PDA

View Full Version : Flounder for Pops

andrewscag
06-17-2013, 05:47 PM
My folks are coming up this weekend for a visit and Dad loves flounder. I'd love to catch a few for him along with some crab but I've never had too much luck with flounder. Got one last week off of crescent beach, and a few more last year launching from ambleside but thats about the best I've done. I've been looking for similar spots to the ones I've had luck with crabs at (sandy bottom usually around 30') using buzz bombs, worms, and shrimp. What am I doing wrong? I'm in Langley and just have a 13' Boston Whaler so I can't really go out too far off shore. Any hints?

pnbrock
06-17-2013, 07:13 PM
where they from?

Salty
06-17-2013, 08:57 PM
No idea about your area for fishing at all but I've caught most flounder in sandy flats around 50 feet of water on small buzz bombs. Touch the bottom lots with your jig. Don't let your lure leave the bottom few feet of water.

andrewscag
06-17-2013, 09:25 PM
They've been in AZ for the past 12 years. NY state before that

Yeah that sounds about like my method. Sculpins have been beating the flounder and sole. I might try out belcara and see what happens out that way. I've never really targeted them before. Figured it wouldn't be too hard but I haven't been too successful the past few weeks. Maybe boundary bay just isn't a good spot for them

Steelpulse
06-18-2013, 09:00 AM
I am spending my summer down south surrey close to White Rock pier, fly fishing for flounder on the sand flats, walk the pier on a sunny day high tide ive seen as many as 10 flounder just from the pier polarized sunglasses are a must, toss down a jig with plastics, minnows, shrimp to them they are generally pretty eager to bite, also walk the flat in the am sight fish them they come right to the shore in a foot of water, sizes up to 20 inches, i don't have a boat but you do so not sure where you'd go but sand bottom drift and jig slowly

andrewscag
06-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Thanks steelpulse. I'll give that a shot. Way closer than a drive to belcara

tuner
06-18-2013, 09:38 PM
try tsawaassen between ferry terminal and the coal port, it used to be excellent for flounder.

Wild one
06-19-2013, 07:50 AM
I have not done it in a few years but squid cut into strips worked great for me in the past. A bell sinker with a 2 foot leader and piece of squid about 3 inch long and 1/2 inch wide. drift along a sand flat dragging the bottom or jigging it seemed to work well.

Caught lots but had to work through the small flounder to get the nicer ones here in the lower mainland

Steelpulse
06-20-2013, 01:02 PM
and theres always stevenston fish market, can get them alive there

andrewscag
06-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Cheater huh? :wink:

andrewscag
06-22-2013, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Got a keeper flounder and limit of crab for my folks

yakideath12
06-22-2013, 10:12 AM
http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/tips/Surf_Fishing/basic_bottom_fishing_rigs_surf_fishing.htm

same mechanism.

defends on tide

i prefer to use pyramid sinker

go to tnt or other asian sea food store, buy one squid and cut it small strips it will long last few years

Steelpulse
06-22-2013, 10:47 AM
where did you get the keeper? the pier?

andrewscag
06-22-2013, 11:07 AM
@ steel pulse - I actually got him near where I dropped the pots. Off the mile marker in tsawassen. Only one I got all afternoon though