PDA

View Full Version : Mutual Of Omaha's, Wild Kingdom (circa 1954).

Mr. Dean
06-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Or my spin on it, anyways...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC5569_web_copy.jpg

coach
06-14-2013, 12:32 PM
very cool!

Weatherby Fan
06-14-2013, 12:41 PM
To cool, used to watch the show religiously !

biggyun68
06-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Me too! I watched it every Sunday morning very early with my sister. What was the old dude's name who was the host?

Weatherby Fan
06-14-2013, 12:45 PM
iirc Marlin Perkins and his sidekick Stan

Singleshotneeded
06-14-2013, 01:13 PM
I used to see insurance for Mutual of Omaha...disability for registered nurses was our big thing, lol...good show too!

kennyj
06-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Wow!!! Awesome bear, and very cool photo.
kenny

Frango
06-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Back in the early 70's I was doing some filming for Pan Arctic oil and the Canadian wildlife service on King Kristian island in the high arctic . The twin otter we were flying in tried to land on an old air strip and sunk into the mud breaking the props off. We were below a hill so our radio did not work. Being late to return a search was launched to find us. We were found after 12 hours a little cold and hungry. The wild kingdom crew heard about our mishap and suggested that we fly into their camp for a hot meal..We did and I got to meet Mr Perkins and his crew. They feed us steaks with lots of fixings. He was very nice. We exchanged some filming stories and had a very nice and unexpected visit.

tomahawk
06-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Back in the early 70's I was doing some filming for Pan Arctic oil and the Canadian wildlife service on King Kristian island in the high arctic . The twin otter we were flying in tried to land on an old air strip and sunk into the mud breaking the props off. We were below a hill so our radio did not work. Being late to return a search was launched to find us. We were found after 12 hours a little cold and hungry. The wild kingdom crew heard about our mishap and suggested that we fly into their camp for a hot meal..We did and I got to meet Mr Perkins and his crew. They feed us steaks with lots of fixings. He was very nice. We exchanged some filming stories and had a very nice and unexpected visit.

Now that is a cool experience!! although a little dicey when the plane bit the mud! Thanks for sharing such a unique experience!

rocksteady
06-14-2013, 06:11 PM
I like the way old Merlin used to fly around in the heli,, but his humble assistant "Jim" was out there trying to circumsize a friggin black rhino with a plastic spoon!

Mr. Dean
06-14-2013, 09:09 PM
I like the way old Merlin used to fly around in the heli,, but his humble assistant "Jim" was out there trying to circumsize a friggin black rhino with a plastic spoon! Good Times!

The show was a religion when I was a kid. Merl and Jimmy sure could create some antics.

quadrakid
06-15-2013, 06:13 AM
I watched that show when i was a kid and even as a kid felt their footage was too good to be true. They often had footage of two predators scrapping etc. Turns out they would throw animals behind a fence and film. CBC did an expose on it. After they confronted marlin and the cameras were turned off he up and punched the CBC dude,he was in his eighties then Feisty old bugger.

Blainer
06-15-2013, 07:12 AM
Or my spin on it, anyways...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC5569_web_copy.jpg
Book Bear!
I believe #1 taken in N.A, last year.
Fantastic retro photo

Mr. Dean
06-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Book Bear!
I believe #1 taken in N.A, last year.
Fantastic retro photo

Thanks Blainer!

I've heard several stories of this bear from different sources.

Some say it walked into camp and was shot.
Some say it was a Man-Killer that caused several deaths over the span of several years and a relative of its latest victim killed it.
Some say #1 in a particular region and some say in all of N. America.

And some say,,,,,, all of the above. :shock:
I say; One hell of a Bear!

Mr. Dean
06-17-2013, 10:48 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC5607_web_copy.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC5611_web_copy.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC5629_web_copy.jpg

skibum
06-17-2013, 10:57 AM
I am a bit young for this show when it was in its heyday - but did it not use to regularly set up film shoots? i.e. one I remember dropping a black bear off in the everglades and filling the "rescue" of it.

First "reality show" to get caught setting things up I guess.

Mr. Dean
06-17-2013, 11:12 AM
I am a bit young for this show when it was in its heyday - but did it not use to regularly set up film shoots? i.e. one I remember dropping a black bear off in the everglades and filling the "rescue" of it.

Anything on TV is set up or manipulated in some form or another - The only ones disappointed are those that don't understand that fact.
The series offered a lot of education to it's viewers.

Weatherby Fan
06-17-2013, 11:17 AM

Listen hear young fellar........don't go ruining a good story with the truth !
Between Walt Disney,Wild Kingdom and Saturday's Hockey Night in Canada these were all rituals in my house growing up so don't ruin my perfect childhood as my little peabrain remembers it !