PDA

View Full Version : Fed the seals

ratherbefishin
06-13-2013, 02:55 PM
too many dogfish for halibut so we tried for salmon off sooke this morning-theres a few fish coming in.Hit a nice one off secretary on the ebb tide but I fed the seal....I think retention is limited to 26 cm and clipped fin until the 15th.Still chokes me only a fraction of the hatchery fish are marked.

steel_ram
06-13-2013, 03:56 PM
It's hard to get volunteers to show up at the annual fin clipping work parties. Were you there? ;)

ratherbefishin
06-13-2013, 06:34 PM
no hatcheries where I live.I have doubts about preserving the ''wild'' stock anyway-put enough fish in the system[like they did south of the border] and we would have a thriving fishery[like they have]When about half of the berths in the marina are empty-you know people have given up and gone on to spend their money on other sports.Not too many people are going to shell out $300 plus for a charter just for the ''experiance''-they want a fish in the boat

t-rexer
06-13-2013, 07:12 PM
Went out on tues caught a20 and 12 lb spring out by sheringham point and a 25 lb halibut while trolling it was sweet!

Jim Prawn
06-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Time for someone to feed the Secretary Island Seal some lead. Oops did I say that out loud?
JP

t-rexer
06-14-2013, 07:56 AM
The 20lb spring I caught was a hatchery

06-14-2013, 08:28 AM
RBF,

Did you ever get into any Winters this season? It never really seemed to even start... Dad just stopped going. Went out 3-4 weeks ago,,, fished all day,,, not even a sniff.... Havent dont that in as long as i can remember. We have been skunked, but because we lost them or they were hitting short.... but not a sniff?

ratherbefishin
06-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Funny you mention that-We were just saying that the winters were really sparse this year,we started off ok in November,but there wasn't much after that.Generally the winter spring fishery is pretty consistent-but not this last year.We're going to give it another try on saturday,the retention changes on the 15th

06-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Thats good... well not really, but it does mean that Dad and I didnt loose it!
Dad Fishes out of Cheenah, and when the fshing is good he fishes about 1-2 times a week... he's retired.. he gave up fishing for winters and went prawning instead.

Hope the summer shapes up..

ratherbefishin
06-14-2013, 06:48 PM
way back we used to buzzbomb for winter springs right in Beecher Bay,tie up to the log booms and we did pretty good.Of course, way back then there was a really good coho fishery off Sooke in June ,second or third tide line out-that hasn't been the case for years

nor'wester
06-15-2013, 12:56 AM
were you guys copying the script from the rest of the coast or were you just talking about the san juan area?

ratherbefishin
06-15-2013, 05:32 AM
San Juan....but I've always wondered-what happened to that early Coho run?We used to run way out for them,not in close.Are the coho we catch no wild-or are they hatchery[clipped or unclipped] Are they American fish?

dogger
06-18-2013, 09:53 AM
Time for someone to feed the Secretary Island Seal some lead. Oops did I say that out loud?
JP
Seals are bad at Renfrew. Time to thin the herd. I did say that out loud.

06-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Flare guns.... lol they work.

Saw a guy in Barkley shooting at them with a flare gun. He was a guide i knew. Blew me away he was doing it.
I guess the seal had stripped him a couple times and he was having a hard day...

Slingshot and marbles is an easier less invasive solution

steel_ram
06-18-2013, 11:23 AM
I have witnessed seals 20 miles up the San Juan chasing and catching salmon and steelhead. A few seals in that canyon and nothing gets by.