PDA

View Full Version : Terrace Springs

Big G Hunter
06-06-2013, 09:37 PM
I'm going to go to Terrace in the first week of August this year with tthe wife and kids. going to stay at Ferry Island. Was wondering if there are still springs running at this time or is it more coho and pinks? Was there last summer from Aug 20- Nov 1. Found some nice spots among the many rivers, and caught some nice coho as well. I would really like to catch a spring for the freezer. Would be also fun to watch my girls catch some pinks on their barbie rods. Maybe even a coho! any help would be great.

adriaticum
06-06-2013, 09:52 PM
I think you should be able to find springs in the rivers up there right now. Kitimat, Kinkolith and anything close to the ocean Nass or Skeena system.

Big G Hunter
06-06-2013, 09:59 PM
I know they might be there now, but, how about in August?

adriaticum
06-06-2013, 10:06 PM
July is the peak of the season I think for springs, but you should be able to find some in August as well.
If you phone up Gill McKean from West Coast Fishing Adventures he is the top guide up there and he can tell you what the seasons are.
Also visit their web site and some of your questions will be answered there.

Woodrow
06-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Lots of fish in the river then, some of the springs might be turning colour by then but there should be a ton of pinks to keep your girls entertained.

Caribou_lou
06-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Pinks, coho, steelhead, sockeye, and chinook will all be in the river and able to catch all of these fish in one day first week of August. like someone already mentioned mid july is peak for chinook. So you'll have to get lucky to catch one. If I were you I'd go floss some sockeye at the top of ferry island.

ianwuzhere
06-06-2013, 10:36 PM
ya u could catch springs early aug, most will be starting to turn color and finding a fresh chrome one would be much harder but they are still there. Prolly best time to fish the rivers is then cuz there can be a bit of every salmon, especially pinks/sockeye.
good luck!

Seth
06-06-2013, 10:53 PM
I caught a 35 pounder on the August long weekend in 2011.

kilometers
06-07-2013, 08:00 AM
http://www.noelgyger.ca/

local guide who is always posting what he sees in the field.
I would say you might be late in aug for springs but they are always a couple around between the coho and pinks

betteroffishing
06-07-2013, 08:11 AM
dont wish to derail thread here , but i will anyways:mrgreen: how long of a drive { in hours }is it from williams lake to terrace ?

adriaticum
06-07-2013, 08:28 AM
dont wish to derail thread here , but i will anyways:mrgreen: how long of a drive { in hours }is it from williams lake to terrace ?

10 hours with a ferrari

kilometers
06-07-2013, 10:15 AM
6 hours from terrace to Prince George

Rhyno
06-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Pinks, coho, steelhead, sockeye, and chinook will all be in the river and able to catch all of these fish in one day first week of August. like someone already mentioned mid july is peak for chinook. So you'll have to get lucky to catch one. If I were you I'd go floss some sockeye at the top of ferry island.

I hear sockeye is closed this year until (or if) they reach certain numbers. Definitely check on line for reg up dates before you hit the water. Although the bulk of the run will be through you still have a decent chance of a spring. I would head west of Terrace...18 mile was a good spot that time of year don't know if a side channel stranded it though. Good Luck!

Big G Hunter
06-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Its about a 9 hour drive from the puddle to Terrace, with minimal stops.

Bobfl
06-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Williams lk to terrace 11 hours without long stops. spring fishing starts june 15th peaks july 25th pinks should be there july 1- 20th. chum july 5th july 20th. Fishing at ferry island is a joke with the local native unliked by community running his net from the top of the island past the hatchery to the point on the island calling all whiteys many names I don't want to use and get off there river. Fishing has dropped off in the past 10 yrs since commercials have staggered nets in the inlet. Chum could be whipped out in kitamat in 10yrs.

Caribou_lou
06-10-2013, 12:29 PM
I hear sockeye is closed this year until (or if) they reach certain numbers. Definitely check on line for reg up dates before you hit the water. Although the bulk of the run will be through you still have a decent chance of a spring. I would head west of Terrace...18 mile was a good spot that time of year don't know if a side channel stranded it though. Good Luck!

Yes sockeye is closed as of now. But with DFOs track record they are most likely wrong! supposedly Chinook numbers are lower than normal also... But enough to have a commercial opening!