PDA

View Full Version : Indian River Road access

One Shot
06-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Has any one been up the Indian River Rd lately from Squamish to Indian Arm? I know that the road has been deactivated and that there has been some interlok blocks placed on the road in a couple places. Question, can quads get through? Any info and or pictures would be great. Thanks

MB_Boy
06-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Hey OneShot....here is a thread from a couple years ago, not sure if things have changed?

http://www.dualsportbc.com/forums/showthread.php?8014-FYI-Indian-River-Road-Closed

There are a couple members from Squamish on here who could likely shed some light like 'The Provider'.

I used to spend a lot of time in there as it was a relatively quick ride from home. Ever since the elk were put in there it has been shut down IIRC.

One Shot
06-06-2013, 05:57 PM
Thanks. i have seen the posts as well. There apparently has been some attempt in moving some blocks and building ramps by piling up rocks but do not know its status today.

blackbart
06-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Why not just respect the closure??? Why the need to try to get everywhere by mechanical means?

albravo2
06-06-2013, 09:26 PM
I don't think its closed because the gate is open. But I do think it is impassable. I was up there just after bear season opened and had to turn around a few kms in because of the snow. My buddy is a helicopter pilot that flew the route late last year and he said there were some sizeable slides across the road.

Please report back if you take a poke at it. I hear its a nice drive and apparently the fishing is pretty good on the other side.

TheProvider
06-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Dump trucks were hauling like mad up that way two weekends ago. Not sure how far or if its still going on.

bcd
06-07-2013, 07:15 AM
This is from last fall. Not sure the current status. I was thinking about mtn biking in there this summer, looks like a neat valley from the photos I've seen.

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh514/bc_d/SDC12985.jpg

biggyun68
06-07-2013, 07:33 AM
That is not how I was taught to deactivate a road in Forestry school: However someone invested a lot of money to do this type of deactivation those blocks are not cheap and hauling and placing them in would cost a bit of cash: Unfortunately they did not do some important cross ditching: They left a space on the right side for some passage:
How many kilometers from chuck is this barrier Provider?

TheProvider
06-07-2013, 08:12 AM
That is where the bridge washed out years ago

biggyun68
06-07-2013, 08:19 AM
Well that explains the interlock wall - it is a head wall for the old bridge... Thanks No idea how far down the road is though :-D

One Shot
06-07-2013, 10:31 AM
That is not how I was taught to deactivate a road in Forestry school: However someone invested a lot of money to do this type of deactivation those blocks are not cheap and hauling and placing them in would cost a bit of cash: Unfortunately they did not do some important cross ditching: They left a space on the right side for some passage:
How many kilometers from chuck is this barrier Provider?

It apparently cost us taxpayers close to $1 million dollars to deactivate the road.

One Shot
06-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Well that explains the interlock wall - it is a head wall for the old bridge... Thanks No idea how far down the road is though :-D

The interlok wall was not part of the old bridge. Two interlock walls were put in to attempt to keep vehicles out of there as there was a serious poaching problem in there. It was so effective that the COs and RCMP were asking for access into the area through the Coquitlam watershed and were turned down by the GVRD. They have had to up by boat. There has been discussion to open it up a little for ATV traffic but not sure where that stands today. They estimated that it would cost upward to another million to do so.

sed8ed
06-10-2013, 02:48 PM
The road was re-opened last year for some pipeline work (hence all the extra hauling) since one of the main HP feeders runs along the powerline RW. It was deactivated again afterwards... check out this link for info: http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?182281-Indian-Arm-FSR-snow-level-and-blockade

There is talk of a run of the river project going in up there as well as a new quarry for one of the local cement companies. Both would be barge access most likely.

stixnstones
06-10-2013, 07:14 PM
I had the elk draw up there and was told the road was closed coming in from Squamish. We found out in a hurry that atvs n four wheel trucks were making it through. Not impressed for the reason that one group came in and were messing around with our camp and boat. People should just leave other persons belongings alone...

The Silent Stalker
06-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Did you get your Elk?

stixnstones
06-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Nope I did not. Long story but I would of never put in there again. How things worked out kind of bad timing, weather, and yahoos in there, and a few more things I don't want to advertise. Seen so many rubs If I die tomorrow I will have seen more rubs than most will see in a lifetime. Good luck to the next(2) draw holders plus the other 2 tags that are in there. if anyone gets it I will tell them all I know.

TheProvider
06-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Seen areas absolutely destroyed back there with elk rubs and tracks

noahs ark
06-11-2013, 07:02 PM
The road was re-opened last year for some pipeline work (hence all the extra hauling) since one of the main HP feeders runs along the powerline RW. It was deactivated again afterwards... check out this link for info: http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?182281-Indian-Arm-FSR-snow-level-and-blockade

There is talk of a run of the river project going in up there as well as a new quarry for one of the local cement companies. Both would be barge access most likely.

Yes the company I work for is putting in the quarry for our new agg. Division and there will be road access as well as barge. (if the tree huggers ever let it pass. Hope they like the foundation of their house)

Danny
07-08-2013, 12:38 PM
great, another beautiful area destroyed

peter waugh
07-13-2013, 06:49 PM
It was deactivated due to the elk the burrard band had transplanted there was poaching right off the bat pls have a bit of respect and just let the elk strive first that is why the Squamish valley elk are not doing as well

Big Pops
07-15-2013, 08:37 AM
The wall is much different than that most recent picture, 3 blocks are pushed down on the side closest to the rock wall and only quads can get in, no trucks yet, if 2 more blocks can fall down somehow:mrgreen: then 4x4s will be able to make it in, if u want pictures pm me. This was all last month, might have changed a little since then

Paulyman
07-15-2013, 09:25 AM
this is what I heard as well as of last week.
The wall is much different than that most recent picture, 3 blocks are pushed down on the side closest to the rock wall and only quads can get in, no trucks yet, if 2 more blocks can fall down somehow:mrgreen: then 4x4s will be able to make it in, if u want pictures pm me. This was all last month, might have changed a little since then

Big Pops
07-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Yeah I'm goona try to get up there this weekend to see how it looks now. Ill try to post my pics after class

biggyun68
08-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Yeah I'm goona try to get up there this weekend to see how it looks now. Ill try to post my pics after class

How did the trip go?

Rob Chipman
09-02-2013, 12:31 PM
I was up there Saturday. The wall at 9 km is passable by ATV and dirt bike, and maybe a tough 4x4. There's another washout at 12.5 km that needs a bit of work (at least for me to get by). I only went to 12.5 km.

biggyun68
09-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Thanks: I have heard from two guys who enter through boat from the mouth of Indian River: They say the Deer hunting was goo the past few years

RB2
09-03-2013, 10:06 PM
The road is passible by quad, two buddies of mine were in there yesterday. They said they could not get to the estuary though cause of a bunch of machinery that was working. The excavator operater said the were working on spawning channels to enhance Coho populations. Higher up from where the pinks spawn. They saw no Deer or Elk.

rbest
09-04-2013, 04:35 PM
I frequent the area by boat. The Tsleil-waututh First Nation owns all of the land in and around the estuary, with the remainder of the Indian arm provincial park starting up stream a bit. They indeed are working on growing the Coho stocks on the Indian. They also have prohibited any moorage at the old forestry dock at the end of Indian arm. They also have not activated the road after the wash out to grow the Elk population. You will not see many or any Elk down in the valley at this time of year. If you go down the arm in the Winter you have a good chance seeing them all along the river banks, and the road close to the ocean. I was trying to post some pics, but it's giving me an error message. I will try again in another post

RB2
09-06-2013, 02:30 AM
That's funny.... So called natives did not believe in ownership of land in so called traditional times. I sense a trend.

biggyun68
09-06-2013, 08:02 AM
I frequent the area by boat. The Tsleil-waututh First Nation owns all of the land in and around the estuary, with the remainder of the Indian arm provincial park starting up stream a bit. They indeed are working on growing the Coho stocks on the Indian. They also have prohibited any moorage at the old forestry dock at the end of Indian arm. They also have not activated the road after the wash out to grow the Elk population. You will not see many or any Elk down in the valley at this time of year. If you go down the arm in the Winter you have a good chance seeing them all along the river banks, and the road close to the ocean. I was trying to post some pics, but it's giving me an error message. I will try again in another post

I am confused about the ownership now: I know there are Reservations in the area: however Royal Van Yacht club owns some of the land around the estuary and the rest is labeled as crown land: Either park or forest Tenure...

I also heard that the no tie up thing is because of liability:

rbest
09-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Yes, DCYC, BYC and the RVYC all own chunks of land. The BC Parks work closely with the The Tsleil-waututh First Nation in preservation of the area. I went down by boat yesterday to go see all the Pinks spawning, and they wouldn't even let me walk up the road. The guy wasn't very friendly either, so I didn't push to hard on the subject. All he said was that the area is under construction by Fisheries, Parks and the Band to construct spawning channels for Coho. Then he told me to leave, because I was standing on a private dock..... I'm not sure on all of the legalities of the area, but I have a feeling that the band just wants to keep people away. It's the Indian Arm provincial park up there, so I'm a little confused myself.

lip_ripper00
09-10-2013, 01:40 PM
I am not 100% sure but I believe, from the new dock (native built) the right side of the river estuary is native land how far it goes I don't know, but I don't think it goes as far as the machine shed.

MichelD
09-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Boy, things change.

It seems that only a few years ago when the road was open I'd go over there for a day or two and be the only one there.

lip_ripper00
09-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Boy, things change.

It seems that only a few years ago when the road was open I'd go over there for a day or two and be the only one there.

Well if was between May and Sept. Thursday to Monday, that was my boat tied to the old logging float:mrgreen::mrgreen:.

MichelD
09-10-2013, 08:52 PM
"Well if was between May and Sept. Thursday to Monday, that was my boat tied to the old logging float."

Did you ever meet an old guy named Jack Hunter on an ex-fishboat called the Wells Pass?

mud-dog27
09-10-2013, 11:04 PM
Yes, DCYC, BYC and the RVYC all own chunks of land. The BC Parks work closely with the The Tsleil-waututh First Nation in preservation of the area. I went down by boat yesterday to go see all the Pinks spawning, and they wouldn't even let me walk up the road. The guy wasn't very friendly either, so I didn't push to hard on the subject. All he said was that the area is under construction by Fisheries, Parks and the Band to construct spawning channels for Coho. Then he told me to leave, because I was standing on a private dock..... I'm not sure on all of the legalities of the area, but I have a feeling that the band just wants to keep people away. It's the Indian Arm provincial park up there, so I'm a little confused myself.

They can hassle you for using the dock as its technically private [you can get permission if you ask around], but they cant do a damn thing about you walking down that road the band has a small chunk of land mostly on the west side of the road up to the twin bridges the road is CROWN land but having dealt with them face to face i can say they are a little self righteous and arrogant, as they tried telling me i was on private land as i was walking the road but when they realized i knew the area they backed off and carried on with their day. That said ive been up there at the dock when RCMP and SAR have stopped by, RCMP made sure no one was drinking and boating, checked fishing licenses and left.

RB2
09-10-2013, 11:47 PM
Like I said before. Traditional natives believed in stewardship of land not ownership. This one gets me angry. Spent a ton of time up there in my late teens. Me thinks they want the Elk and Fish to themselves and nobody to know what they are doing.

RB2
09-10-2013, 11:48 PM
The road is Crown land. checked all the latest maps.

RB2
09-10-2013, 11:51 PM
Canada topo maps pro for android shows the latest maps

One Shot
09-11-2013, 11:02 AM
The dock there I believe used to belong to the forest service, at least they used to have had their sign and logo on it.

mud-dog27
09-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Like I said before. Traditional natives believed in stewardship of land not ownership. This one gets me angry. Spent a ton of time up there in my late teens. Me thinks they want the Elk and Fish to themselves and nobody to know what they are doing.

See the ones i got attitude from were younger and on quads, there were two older guys in the truck they have and all they said/asked was how the hunting was going and carried on

DaYammie
09-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Ok. So to revive an old thread...
I have one of the LEH bull Elk tags for 2-8A. Anyone have any tips for the area? This will be my first time for an Elk hunt.
thanks.:-D

f350ps
09-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Wow, you lucky ba$t@rd!!! Good luck, K

DaYammie
09-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Wow, you lucky ba$t@rd!!! Good luck, K

Thanks.. I'll probably need it...

albravo2
09-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Road is 100% open from the Squamish side.

Friends were up there on Sunday. Lots of traffic though.

Rob Chipman
09-02-2014, 11:41 AM
Albravo:

You mean it's open all the way over the top to Indian River, or just up to where the concrete block wall is?

albravo2
09-02-2014, 12:00 PM
All the way. They got right down to the lodge. Said road is in very good condition.

I'd heard from a helicopter pilot buddy that they were going to start logging that area again so I'm not surprised.

DaYammie
09-02-2014, 12:11 PM
Albravo2,
Thanks for the info.

Ruch13
09-14-2014, 09:47 PM
I got the draw last year! It's an awesome hunt you will enjoy.
Good luck

f350ps
09-14-2014, 09:56 PM
I got the draw last year! It's an awesome hunt you will enjoy.
Good luck
Where's the pics? :) K