PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to the Americans!!

Doublelung
06-12-2013, 05:09 AM
The columbians are on the outside like no other!! Been fishing the last five days. Biggest so far is 25. Yesterday on a quick trip landed 7, kept 4. Seems it doesn't matter what you put down they will bite it!! If your looking to catch a few head out the alberni inlet and drop a lure.

benttip
06-12-2013, 07:23 AM
you right out at the mouth

Weatherby Fan
06-12-2013, 07:31 AM
Just spent 8 days on the west side of the QC Islands and was pretty much the same, lots of Springs and it didn't matter weather trolling,dropping or mooching and on either tide you were catching them, but nothing over 25 lbs and mostly mid teens in weight.
Quite a few Coho showing up already also !
WF

Getbent
06-12-2013, 07:36 AM
we so need to get our $hit together...without the american hatch jobs....I dunno, pretty bleak.
Bamfield at the end of the month for a week...should be a gooder

harbinger
06-12-2013, 07:38 AM
hey, big time noob to the west coast fishing...what are you guys refering to? Americans?

pnbrock
06-12-2013, 07:40 AM
The fish they are catching are heading to the Columbia river. In america

Philcott
06-12-2013, 07:46 AM
American fish hatcheries are supported, Canadian hatcheries are not. Simple statement but to the point.

pnbrock
06-12-2013, 07:50 AM
Why do you say that Phil ?

Philcott
06-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Last I heard funding had been slashed by DFO to many hatcheries on our coast. IIRC they don't believe hatchery fish are the future of the fishery and believe they compete with wild stocks. I heard this at a meeting with DFO last fall discussing the allocation amounts.

I could be wrong and would like to know if I am. I don't want to be spreading false info.

Doublelung
06-12-2013, 09:06 AM
I was fishing Pill point, all the boats out there where nailing them.

MB_Boy
06-12-2013, 09:16 AM
11 days and I'll be thanking the 'Mericans out off Tofino.

xfactor
06-12-2013, 09:40 AM
I was fishing Pill point, all the boats out there where nailing them.

Doublelung, how long ago was that? any size?

tomahawk
06-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Chinook all over Barkley Sound right now, just got home, canned 72 jars, made 25 single size fillets and doing a 60 lb hali this afternoon. Some of the best fishin for a while out there right now. Monday morning 4 boats with 11 guys went out to fish the same spot and by 9am we were all limited out with 22 chinook from 10 to 25 lbs.

steel_ram
06-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Americans are taking down dams,(Elwah) and don't mind throwing spot closures on rivers to protect specific runs, regardless of cry babies. They have officers out in boats nailing fishermen breaking rules etc. Not some kid on the wharf with a clipboard.
Everything here has to be sent out to committee for review before permission is asked, and then enforcement is pathetic.

IronNoggin
06-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Last I heard funding had been slashed by DFO to many hatcheries on our coast. IIRC they don't believe hatchery fish are the future of the fishery and believe they compete with wild stocks. I heard this at a meeting with DFO last fall discussing the allocation amounts.

I could be wrong and would like to know if I am. I don't want to be spreading false info.

You are not wrong Phil. Toss in a little "politics" and you've pretty well summed things up.

Several problems with that way of thinking:

- In order to see the "wild" stocks rebound, a LOT of emphasis must be placed on habitat constrictions - unfortunately no money and no interest in doing so it seems.

- Catch rates on the "wild" stocks would also have to be reduced. Commercial trolling has been throttled back to the point it is damn near non-existent. Bag fleets still have questionable openings, and FN's... well... enough said there.
By-catch numbers in the US pollock fleet are staggering, and only lip-service being paid to doing anything about it.

- Facing all the competition for food and space from both hatchery produced salmon (Lower 48) and "ranched" salmon (Alaska, Russia, Japan) the vast majority of our "wild" stocks simply cannot keep up with their already depressed numbers.

- And of course the fish Farm implications...

Without some SERIOUS and Focused Effort, the mindset you have described is doomed to Failure. And I simply do not see anyone in the Canadian Gov even slightly interested in doing anything positive. The mindset simply appears to be roll back the hatcheries, and hope for the best with those few "wild" ones that remain.

So, for now, count your blessings the US is doing what is does. Their production provides ~ 80% of our local opportunities at this point, and that will likely increase with time...

The Offshore is producing quite well to Ladz! Time to go and collect a few of those American Immigrants! :-D

Cheers,
Nog

Doublelung
06-12-2013, 02:53 PM
I fished yesterday, June 11.

elksmasher
06-12-2013, 03:53 PM
We used to call them "footballs"short n fat.

The Hermit
06-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Wish I had read this thread yesterday... I'm in Tofino right now and thought things were supposed to be slow. My brother-in-law was out here a couple weeks ago and it sucked, one 12 pounder in two days

Doublelung
06-25-2013, 11:12 AM
So the fish have moved out slightly, Austin, Sail, Cree are still producing but Pill and Vernon are slower as of yesterday. I will try to update this as I find the fish or get a report in.

Sofa King
06-26-2013, 12:57 AM
how's the inside?

i have an offer to go down for the weekend.
free trip, brother's boat is at pt. mcneil.
he was out this past weekend and got cod and salmon and other shit.
is the inside getting the influx as much as the west coast?

Doublelung
07-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Sockeye fishing is still slow. Springs are still around. Went for a quick run to Pill with the old man and my daughter. Nailed three springs(22-14-12). Would have had more but the old man was on a roll with his live release.