PDA

View Full Version : training for goat

DLP
06-08-2013, 12:15 AM
i've been training early for goat hunting this fall. twice a month i ride from downtown tp the base of grouse with my 20-30lbs hunting pack. then i lock up bike and do the grind (actual bp just beside it, harder, no stairs). then i hike back down and ride back home. it will be my first time hunting goat. hoping the ~1500M elevation gain in 2hrs will be far more than i will have to do on a typical day for goat. any input? the area i am going to hunt has no truck access but is pretty close to camp.

Amphibious
06-08-2013, 03:44 AM
Get used to traversing ground that will require you to use all four limbs to ascend. Carrying a pack up a groomed trail would have been a dream on any of the spots i've chased goat. Grouse is awful gentle for goat country, but you're doing it right and getting those legs in shape ahead of time. Don't forget the most important part: decision making. Just because you can shoot and kill Mr. Billy, doesn't mean he's in a place you can retrieve him safely. Good Luck!

Brez
06-08-2013, 07:13 AM
Depending on where you are going for goats, take elevation into consideration. If you are going to be hunting 6000' and higher, you will really notice tht your lungs are struggling. Slow and steady will be the key.

The Silent Stalker
06-08-2013, 07:20 AM
Im in the same boat, was starting to train with thoughts of Billies in my head but last week I had an appendix episode and had to have it removed. Now I'm 2 weeks off training to try and heal well. I had been planning on doing the same thing, hike with my pack to get used to it. My plan is hit my hunting area twice in June and twice in August hoping I'll be well adjusted to it for the real trip. Good luck with your adventure, it's really already started.

Jim Prawn
06-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Keep it up you'll be fine. Get hiking poles if you dont already, turns you into 4 wheel drive plus helps a lot with balance on the steep hills. Dont forget to train your liver for the celebration as well! Good luck.
JP

604redneck
06-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Get one of those masks they sell that duplicates elevations and train with that lol

Sitkaspruce
06-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Obviously wear the boots you would wear goat hunting, the same pack, make sure you do as much down hill as up hill as I found it harder on me with 100 lbs and going down hill that up. Do lots of sidehilling to get those ankles used to it and to also see if you boots will hold up. Some boots are good but will start to fail when wet and side hilling. Get a good gun bearer and practice carring it with your gear.

Some if the hardest terrain for goats will atctually be in the timber, where the slide alder/willow will try their best to slow you down and work for every foot.

Good luck

Cheers

SS

DLP
06-08-2013, 02:27 PM
good points. i am packing my boots up in the same pack i use hunting. and yes i do vary my hike to side hill. yesterday i went downhill for the first time, it is much harder of course.

is it ok to go climb the actual area where the goats are before huntin season? i want to scope it out but i dont want to drive them away...

Sitkaspruce
06-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Getting a lay of the land and scouting is Ok for goats, just don't do it too often and never ever get above them. A big billy is no different than other big game, they did not get big by being stupid. I have usually hiked until I get to tree line so I know the route and terrain and what to expect. I usually hike to a point where I can look at the range I am going to hunt with optics. Most of the areas I hunted I could see a lot of the area from other sub alpine points that did not hold goats.

Another tip is to pack your pack as if you were going to head out and do hike with everything to see how it all fits and to ensure you have enough room for the goat meat.

Cheers

SS

lorneparker1
06-08-2013, 05:10 PM
good points. i am packing my boots up in the same pack i use hunting. and yes i do vary my hike to side hill. yesterday i went downhill for the first time, it is much harder of course.

is it ok to go climb the actual area where the goats are before huntin season? i want to scope it out but i dont want to drive them away...

Get hiking poles and down hill is 1000 times easier.

Lorne

Fella
06-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Do cardio exercises that will increase the efficiency of your body in terms of oxygen uptake in the blood. The better your body absorbs oxygen the better it will function at higher altitudes. Look up HIIT training and do 1 or two long runs per week. Or you can do what my uncle did in the 70's when he shot his sheep and goats and drink a lot and eat hamburgers.

longstonec
06-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Do cardio exercises that will increase the efficiency of your body in terms of oxygen uptake in the blood. The better your body absorbs oxygen the better it will function at higher altitudes. Look up HIIT training and do 1 or two long runs per week. Or you can do what my uncle did in the 70's when he shot his sheep and goats and drink a lot and eat hamburgers.

I will do what your uncle did. seems like the best training plan for me! on my way already!

Fella
06-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Well he couldn't have been too wrong judging by the 6 massive sheep he has on the wall...

geoskier
06-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track. Pretty sure you will be fine. If you can run 10km without being useless the next day (most North Americans can't), you should be fine on the physical side. The mental side is another story. Doing some bush wacking through devils club ect... would be good prep for that.

rcar
06-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Sounds like your conditioning won't be an issue. One thing to remember is to sight in your rifle at or near the elevation you will be hunting. A 200-300yd shot is a good possibility and the trajectory of your bullet will be quite a bit different over that distance up 6000', if you have sighted it in at sea level. If you are new to mountain hunting, spend time going over high angle shooting as well so you understand actual distances.

Good luck on your hunt. Mountain Goat is an amazing hunt!

Manitoba_Redneck
06-12-2013, 10:14 PM
I'd suggest incorporating a couple long distance hikes into your routine. Go for a hike of 8 to 10 km, you'll find hot spots in your boots that you didn't notice before, you may also find out your hips, ankles or knees need more attention before you get out in the field. Everyone can walk for a couple hours with little problem, turn that into 5 or 6 hours of walking, not a lot of people walk that long.

Mountain Hunter
06-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Sounds like your physical condition should be fine. I am in agreement with the "bushwacking" training, move slowly and methodically up steep ground through relatively thick bush. Then you can't go wrong as far as your conditioning, then it all depends on the possibility of what the goats see coming up the mountain....oh yea, get ready for some steep sidehilling too!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC06096_800x600_.jpg

decker9
06-13-2013, 07:14 AM
Like has been mentioned, get into some blowdown/devils club/alders, then it won't catch you by suprise on your hunt ( think thats what detours alot of first time goat hunters) it's below timberline that Iv found the toughest. Work of your side hilling for above timberline, and going down hill with a heavy pack, that's another that Iv always had a hard time with, bad knee! Good luck this goat season!!

bighornbob
06-13-2013, 09:28 AM
i've been training early for goat hunting this fall. twice a month i ride from downtown tp the base of grouse with my 20-30lbs hunting pack. then i lock up bike and do the grind (actual bp just beside it, harder, no stairs). then i hike back down and ride back home. it will be my first time hunting goat. hoping the ~1500M elevation gain in 2hrs will be far more than i will have to do on a typical day for goat. any input? the area i am going to hunt has no truck access but is pretty close to camp.
I don't know if its me but training only two times a month is not enough. Not sure if you are doing other stuff as well or the two times a month is just to start and you will increase the climbs. Its great that you are actually hiking hills with a pack and boots as opposed to a stair climber, but you are taking about 10 days of rest between climbs. This will not happen on a goat hunt. You will most likely be climbing everyday so your body should be used to that with minimal recovery in-between. BHB

604redneck
06-13-2013, 09:43 AM
This also depends on the guys age......I'm 28 and I don't train at all too hunt but am physically active all year playing sports and at work

geoskier
06-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Where you plan on goat hunting has a lot to do with it too. I shot a goat last fall and within spotting it from my truck, it was back to the truck in 2.5 hours...

You don't have to be super fit to be a mountain hunter. For the 100lbs overweight hunter that is used to road hunting with a bud in hand, it would be a stretch. For someone that is in fairly good shape, it is mostly the mental game that remains to be tested.

One other note; always make sure to keep your water bottles full. You never know when it will be the last creek on the way up.

604redneck
06-14-2013, 01:43 AM
Where you plan on goat hunting has a lot to do with it too. I shot a goat last fall and within spotting it from my truck, it was back to the truck in 2.5 hours...

You don't have to be super fit to be a mountain hunter. For the 100lbs overweight hunter that is used to road hunting with a bud in hand, it would be a stretch. For someone that is in fairly good shape, it is mostly the mental game that remains to be tested.

One other note; always make sure to keep your water bottles full. You never know when it will be the last creek on the way up.
now this is the truth especially the water part

squamishhunter
06-14-2013, 05:24 AM
Since its training; fill your pack with a large hydration pack/wine bags w/h2O and dump it when you top out, it's better for your knees on the way down.