PDA

View Full Version : Finger Tab with a Compound?

Speratus
06-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Anyone else shoot a compound with a finger tab? Would've interested in hearing thoughts, experiences & pros vs cons.
cheers!

Jagermeister
06-17-2013, 10:16 AM
I did it once when I got my first compound bow. When I went to the release, accuracy vastly improved. Finger tabs are best suited for Berger button type rests, not so with prong type rests.
Winn Archery offered a release a few years back that emulated finger release. You clipped it onto the string like any other release, but you had to keep tension on the trigger while drawing and holding a full draw. To fire the arrow, you simply released the pressure on the trigger. It took some getting used to if you had used the standard release, but I think the transition from finger tab to this type of release would be quite easy. It did not catch on and Winn discontinued it after a couple of years.

Elkaddict
06-17-2013, 10:49 AM
I still shoot a compound with fingers . The problem these days is that the bows are so short it is difficult to find one long enough to minimize finger pinch. You will probably want to be somewhere around 40" or better, axle to axle for a comfortable draw.

G.A.
06-17-2013, 10:55 AM
for me its a tru ball release..think the link is the model i use..

..http://www.truball.com/Stinger.html

redthorn
06-17-2013, 10:54 PM
would love to be able to, but I don't have the time to commit to training with it. A release (I use a tru-fire) works and is accurate. unless you have tons of time to practice with a tab, I would not use them

Jagermeister
06-17-2013, 11:25 PM
I still shoot a compound with fingers . The problem these days is that the bows are so short it is difficult to find one long enough to minimize finger pinch. You will probably want to be somewhere around 40" or better, axle to axle for a comfortable draw.I forgot about that. That was even painful with a 46 inch recurve.

TheProvider
06-18-2013, 10:22 AM
Like mentioned. Not for bows with short ATA.

Speratus
06-18-2013, 11:44 AM
I believe my Bear WhiteTail II is 45" ATA, and I have a 29" draw length. No finger pinch. Anchor under chin, nose on the string using a finger tab. It's a 20yr old bow, but man it's awesome!

slayer B
06-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Watch for a sale and get a release. It will be the best thing you can do. Your groups will shrink almost instantly. I was a finger tab guy when I started but once I got a release I swore I would never go back!

RoscoeP
06-18-2013, 01:54 PM
I believe my Bear WhiteTail II is 45" ATA, and I have a 29" draw length. No finger pinch. Anchor under chin, nose on the string using a finger tab. It's a 20yr old bow, but man it's awesome!
If it is 45"ata it would be fine with a tab, but if it's 20 years old it probably needs a new string and cables. Cheers Roscoe

Elkaddict
06-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Releases are great for getting those itty bitty groups, and for whacking the super bull shooting 3D, but I still enjoy shooting with fingers. An extra tab is easier and cheaper to pack when hunting, a tab is quieter and arguably quicker when hunting as well. I will probably migrate to a release for my compound one day, as the longer bows are getting harder and harder to find, but I think that with shooting fingers still has a place in archery hunting for some.

Blk Arrow
06-18-2013, 09:22 PM
I am still shooting with a finger tab on a compound bow.
Downsides.
1. You need to practice to stay on your game.
2. Keeping your fingers warm
3. More variables on your release that can mess up your shot.
4. Finding a bow that is long enough without finger pinch.
Positives

1. Quick to draw

2. Can be shoot without tab. ( I might be good for 2 shots)
3. Is it really archery if you have to pull a trigger?:grin: Just kidding!

aggiehunter
06-18-2013, 09:37 PM
if you choose the release and your a hunter...buy two....trust me...

longstonec
09-06-2013, 12:35 PM
^^^^That was weird.

I used to shoot fingers with my compound but not with a tab. I used a NOGLOVE. two little rubber doo-dads that slide onto string above and below nock. I still have one on my recurve and have switched to a release on compound.

--this is the only picture I could find of one http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=5402

bugler
09-06-2013, 08:18 PM
38" ATA Hoyt Protec for me currently. I would not go shorter. If you practise plenty I think it is a superior method for hunting. Quicker, quieter, less opportunity for equipment failure, but you definitely have to practise more. Chuck Adams still shoots compound with fingers. If its good enough for Chuck it's good enough for me!

Bowzone_Mikey
09-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Bugler ... I had a Protec with 3000 limbs and Spirals ... 41" ATA ... I shot it with a Glove and it was awesome ...

If I were to hunt I would use a glove as opposed to a tab for a few reasons ... mainly for the less chance of loosing it ... keep at least 3 of your fingers warmer.

Speratus
09-10-2013, 12:19 AM
Still shooting finger tab with old Bear WhiteTail II - 29" Draw Length. Personal preference really, but the extra practice allows me to shoot more often, and you can still hit bullseye... No real downside, as my finger tab fits on top of my gloves.
Cheers!

Tanya
09-10-2013, 05:53 AM
I have shot my compound which is a 15 year old PSE Nova with finger tabs and a flipper rest for many years. I also have a Hoyt Vipertec which is fun to shoot, but due to finger pinch because of it being short I need to use a release. As a long time finger shooter I had a lot of difficulty with the trigger style releases. A friend who had gone through the same issues told me about the Winn Archery release, which hooks on and you pull back to the same anchor point as with fingers, then release your fingers in the same manner as shooting with tabs. It was a huge difference for me, I've even used it on the old PSE.

greybark
09-10-2013, 09:59 AM
I prefer the Saunders tab as it is quite slick and stays that way no matter wet or dry . The layers allow some adjustment as to personnel string feel .
Cheers

Blk Arrow
09-12-2013, 09:14 PM
I shoot a Protec with the 3000 limbs and cam&1/2s. My preference is a calf hair tab. The King /PSE tabs in calf hair came with a piece of rubber between the backing and the calf hair. I cut the rubber out and then work the backing over with a light ball peen hammer to make it thinner. I believe this allows me to detect subtle differences in string pressure on my fingers and make the necessary adjustments to maintain consistency.

guntech
09-18-2013, 09:17 AM
When I was shooting a lot (65-70 pound Compound bow) I worked my way to bare fingers. A bit sore until they toughened up but it worked well.