PDA

View Full Version : Bear Hunting in West Kootenay area

DPreece
06-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Hello,

I'm new to the Kootenays (from Vancouver) and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with black bears in the area this season? I would like to get out there and get one before the end of the season (June 30th), so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DP

Grizz59
06-07-2013, 09:06 PM
where do you live

DPreece
06-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Im in Trail BC. Yourself?

where do you live

Hodaka
06-10-2013, 10:44 AM
I'm in Nelson. I passed on a couple smaller ones early in the season, and a big one as well due to circumstances.
I would suggest the Paulson summit area - saw a few up there when I was travelling through a couple weeks back.

DPreece
06-10-2013, 11:04 AM
We were up in the slocan area up high on the mountain tops and down low and didnt see any a few weekends ago. Saw some droppings, but nothing else. What kind of vehicle would you need to go where you're suggesting? That's my problem, I have all the gear, but not a great hunting vehicle, so I rely on when my coworkers go out.

Hodaka
06-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Won't need much of anything special, but a truck would be recommended if you're going to bring an animal out. Paulson summit is the main highway going east to Christina Lake/Grand Forks, and a lot of the logging roads off the highway are 2WD friendly. I even hunt a bit in my Subaru Legacy wagon.

DPreece
06-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Thanks, I'll try to check that area out if I don't see anything this weekend.

Won't need much of anything special, but a truck would be recommended if you're going to bring an animal out. Paulson summit is the main highway going east to Christina Lake/Grand Forks, and a lot of the logging roads off the highway are 2WD friendly. I even hunt a bit in my Subaru Legacy wagon.

Mark_S
06-10-2013, 06:40 PM
I agree the Paulson summit will be a good spot for you to check out and most of it will be pretty 2wd friendly.

DPreece
06-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Thanks Mark

It'll be nice to get out in September when I'm not just limited to bears.

Has anyone got one in this area yet this season?

I agree the Paulson summit will be a good spot for you to check out and most of it will be pretty 2wd friendly.

DPreece
06-11-2013, 01:02 PM
And of course my wife just saw one walking across the main road through rossland... Everyone but me :(. Lol. Likely a garbage bear, but still.

DPreece
06-11-2013, 01:03 PM
44224422Brown bear walking across the road in Rossland today :S

markt308
06-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Mr Preece is into hunting eh?? welcome to the HBC. You live in a prime black bear area dude. Get out there and drive/walk and glass anything and everything that looks like it could be an animal. They are there, and yes loads have been shot aleady and dozens more will be shot before seasons end. The peak of spring bb season is right now. Put your time in and you will see some bears.
If you're having trouble spotting them just keep going. Hunting is all about patience and perseverance. Keep at it, let us know how it goes! cheers

604redneck
06-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Mr Preece is into hunting eh?? welcome to the HBC. You live in a prime black bear area dude. Get out there and drive/walk and glass anything and everything that looks like it could be an animal. They are there, and yes loads have been shot aleady and dozens more will be shot before seasons end. The peak of spring bb season is right now. Put your time in and you will see some bears.
If you're having trouble spotting them just keep going. Hunting is all about patience and perseverance. Keep at it, let us know how it goes! cheers
As always some great advice from you.
He is very right, this is prime time but they are looking for sows so keep putting the miles on and you will put one on the ground.

DPreece
06-11-2013, 01:47 PM
While we're on the subject, just in case, can anyone recommend a good butcher and/or taxidermist in my area (Trail BC)

Hodaka
06-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Hmm, looks like he's going for coffee and snacks at Alpine Grind.

SPEYMAN
06-12-2013, 10:25 PM
All black bears are garbage bears.

elksmasher
06-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Gaslines,powerlines,Grass and Clover,Late evening.

motosuccubus
06-15-2013, 10:38 AM
I'm newly moved to the west kootenays as well and hoping to get a bear before the end of the season. Saw a nice medium sized one up behind my house the other day but am uncertain as to whether my .243 is enough to kill it. I've had conflicting information and the last thing I want to do is wound something out of shear stupidity....

Good luck on your hunt and be sure to post up if you get one!

Dare
06-15-2013, 11:32 AM
I would add that the bears here see a lot of traffic so it's really helpful to walk sections of road with bear sign. I haven't got one yet but I've passed on three so far. There's lots out there good luck.

chilcotin hillbilly
06-15-2013, 09:47 PM
I'm newly moved to the west kootenays as well and hoping to get a bear before the end of the season. Saw a nice medium sized one up behind my house the other day but am uncertain as to whether my .243 is enough to kill it. I've had conflicting information and the last thing I want to do is wound something out of shear stupidity....

Good luck on your hunt and be sure to post up if you get one!

Your 243 is fine shot placement is key. I am not sure if you are joking about that or not . If you are serious, a word of wisdom, don't believe everything you hear.

motosuccubus
06-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Your 243 is fine shot placement is key. I am not sure if you are joking about that or not . If you are serious, a word of wisdom, don't believe everything you hear.

haha, no I was serious. I've got a healthy dose of salt handy for hides and advice! I heard that the .243 wasn't big enough from someone I thought would know versus the opposite from a bunch of strangers on the internet but I'm realizing that I need to just keep researching and listening carefully then weigh it all for myself. If this little gun shoots well at the range today, I'm going back to the spot I scouted last night and see what happens! Lots of undisturbed scat on the road and no tire tracks so could get my first bear this year.