PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Sticks

ROY-alty33
06-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Homemade like the ones on VarmintAl . com
Or bite the bullet and drop $100+ on BOG gear?
Comments, suggestions, experiences?

hunter1993ap
06-18-2013, 07:57 PM
too heavy to pack for what there worth imo.., you have to draw the line on how much new gear you buy and shooting sticks are not high on my list. when I was really young hunting with my dad he made me pack around two pieces of half inch dowling drilled together, so they could adjust to whatever height you needed. worked fine for me

Good2bCanadian
06-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Used my shooting sticks for the first time. Lost my shooting sticks that first time. DOH!

albravo2
06-18-2013, 08:48 PM
i pin my two walking sticks together.

works pretty good.

Gun Dog
06-19-2013, 12:46 PM
I find them handy if I'm sitting in my Doghouse (blind) or other spot where I'm sitting for hours. I got mine on sale at Cabela's for around $20. You need to decide when you're going to use them -- sitting, standing or from a chair. That'll determine the length you need. I like at least 3 sections so it's almost compact when folded.

Sofa King
06-19-2013, 12:55 PM
I've never felt a need for them. I've leaned on a fencepost before, and even a stump. never been in a situation where there wasn't something around to use, or most times, just using my own arms, old-school style.

Hunt'n Guide
06-19-2013, 01:11 PM
I'd say it all depends on what you need them for. If you need something that extends when you need it and can be packed small when you aren't using it something like a BOG gear or Stonypoint setup is nice to have. I've got several sets of different styles that I use with clients. But, I very seldom bother with sticks when hunting myself.

BiG Boar
06-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Shooting sticks are a complete waste of carrying weight. Don't waste your hard earned money. If I had a guide I'd make him carry it, but I'd go with a bi pod long before shooting sticks. They are meant for the tall grasses of alberta and africa. Practice shooting prone, and sitting and you'll always have a rest then.

eastkoot
06-19-2013, 03:33 PM
I use 2 6 foot 5/8 dowels for 5 bucks and use black tape and rubber bands to allow for a pivot point 3-4 inches from the top... They use them every day in Africa and i have no problem carrying them or using for walking sticks as well.. No need to spend the big bucks for the same result.... take the .22 out and practice with them..

slim
06-21-2013, 10:23 AM
i bought the bog pod tripod just this year. i really liked it and you can adjust it from sitting to standing height. I am over 6 ft tall and my wife is just over 5 feet so she can use them too. Also you can use them as a tripod for spotting scope and camera and as a walking stick. by being used for 3 different tools it saves on weight already

Sofa King
06-21-2013, 10:49 AM
i just find, myself, that i've never been in a situation yet, where shooting sticks were needed.
i mostly still-hunt, walking and stopping every so often to do a scan of the surrounding area. that and following tracks in the snow. i find that the majority of my shots are fairly quick, usually after jumping a deer. after a brief, initial run, the deer stops and bang. or, i track him some more and eventually get the shot. so, given the reaction time usually in my situations, the sticks would be no benefit.

and in the very odd occasion where i've sat and watch an area, waiting for a particular deer to come by, i'm more than rested from sitting and have no problem holding my gun steady.

i guess really, the sticks are most beneficial for more long distance shots.

RoscoeP
06-21-2013, 10:55 AM
I ripped a broken hockey stick down the middle on a table saw then used a stainless bolt, painted camo, black, brown and green. I drilled holes in the bottom of the legs and put in screws then cut the heads off. Just need to glue a bit of rubber or leather where the gun will rest. Hockey sticks are laminated so they are very strong and it looks really good, also makes a nice walking stick and not heavy at all. Couple of my friends have copied my idea and made some also. Cheers Roscoe

mijinkal
06-21-2013, 11:25 AM
I picked up a SnipePod last summer and couldn't be happier. http://www.snipepod.com/
They're light (5 oz), quick to deploy, sturdy and strong. You can carry them around on your gun, or in your pocket. I hike around with them fully extended off the sides of the gun and they stay out of the way. They're also easily swapped between guns.
Best $110 I've spent on hunting gear yet!

slayer B
06-23-2013, 10:56 AM
I made mine with two five foot pieces of bamboo from the Shar-Kare with a bunch of surgical rubber from a fishing store wrapped around it. Put some hockey tape in the right spots so it doesn't clack together and you are good to go. Makes a strong lightweight hiking stick too. Might cost you three or four bucks, so if you forget it somewhere it's no big deal and it sure is nice to have if you see one at a distance in the Christmas trees or tall brush.

rcar
06-23-2013, 11:30 AM
I bought a Stoney Point a couple of years back thinking I needed one. Pretty much never use it. The odd time when I am in a spot that I do need/want one, I just make a simple 2 stick one on the go.

sheephunterab
06-23-2013, 03:02 PM
I've shot a lot off of sticks in Africa and occasionally in North America and I'd vote for a three-legged version that is collapsible. I prefer cam locks to twist locks. I presently use a BogPod and am happy with it.

Rackmastr
06-24-2013, 07:48 AM
Love the BogPod tripod model.....theres nothing better that I've found thats as solid and bomb proof as them!

Cordillera
06-25-2013, 10:01 PM
I think most hunters should use some form of rest and many over estimate their accuracy. I shoot biathlon and know how much wobble will happen even if you are strong and well practiced. Whether its shooting sticks, monopod, or a homemade bipod (great idea) I think they are essential if you aren't near a tree or something (truck) to lean against. I hunt the brush for moose so a bipod is too low; I used a cheap cabelas monopod and more recently use a simple pair of sticks. Both are good. For caribou and goats a bipod is perfect. If you think you are really good off hand go to the range and shoot five rounds off hand at 150 yards, then repeat with a pair of sticks. Then decide.

Sofa King
06-25-2013, 10:09 PM
I think most hunters should use some form of rest and many over estimate their accuracy. I shoot biathlon and know how much wobble will happen even if you are strong and well practiced. Whether its shooting sticks, monopod, or a homemade bipod (great idea) I think they are essential if you aren't near a tree or something (truck) to lean against. I hunt the brush for moose so a bipod is too low; I used a cheap cabelas monopod and more recently use a simple pair of sticks. Both are good. For caribou and goats a bipod is perfect. If you think you are really good off hand go to the range and shoot five rounds off hand at 150 yards, then repeat with a pair of sticks. Then decide.

not practical at all when one still-hunts.
i usually jump my deer and there is almost no time to be trying to set up and rest my gun on a stick.
i think it's wiser for people to practice shooting off-hand and be ready for all situations.

Gun Dog
06-26-2013, 09:04 AM
When still hunting I'll shoot kneeling, sitting, off a tree, off my partner but never off-hand. I've spent a lot of time at the range. I know what my groups are shooting off-hand. Not good enough to hit the boiler 100% of the time.