PDA

View Full Version : Dream Grizzly Hunt

Rattler
06-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Well I managed to fill my Kootenay Grizz draw this year. Growing up in the Kootenays I have always wanted to take a good mature Grizzly and ideally it would be dark brown with silver tip. I have seen many over the years, mostly in the alpine and just started putting in again for Grizzly after a 16 year break (school and young family). This was my third Grizz draw and second one for this MU, so I knew where to go, just needed to put the time in. My goal was to take a mature boar, minimum 6.5' bear on the carcass.

Things were looking good this spring as we received a normal snowfall and we have had some really hot weather in early May, which melted a ton of snow. I told myself I wasn't going to start hunting them until the middle of May mainly because of costs ($1.42/l gas) and other time commitments.

May 17th I headed out with my G-bear partner for a day trip and put in a long day with no luck. Very little sign was found and we only saw one black bear. Day two I head out with another friend to spot where I was told a Grizzly was spotted and sure enough we get there and the bear was right at the bottom of the slide. After glassing him for a few minutes we figured he was around a 6' bear, which was close to a shooter for me. We were pretty certain it was a boar and he did have a good sized head on him with small ears. As we were watching him I quickly looked at my Back Country roads book and to my surprise this slide was just outside my MU by 200m. As usual the bear fed into some thick alders was wasn't seen again. We decided to go try another spot for the remainder of the day.

After a long quad ride and a 4km hike in we set up on a couple of nice slides. I was only there for maybe 45min and looked behind me and there was a Grizz slowly feeding towards me at 210yds. A quick glass confirmed this was not a shooter bear. He had narrow shoulders, bigger ears and appeared leggy. I decided to let him go, although he did tempt me because it had a beautiful hide. I managed to get a couple of pics, but unfortunately he had walked into the alders.

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo218/Teika2001/2013%20Grizz%20Hunt/DSC04793_zpse5161c45.jpg

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo218/Teika2001/2013%20Grizz%20Hunt/DSC04795_zps86edf81e.jpg

He eventually winded me and quickly vacated the slide. My partner and I decided to hunt back to the trucks and time permitting give that other bear we saw in the am another look, hoping it was in my MU.

We managed to get back to the slide with 20 or so minutes left of light and sure enough he was there again. Both my partner and I thought he looked bigger. I must say of all the big game I have hunted, bears are the most deceiving animals to judge. He unfortunately wasn't in my zone, so I took some pics through the spotter, all the while my partner was saying I sure hope that book is right. The next morning I got up and checked my BC Rec Atlas and to my horror that bear was in my MU!!! The Back Country Road book MU mapping was out 1.2km! I no longer have this book and suggest to all other hunters to not rely on this book for MU boundaries. Some pics of him:

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo218/Teika2001/2013%20Grizz%20Hunt/DSC04808_zpsf231d7cd.jpg

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo218/Teika2001/2013%20Grizz%20Hunt/DSC04809_zpsf581b39c.jpg

Live to Hunt...

Wild Images
06-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Was ( partner ) Bait-Boy ( Brambles ) ???

Congrats Ken, looking forward to the rest of the story :mrgreen:

358mag
06-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Well fire up the popcorn machine grab a few cold happy pops and wait for the rest of this adventure .Bring it on ......

BCbillies
06-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Keep it going! I'll be up late tonight but try and wrap it up by 1 am. :)

REMINGTON JIM
06-09-2013, 07:47 PM
HMM ! Waiting :-D LOL RJ

Rattler
06-09-2013, 08:26 PM
The following weekend after May long I went back to slide on the border of my MU with Brambles to look for that Grizzly, but he was nowhere to be seen. Brambles and I tracked a decent bear for 4+km in another area, but never caught up to him. I did end up seeing that Grizz on the border of my MU (dead in a pickup) and he was a 6' bear. I congratulated the hunter who was really excited and had a good bs with him and his partner.

Other commitments kept me at home for the first weekend in June, but plans were made for a 4 day camp hunt starting on Wednesday. We arrived at our camp spot shortly before 9:00 am and had camp set up by 10:00. We hunted hard all day with no G-bear sightings and very little sign observed. Did see a really nice chocolate brown black bear, but he was too far away. The next morning we hunted the same area because it just looked too good and again no G bears spotted. I decided we needed to change things up and hunt a different area for the afternoon.

We busted our way through the thick alders on our ATVs and hiked in to the slide where I passed on the G-bear a couple of weeks back. We weren't there an hour before I spotted a Grizz at the back of the slide. He was moving in and out of the alders and eventually disappeared. The wind was terrible, so we thought he might of winded us. After 10 minutes he showed up and worked his way into a small opening where I could see him clearly. He had a beautiful hide but unfortunately wasn't what I was looking for. This bear eventually fed in front of us at 100yards and I managed to get a couple pics before he winded us.

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo218/Teika2001/DSC04818_zpse64325c5.jpg

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo218/Teika2001/DSC04819_zps47f46420.jpg

Rattler
06-09-2013, 09:06 PM
Well after passing that bear up I thought the night was over because after all I felt it was served up on a platter there for me..lol My partner and I decided to stay until 8:00 and hunt our way out. The wind was terrible again and I said if a bear was going to come out it has to come out in an opening above us. After 20 minutes we decided that the wind was just too bad and we started to pack up. I just stood up and swung my pack over my shoulder when I spotted another Grizz in the spot they needed to come out. "Mcrae there is another Grizzly right here at 125 yards". I quickly sat down and glassed it and determined it was a sow and she was looking back and running up the slide. I said there is something coming when when out of the alders comes a big black Grizzly dwarfing the sow in size. Wow was the only ting running through my mind. Mcrae said "look at the melon on that bear". I settled in behind my 300 Win Mag and asked Mcrae if this was a shooter and he said yes. The bear was quartering away at 125 yards dogging the sow when I squeezed the trigger. The bear never knew what hit him and he flopped to the ground moved slightly and never moved for another 15 minutes. I couldn't believe what just transpired and in less than 20 seconds.

We gathered our gear and headed down. Just one obstacle in front of us and that was a river. Earlier I glassed the river and thought that is strange I can't see bottom anymore.....well all the warm weather had probably doubled the river volume. We couldn't cross where I planned and moved upstream. We finally found a decent spot to cross and we started in and things were okay until I reached the middle when the river went up to my waist. I nearly lost my balance and managed to scramble to the far bank.

We made our way over to the bear and I was pleasantly surprised at the size of him. There was no ground shrinkage here at all. When the bear died he fell into a hole, which made him appear small from where I shot from. Three hours later I skinned him out for a life size. It is now midnight and all I could think of was crossing that river in the dark. Loaded up we scambled back to our crossing spot which we never ribboned and got lucky finding it in the pitch black. I started across at knee deep probing with my hiking pole when I hit the middle and it reached my waist. I nearly lost my balance because the current was really fast. We both managed to scramble to the far bank and I breathed a big sigh of relief. We got back to our trucks at 2:00am had a few celebratory pops and went to bed at 4:00am.

He measured 6"8" on the carcass and skull goes 22 4/8. Super happy with this bear and look forward to lifesizing him...

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo218/Teika2001/2013%20Grizz%20Hunt/P6070407_zpsd2e18a41.jpg

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo218/Teika2001/2013%20Grizz%20Hunt/P6070420_zps8c582590.jpg

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo218/Teika2001/2013%20Grizz%20Hunt/P6070421_zpsf77e9fc0.jpg

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo218/Teika2001/2013%20Grizz%20Hunt/P6070414_zps6152dd60.jpg

Lillypuff
06-09-2013, 09:08 PM
great job thanks posting

BCbillies
06-09-2013, 09:11 PM
On the first photo on post #6, 1 o'clock to that sow looks like a good boar in the brush! You picky? :wink: Now I see the next post with a bear down . . . beauty! Congrats. Now you've got one up on the grizzlies.

coach
06-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Outstanding story and pictures. Thanks for taking us along for the ride. Congrats on a great looking bear.

mcrae
06-09-2013, 09:17 PM
It was an awesome hunt buddy I am really happy it all came together for you! What no pictures of my red neck head lamp LOL...

Wullfen
06-09-2013, 09:33 PM
That's awesome!

HarryToolips
06-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Congrats what mitts on that boy man i'd suck to be hit by them claws..

Rackmastr
06-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Awesome bear congrats!!!! Man oh man I love them bears!

Side note, you said you don't have your Bc Backroads map book but checked your Rec Atlas. Is that a more definite way to find MU boundaries, terrain, etc? I may have to look into that.

Sitkaspruce
06-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Awesome bear Ken!!!!!

Congrats a great Interior grizz!!

Thanks for bring us along

Cheers

SS

todbartell
06-09-2013, 09:45 PM
good job boys, beauty bruin

chilcotin hillbilly
06-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Nice bear good job, boys

ydouask
06-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Well done Ken. We knew you would hold out for a dandy G Bear. You've sure made us proud once again...great story of persistence and knowledge. Thanks for your help Jason, btw, have you applied for a patent on your hat??? Dad.

moosinaround
06-09-2013, 09:50 PM
Nice bruin for sure!! Congrats!!!

Congrats what mitts on that boy man i'd suck to be hit by them claws..
with a handle like Harrytoolips, I bet you'd suck!!;)

Moosin

Rattler
06-09-2013, 10:22 PM
On the first photo on post #6, 1 o'clock to that sow looks like a good boar in the brush! You picky? :wink: Now I see the next post with a bear down . . . beauty! Congrats. Now you've got one up on the grizzlies.

Yeah I figured someone would wonder why I passed on that bear, but the pictures make it larger than it really was... I estimate that bear was maybe 5.5' bear at most and most likely a 4-5 yr old boar. Did have a beautiful hide though...

Rattler
06-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Awesome bear congrats!!!! Man oh man I love them bears!

Side note, you said you don't have your Bc Backroads map book but checked your Rec Atlas. Is that a more definite way to find MU boundaries, terrain, etc? I may have to look into that.

The Hunting Reg's state to use the Rec Atlas. I picked up the BC Back Country Roads book because it had updated maps/roads. Also there are Google MU boundaries and they are wrong as well.

BCbillies
06-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Yeah I figured someone would wonder why I passed on that bear, but the pictures make it larger than it really was... I estimate that bear was maybe 5.5' bear at most and most likely a 4-5 yr old boar. Did have a beautiful hide though...
I was referring to the stump or something dark behind that small bear!
btw - Those river crossings are some nasty . . . just about lost it on a sheep hunt with all my gear. Could been a disaster.

decker9
06-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Beauty bear and great read! congrats!!

BCrams
06-09-2013, 10:46 PM
Great story and great bear Ken! The bear is a beauty and will be a great addition to your house!!

kootenayelkslayer
06-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Awesome Ken, what a beauty! Congrats, I'm very jealous.

BlacktailStalker
06-09-2013, 11:24 PM
Right on sounds like some good action, congrats on a beauty bear.

The Hermit
06-09-2013, 11:42 PM
Awesome... a little retribution having him stuffed? Having that bad boy life-sized in the house will give you the shivers! LOL

pescado
06-10-2013, 12:23 AM
Well done.....nice read and a very nice bear

Mik
06-10-2013, 01:59 AM
Great lookin Gbear, congrats on your long awaited hunt

hunter1947
06-10-2013, 02:55 AM
Great wright up as for your pictures you and your partner did very well on getting this dream grizzly bear thanks for taking us members along on your dream bear hunt ,,congrats to the both of you ,,,did you feel a little revenge when you shot this bear ???.

Rattler
06-10-2013, 07:01 AM
Great wright up as for your pictures you and your partner did very well on getting this dream grizzly bear thanks for taking us members along on your dream bear hunt ,,congrats to the both of you ,,,did you feel a little revenge when you shot this bear ???.

Thanks for the nice comments Wayne and as for the revenge feeling I did not have that what so ever. Our incident with the G bear in the EK was bad luck. I may have felt different if I killed the same bear that attacked us in the tent though....

Ride
06-10-2013, 07:14 AM
Beauty bear Ken! Congrats to you.

Weatherby Fan
06-10-2013, 07:21 AM
Great story,pictures and an awesome bear, the size of their claws never cease to amaze me.
Thanks for sharing your hunt.
WF

ElliotMoose
06-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Awesome bear, good lookin coat! Congrats fellas

Rackmastr
06-10-2013, 08:18 AM
The Hunting Reg's state to use the Rec Atlas. I picked up the BC Back Country Roads book because it had updated maps/roads. Also there are Google MU boundaries and they are wrong as well.

Ah interesting....I didnt realize that! Thanks.

Philcott
06-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Rattler, nice bear and great story.

Can you describe what would be a safe and smart way to cross one of those mountain creeks? I've never had to do it so I'm just curious what experienced people do. Do you strip down and take of your boots to keep them dry or just plow right through and have wet stuff to wear? Do you tie off, just in case?

whitetailsheds
06-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Very nice.....congrats!! Thanks for posting!!!

fester
06-10-2013, 09:11 AM
good work!!!!

Jelvis
06-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Nice big bear brah, you guys did good, using persistence and guts, way to go hunters.
Jelly

Stone Sheep Steve
06-10-2013, 09:26 AM
That's a great interior grizz, Ken! Congrats!:cool:
He's going to make a beauty life-size!

Maybe one day...................

SSS

srupp
06-10-2013, 09:44 AM
hmmm..very nice bear guys...great job of sticking to it..funny when you least expect it..all those hours of glassing and boredom end abruptly and its game on...looks like it will make a most excellent life size memory...congradulations.

Also to your hunting partner...kinda rare to get guys to go feed the bugs and put themselves through a series of physical fitness exams daily to go after a dangerous big game animal so his partner can put it on his wall or stand on his floor in this case...that is true friendship and another aspect of hunting I admire

Well done gentlemen.

cheers

Steven

hunterdon
06-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Great write up and awesome pics. Sure is nice to see a couple of hunters err on the side of legal and even nicer to see them rewarded as a result of doing so. A bigger bear! You make us all proud. Congratulations and thanks!!!

d6dan
06-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Well done Rattler.:-D Great write up and Super G bear. Congrats.

Ambush
06-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Very nice. Very, very nice!

Congratulations. Great to see draws getting used and especially on such a fantastic bear.

I don't think a lot of people realize how good a bear that is for the interior.

Rattler
06-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Rattler, nice bear and great story.

Can you describe what would be a safe and smart way to cross one of those mountain creeks? I've never had to do it so I'm just curious what experienced people do. Do you strip down and take of your boots to keep them dry or just plow right through and have wet stuff to wear? Do you tie off, just in case?

The safest way is to find a tree that spans across the river and is above water, so it is not slippery. Failing that then I recommend using rope, which I had at my quad..doh!. One guy goes across with rope and ties off on a good tree/anchor point. Then your partner can come across safely and more importantly when your loaded you can have the rope to hold on to. One other important thing to remember as Brambles pointed out to me, is that we should have had our hip belts on our packs undone in the event we slipped and fell one could easily get out of their pack.

If your crossing the river and plan to be back in camp where you can dry your clothes and boots out such as the case for us, then I recommend crossing the river with your boots on. Having boots on also helps with your footing because creek channels are slippery. I couldn't imagine crossing a river with bare feet...I would fall for sure...have a hard enough time walking barefoot in my driveway...lol.

If you are not going to be somewhere where you can dry clothes and boots then I recommend using flip flops or runners for crossing rivers. I would even recommend putting felt on the bottom for extra grip. Suggest wearing shorts or rain pants instead of your regular hunting pants because they will dry out faster.

Brambles
06-10-2013, 07:13 PM
hmmm..very nice bear guys...great job of sticking to it..funny when you least expect it..all those hours of glassing and boredom end abruptly and its game on...looks like it will make a most excellent life size memory...congradulations.

Also to your hunting partner...kinda rare to get guys to go feed the bugs and put themselves through a series of physical fitness exams daily to go after a dangerous big game animal so his partner can put it on his wall or stand on his floor in this case...that is true friendship and another aspect of hunting I admire

Well done gentlemen.

cheers

Steven

Mcrae is one of those weird guys that LOVES to hunt bear..... Guy actually takes holidays to black bear hunt. All kidding aside, he's the kind of guy that will give you the shirt off his back and always willing to help anytime you need a hand.

Good job Ken on a great bear, sorry I missed out on such a memorable hunt. Still had to get my knife dirty with grizz blood but still not the same!

REMINGTON JIM
06-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Congrarts on a VERY nice bear ther Rattler ! Job well done too ! :-D RJ

gbear
06-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Nice bear, congrats!

BiG Boar
06-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Awesome story and bear. A great read. Thanks for the post.

Rattler
06-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Mcrae is one of those weird guys that LOVES to hunt bear..... Guy actually takes holidays to black bear hunt. All kidding aside, he's the kind of guy that will give you the shirt off his back and always willing to help anytime you need a hand.

Good job Ken on a great bear, sorry I missed out on such a memorable hunt. Still had to get my knife dirty with grizz blood but still not the same!

A big thanks goes to Mcrae for helping me get this Grizz - I couldn't have done it without him. He endured some god awful bush, scary as hell quad ride/river crossing to help me get this bear. Without a doubt he hunted outside his comfort zone and I commend him for that...

Look forward to helping you get your Grizz Mcrae. You too Jeff if you can find some time in the spring...

gerrygoat
06-10-2013, 09:20 PM
That's a great looking bear, congrats.

kennyj
06-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Very nice!!! Great story and great bear.
kenny

ElectricDyck
06-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Awesome bear! Thanks for sharing the hunt!

BearSupreme
06-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Amazing bear! Thanks for the story and pictures!<br>

44inchStone
06-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Awsome bear and a BIG congrats for a for a job well done and for not falling in the river :)

Wild Images
06-11-2013, 06:36 AM
Sweet bear Ken, make sure to show us the final product when the mount is done !!

trigger
06-11-2013, 07:16 AM
Awesome story , awesome grizzly. Congrats to you on a very fine bear.
What pose are you thinking for a life size?

06-11-2013, 09:24 AM
Great bear! He will make a spectacular full-mount.

Rattler
06-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Awesome story , awesome grizzly. Congrats to you on a very fine bear.
What pose are you thinking for a life size?

Thinking of him walking up a rock with a right turn.

riflebuilder
06-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Great Bear congrats...hope to get a draw this fall for griz.