PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Cottontail for stew...

Josethesiningfish
06-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Hello fellow hunters,

I have been curious on making a bunny stew and need to get me some bunny. I have never eaten eastern cottontail, so this would be the my first time going after them. Could any of you be so kind as to sharing a few general directions on where should I be setting my sights. I know snowshoe is an the beginning of August.

your knowledge, comments and recipes are welcome,

Also along the way any mushroom foragers on the forum???

Jo. :-D

gcreek
06-09-2013, 07:21 AM
Why not just adopt a few UBC bunnies from the SPCA?

BCKyle
06-09-2013, 07:27 AM
I've been looking myself; looking forward to trying some hare this year. I have found a ccouple tiny areas in neighbouring hills. It's easiest when there is some snow on the ground because you track down their travelling/living areas with a lot less work. Mmm stew! Good luck

Peter Pepper
06-09-2013, 08:36 AM
ate one couple weeks ago. roast 'em fry 'em stew 'em. age in fridge for 2 days first. very good to eat. easy to clean, good target practice. NBL .22 subsonic to the head is best. however my last one was buckshot to the knees :-?. took lower legs right off. no meat damage.

adriaticum
06-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Youtube is your friend!

yamadirt 426
06-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Ive ate 4 last year and 3 this year so far. I target these guys almost once a week from the second week after duck closes to sept 1. Find the brambles and get a dog if your into this type of hunting. Ive got recent pics in the dog forum under Maters thread in the last page.

Panic
06-09-2013, 12:13 PM
There's a rule for Bunny hunting....You don't hunt Rabbit in the months without an "R" in it. May, June, July and August are the breeding/weaning months...Chances are most rabbits you bag during this time will be pregnant females.

yamadirt 426
06-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Ya that would not be cool to get a pregnant female.

new hunter
06-09-2013, 01:35 PM
look for rabits in the early morning and late afternoon twilight .
They seem to like the same sort of cover as grouse . They spook easy and bolt for cover so I have found my scattergun to be most effective , usually shooting #4 steel trap loads and usually at a range of 30 to 70ft.
Ive found them a bit tough so I like to slow stew them for a few hours till the meat falls of the bone , then I shred it like pulled pork , cook it with potatoes , carrots and onions , seasoned lightly ( garlic and salt ) and thicken slightly with a bit of flour.
Real nice with a bit of bourbon after a cold day of looking for blacktails .

wicket
06-09-2013, 02:26 PM
seeing how i live in s ont thats all i have access to besides jackrabbits which i dont shoot. i like simple...i boil them then fry in chrisco until brown salt and pepper...easy peasy.... another way but more work is to make a rabbit pie...brown rabbit chunks make a white gravy, add carrots and a few peas with some chunked potato put in pie crust and bake...some kind of good. i never start shooting them until november here...ive seen baby bunnies in september hopping around i also only shoot them in the head with subsonic cbs mainly cause i dont like pellets, and its not practical to shoot long rifle bullets where i live.

Josethesiningfish
06-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Thank all so much for your comments and advise. I will try your recipes and will let you know how the hunting go in September.

regards,

jo