PDA

View Full Version : Ticks in Turkyland????

Goshawk
06-17-2013, 08:19 AM
A friend was telling me that ticks can be a problem in the Kootenays and Okanogen. Is this so and if so what do you do to prevent tick bites? No ticks up here so far. Bob

J_T
06-17-2013, 11:14 AM
???? Just pick them off when you find them. No big deal. If you got one digging in, just make sure you've got it all out. No biggy. Something to be aware of, but certainly not something to be concerned or afraid of.

Singleshotneeded
06-18-2013, 01:13 AM
long pants and lightweight hikers until the summer heat makes them a non issue...

boxhitch
06-18-2013, 07:05 AM
Deet can work to some extent to keep them off , long pants with the cuffs tucked into the socks keep them on the outside.
Be vigilant and watch each others back , they like to head up and can be stopped by a collar on a shirt too.
Long pants and collared shirts .........not really the fad but it helps.

Goshawk
06-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Thanks guys. Any Lime disease reported down there?

rred
06-18-2013, 10:47 AM
I was golfing just outside of Merritt last week and found a tick on my chest when I got home. Just picked it off. This was my first experience with them. Apparently their bad this year.

Singleshotneeded
06-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Thanks guys. Any Lime disease reported down there?

One guy I know of came down with that, he'd been camping around Merritt

Chody
07-11-2013, 12:30 PM
i heard a vinager water mix keep them off.

Mikey Rafiki
07-11-2013, 12:55 PM
They were horrible this year during the spring antler pickin' season. Had 3 on me after a short hike up the Elk Valley, then 6 or 7 on me after a 20 yard walk through the bush near Fairmont. I didn't notice those until I was driving down the highway and things got a little crazy.

After the first warm spell hits in June I haven't had any issues. Now it's just the skeeters.

I heard of one person that got the lyme disease in the Koots, apparently they didn't catch it and it caused some nervous system/brain issues. My buddy got the Rocky Mountain a couple years ago. Less than 1% of ticks carry these diseases but I don't take a lot of chances. Give myself a good buzz cut each spring, all over. The BCCDC tracks a lot of this stuff by region.

mungojeerie
07-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Never had a tick on me in my life from BC.... until this year.

Turkey hunting up reg 8 I found one embedded on my shin. Tried to do the touch it with a hot pin thing to get it to pull out... instead I overdid it and killed it haha. Pulled it out without issue though.

And then again up spring bear hunting in logan lake I ran my fingers through my hair for whatever reason and noticed something in my hair, picked it off, looked at it and yup... was a tick crawling around!

Yuck! haha