hunting is great, I sure miss having the mountains practically at my doorstep. I find that living right in the mountains increases my recreational opportunities and also makes more enjoyable. Also, I would have to say that great fishing is much more accessible down there as well.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-08-2007, 08:44 AM
East Koots for me. Kimberly, Cranbrook, Fernie, Sparwood or any where in between. Smorgasbourg of game, beautiful scenery and World Class fishing in the rivers. It doesn't get much better!

SSS

MichelD
01-08-2007, 10:30 AM
I'm really fond of so many places like Greenwood, Rock Creek, Princeton, Lillooet, Ashcroft, Savona, Walachin, Barriere, Clinton, and others,that even if I had the money, it would be very tough to choose.

But whenever I look at the wilted brown lettuce and limp carrots in the local Overwaitea or whatever the store is in any of those places, it reminds me of the benefits of all the Chinese and Italian grocery stores right where I live right now.

I've often thought that even if I had the money that I'd invest in a very good camper and big 4x4 truck so that I could go to any and all of the above places and elsewhere, rather than have to go to the same place all the time.

The Lower Mainland has some dynamite waterfowling nearly all winter that the other places don't, and I'm finished with the Island and Islands and ferries. Done that.

The 'Hummer'
01-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Used to live in Wells and still have a hunting cabin up in that neck of the woods for Moose trips, but I don't want to live there year round.
One area of interest I've 'noticed' on a few occasions is on the connector between Kelowna & Merritt, up in the higher areas closer to Merritt where the small lakes are. Looks interesting.
Howerer, for quite a few years now I've resided just south of Naniamo and love the island. Good Deer hunting opportunities in this vacinity, especially if you're into archery. :smile: Overall, pretty good weather and some good fishing that isn't too far away. Like the odd trip to the Tofino for 'peace & quiet' and one of these days, some rugged weather. Hard area to beat so I'll probably stay here and take my yearly hunting trips to other locations.:wink:
The Princeton area looks really good as well.

Browningmirage
01-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Im an island guy, and for me it would most likely be somewhere like Port hardy or something like that, but now it is school, so i get to be in Prince George

puppychow
01-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Vancouver Island Where Elk And Black Bears Roam.

Gun Dog
01-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Good question. I really like the mountains and winter so I keep looking at Revelstoke. On the other hand, BC is freakin' huge (bigger than Washington, Oregon & Califoria together) and I really haven't seen much of it.

craigchaplin
01-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Think i would like to live in or around Kamloops.......trophy fly-fishing right out yer door.....lotsa hunting and slower pace. Think the old lady would like it too as there is still everything she needs. Dunno how the duck hunting would be though.....sure it must be pretty good there too.

Mini_Me
01-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Quadra Island.

It's my only home, I've lived there for 6 years and we always have to move so next time around we're pushing for Quadra.

huntwriter
01-08-2007, 08:36 PM
I have had a dream job that took me all over the world for 30+ plus years until I retired from it in 2001. There are millions of beautiful places in the world where I could live happily to the end of my days. I have met thousands of the most beautiful people and have close friends all over the world. But right here in BC is my home and I would not change it for anything in the world, because it is HOME.

Jagermeister
01-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Kamloops for me, although I could've stayed in Quesnel for that matter. Kamloops is central to the south part of the province and an easy drive to most of the places that I want to frequent. It will take a little extra effort to get to those further places like the east Kootenays and the Peace and Ominica areas. But, when your retired, you have time to visit the province at your leisure, right?

bsa30-06
01-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Anywhere around 100 mile house will be just fine with me.I keep telling the wife thats where we will retire but i don't think she likes that idea.I would like some acreage and some horses in that area.

J_T
01-08-2007, 09:22 PM
I'm there. Just moved back to Cranbrook after a difficult 5 years in Maple Ridge.

JT

browningboy
01-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Either the north side of PG just before the Salmon river or the south by Buckhorn on at least 200 acres from may to november then the rest of time in palm springs.

3kills
01-08-2007, 10:22 PM
OUT of the lower mainland, I like Merritt as it's got lots to do outdoors and is close to Vancouver for family BS!!!! Besides I hear tell of a good meat cutter in town!!!

ya i heard he was pretty dam good and pretty good price...u better get something next year so u can get it cut :D

SUAFOYT
01-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Very interesting responses. We bailed out of the big smoke in 1990 and haven't regretted it a bit. You must be ready to make changes in your life tho- for the first year or so I had a tough time letting go of the friends at the coast- as in thinking of making the trip down every other weekend. Have to get used to the "small town mentality"- it really exists and can cause problems. Lack of having services you're used to whenever you want them also can be a problem. Now you couldn't get me outta here with a bomb. My hunting buds come up and stay with us regularly and I really enjoy it. We're 5 minutes from some primo deer territory and 20 minutes from where the moose can be. Lots of lakes but I'm still not much of a fresh water fisherman but am learning. Still love to get on the chuck. It's all made easier as the wife is my best hunting partner.

Phil
01-08-2007, 10:45 PM
I spend a lot of time heading up tp 100 Mile. I have fallen for some of the scenery between Spences Bridge and Clinton. I'de have to say a chunk of land hidden on the back of one of those rolling hills would do me nicely.

Deaddog
01-09-2007, 07:40 AM
Have to say I am pretty content where I am, PG has provided great jobs for both my wife and I , a lake property for the summer (they're getting warmer you know!!) and acreage at the base of a mountain where we can simply saddle up the horses or quad and ride for days on the trails behind our house, fishing within fifteen min as well. Central for us as we spend a lot of time in the okanogan with family and then I spend the majority of my hunting time in the top of the province. Retirement hopefully finds us here six months and down mexico or central america for six, good post as it made me think a bit, thanks DD

luckynuts
01-09-2007, 04:47 PM
I bet I know what jetboat does for a living:lol: :lol: Temps Sure dropped off and a real blizzard today. Can't wait for some songdog hunting on Saturday.

W

oldtimer
01-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Pretty hard to beat Quesnel !!! Son and his family here and great outdoors. Four distinct seasons, Son and his family. great hunting, son and his family, excellent economy and only 8 hrs from La La land and 10 from my dad on the Island and 6 hours from in-laws in Vernon. Oh yea did I mention Son and his Family ( GRAND KIDS )) lol Mike

john-brennan
01-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Kamloops, Cranbrook or Williams lake in that order i love the hunting around all of them.

farside
01-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Your funny Mike. Sound like those kids have you wrapped up.

We think on this very often now. WE are approaching the end of our current mortage (5 more yrs or so) and are ALMOST at the point of looking to buy another piece of property. Soon as a couple more bills are gone we will probably make the leap.

Seriously thinking of anywhere in the central interior. Plan on keeping the house here on the island for a while yet but buying for the future in the interior. Bare land would be great. Park our trailer there for hunting season. Sigh

Odd-6
01-09-2007, 07:38 PM
I am an island fan, but would move futher away (north) from the of the development and influx of people. Of course, if I had major bucks world wide hunting , of course returning here... I love BC.

3kills
01-09-2007, 08:24 PM
mike i have to agree with u...i miss livin in quesnal....its a good place to live....

bogman
01-09-2007, 09:46 PM
A year & half ago I bought 10 acres just east of Oliver and I can't imagine how any where else could get any better. I have been on the ocean all my life and I know this place will be my "Final Anchorage"

Mckinney Creek Adventures
01-09-2007, 10:55 PM
For me, I think I am where I want to be, so long as it does not get to crowded. We have the privacy of twenty acres. Clean spring fed wells for water, and a great view of mountains. Have deer, moose, turkeys, grouse, and the occasional bear pass through, and elk are moving in. I trap and hunt cougar with a friend who has the licenced area here. Guide for the local outfitter right in the back yard (so to speak). We are up against crown land and hunt, ATV, snowmbobile, horseback, etc. from the door step. Town is half an hour away, general store and Prospector pub in Rock Creek is 10 minutes. Have a great river to fish or float. Lots of mountain lakes full of Rainbow. The Ski hill is 10 kms up the road with another lounge.

Wife grew up on a farm over the hill, and loves it out in the bush. I work in the bush, so I have a hour plus drive no matter what. I am having a hard time thinking of something better. Oh ya, we have a good butcher/sausage maker in town also!

We think we have something so special, we opened up a rental vacation/adventure cottage accomodation to share the great area.

I think I live where I want to retirement and I still have 30 years to get there!

MCA

willy442
01-09-2007, 11:07 PM
NE B.C. from June to October and somewhere warm and dry November to May. Arizonia isn't to bad.

The Hermit
01-09-2007, 11:25 PM
I know I answered before but got to remembering the two years I spent up in Yellowknife... neat place with UNBELIEVEABLE fishing and hunting opportunities. I might like a cabin up there too!

lip_ripper00
01-09-2007, 11:42 PM
was looking on the net this afternoon and found a place 45km east of Quesnel, 2.5 ac 180 ft lake front 2 yr old 2500sqft house 180,000 hhhmmmm...

kishman
01-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Pretty much anywhere in the Kootneys here, really like the area around Grand Forks.

Ronforca
01-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Oliver in the Southern Okanagan for me.I have Deer in my yard and am very close to Moose and Elk plus Duck and Goose hunting.Very warm summers and quite mild winters with hardly any snow.Hillbilly Heaven

The 'Hummer'
01-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Pretty hard to beat Quesnel !!! Son and his family here and great outdoors. Four distinct seasons, Son and his family. great hunting, son and his family, excellent economy and only 8 hrs from La La land and 10 from my dad on the Island and 6 hours from in-laws in Vernon. Oh yea did I mention Son and his Family ( GRAND KIDS )) lol Mike

Just don't 'thin' the Moose out too much in the Bowron area. I still have a hunting cabin there.:wink:

frenchbar
01-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Right here in Lillooet for me,1 minute drive to work ,roughly 40 minute drive with the horse,s to the trails into gods country,horse,s right in my back yard ,great fly fishin,within an hour and ahalf ,not to mention great fishing 5 minutes from my house,not going to sleep at night worrying about gettin my rigs stolen or broken into. LIFE IS GOOD RIGHT HERE FOR THIS COWBOY!

Birddog
01-10-2007, 11:09 AM
I love it here in Campbell River. Huntings good, fishing is great. I got the greatest job in the world too. I would miss the ocean to much if I left here. If I had to move it would be to Sayward. Still on the water and a small town.

Cheers Birddog

BigD
01-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Bella Coola, best of both worlds, on the ocean and close to the Chilcoltin, hunting and fishing for just about everything, saltwater and freshwater, mountains, lakes, rivers, skiing, snowmobiling. Not many people. On a float house out in the inlet would be best because if I ever wanted to move I could just tow her up to the next inlet.

FlyingHigh
01-10-2007, 03:45 PM
I would love to live on the outskirts of Kamloops with an acreage or small ranch. room to race a play car, shoot targets, etc. etc. it'll come. lol

YoungGun
01-10-2007, 09:55 PM
cranbrook, they have every animal in there back yard! Fishing would be in kitimat!

elkguide
01-11-2007, 08:23 PM
There is a place that I remember vividly from my childhood and my father and brother and I used to go fishing when we had a bit of time on the weekends., Where the kootenay and white rivers meet. I'd love to build a big ol log house there and soak up the wilderness. Hunt fish hunt fish hunt fish hunt fish hunt fish. wake up the next day and do it all over again.

NightOwl74
01-12-2007, 02:46 AM
I want to live right where I am. I grew up here in Kelowna, lost my senses in my mid-twenties and moved to Victoria for one year, then to Vancouver for five. Got a good job in Vancouver, but every single day I dreamed about fishing and hunting at my old "spots" in Kelowna. Two years ago got the transfer with my job back to Kelowna, and here I am, for good I hope. By the way, I was about 3 years too late in buying a house and now all I can afford is a 550 sq, ft. apartment:cry: .

Wildman
01-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Invermere.............except there is no Ocean!

model88
01-12-2007, 08:48 AM
There is a place that I remember vividly from my childhood and my father and brother and I used to go fishing when we had a bit of time on the weekends., Where the kootenay and white rivers meet. I'd love to build a big ol log house there and soak up the wilderness. Hunt fish hunt fish hunt fish hunt fish hunt fish. wake up the next day and do it all over again.

That is a beautiful spot, have spent some time up there, wish I could spend more.

I too am living where I want to be, the Elk Valley.

kevan
01-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Retiring in 4 yrs.,can't wait to move to our cabin right on the lake 18 mi. east of 70 mile...good fishing , good hunting, great neighbors on a year-round road, 40 mins. to Exeter Sporting Goods in 100 Mile.

3d bowman
01-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Hot, dirt floor and a grass shack.

Beverly
01-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Hmm well some day.... I am going to sell my business and move to any place where supplies come by float plane or at least a whole days drive away and I can shoot Moose from the deck while I drink morning coffee :)

Not quite sure where that is yet lol!

3d bowman
01-13-2007, 02:48 AM
Hey Birddog,
FF also, well I'm a poc. Gonna go full time soon. Are you full time?? Been at it ten years this May and yes nothing beats it.

Birddog
01-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Hey 3D Bowman:

Yes I'm full time. Greatest job in the world. Where ya a poc at?

Cheers Birddog

LeverActionJunkie
01-13-2007, 10:05 AM
As soon as I find a decent welding job I'm gonna move to 100mile, either 108 or horse lake area. I aint gonna spend my life wishing I could live somewhere when a guy can just move there. Of course if many more people move up from the coast a guy isn't gonna be able to afford to live anywhere south of McKenzie.