PDA

View Full Version : Good Karma

ROY-alty33
06-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Buddy calls at 830, shot a bear and it fell down steep slope. Area is about 75kms away, but i say I'll be right there. Grab some rope, knives, and flashlights and head out. Hit the highway get a text of blood trail pics but he cant find it. And there is great blood for a bear, hes hit hard IMHO. Anyway stop for gas, get stopped in a roadside check on a Wednesday night (with a camo pack full of knives, rubber gloves and a tonne of rope, thought I was getting arrested for sure). Anyway, by the time I get to where he is, its too dark to search, especially for a wounded bear I guess, so he has given up searching and waiting at the highway and FSR. And absolutely pissed. I tell him not to worry, the bear is as good as dead and we can get him in the a.m.
So besides giving myself a giant pat on the back for being an awesome buddy, the purpose of this thread is what time do we gotta find this bear by in the morn before its all for naught? I am pretty sure its gonna be warm tomorrow, even at about 1800 feet.

Steeleco
06-06-2013, 06:59 AM
First light you should be in the thick looking. But by now, you likely already are!! Good luck

BearSupreme
06-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Why did you think you were going to get arrested? If there is a shred of human rights left in this country, you are innocent until proven guilty.

BearStump
06-06-2013, 09:24 PM
sooooo.......lets see some pics. did ya find the bear?

Blair
06-06-2013, 09:32 PM
So what happened?

BearSupreme
06-06-2013, 10:18 PM
Maybe the bear wasnt dead, and was waiting for him...

Steeleco
06-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Why did you think you were going to get arrested? If there is a shred of human rights left in this country, you are innocent until proven guilty.

I believe that was "Sarcasm" LOL

Mr. Dean
06-07-2013, 12:03 AM
WHERE'S THE BEAR!

People shouldn't post something like this without checking back in a timely manner.

ROY-alty33
06-07-2013, 12:08 AM
No bear. He had a dentist appointment at 830 so left his place about 930.
Lots of blood around where he was shot, and for about 100-150 yards quite easy to track. Then the work started. Bugger must have been on the "dead" run one or two drops every 7-10 yards, than a bit that was easy tracking than back to one drop every 10 yards. Even lost the trail completely for about half an hour, but the angle of the sun changed an voila, found it again. Finally lost the trail and after 45 minutes of looking for the next drop we decided to call it a day, unfortunately sans bear. It f*&^%ing sucked to leave it out there, but I guess that happens sometimes. No big pools or puddles so he never laid up. Never seen a bear bleed so much especially in that first 100 yards. And two kinds of blood bright, red and almost jet black, so liver/kidneys and leg wound?

604redneck
06-07-2013, 12:08 AM
ya you definitely have a dead bear......Sucks to say but ur best chance now is to wait for the ravens to find it. sounds like its hit a small ways back but still a kill shot, bears are tough though.
sorry about your buddies lost animal.

Mr. Dean
06-07-2013, 12:12 AM
Thanks, now we know you're not a lunch. Too bad about losing the bear.

ROY-alty33
06-07-2013, 12:21 AM
Nope not a lunch, a few thick areas where I didn't really want to find it.....alive anyways.
Plus I scored a 26er of Forty Creek for my troubles.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSC06337_-_Copy.JPG

This is the end of the line...last blood at last piece of flagging tape.

Mr. Dean
06-07-2013, 12:35 AM
Nasty hillside...... Good Whisky! :mrgreen:

RiverOtter
06-07-2013, 04:23 AM
By the sounds of the blood trail, he coulda been hit low and missed the vitals....

Mr. Dean
06-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Blackish blood = a vital organ leaking.

IslandmanDan
06-08-2013, 12:11 AM
I know this might come too late but, if you had a friend with a dog, they could probably track it for you...no rain makes the scent linger longer...sorry to hear.

riflebuilder
06-08-2013, 10:50 AM
I had a bear bleed heavy and then nothing. I have a hard time following blood trails as I am color blind. I got a bud with dogs to come out and we found the bear pretty quick. A dogs nose is better than our eyes. Hope you find the bear and it hasn't spoiled.

HarryToolips
06-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Exactly...your legally goin hunting..at first light

ROY-alty33
06-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Like Steelco said that was sarcasm.....however sure i wouldn't be the first guy detained and questioned having done nothing wrong.

Josethesiningfish
06-08-2013, 07:15 PM
That really sucks you could not find the bear. I must back 604redneck's comment on this one. Bears are really tough and as you know do not go down easily with one shot. Once a buddy of mine run into a similar scenario with the bear leaving a solid track and then vanishing... very frustrating because one cannot avoid the feeling of guilt that comes with the "oh shit" phrase.

BearSupreme
06-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Like Steelco said that was sarcasm.....however sure i wouldn't be the first guy detained and questioned having done nothing wrong.

Thus my statement. Everyone thinks we have great human rights, until you try to use them. If the cops f*ck you over, they get paid vacation. I wonder why our rights are fading...