PDA

View Full Version : I need a tent

bearhunter338-06
06-05-2013, 10:49 PM
OK what is a good 2-3 man tent at a reasonable price. Tent will be used for one or two nights on the odd weekend.

keoke
06-05-2013, 10:56 PM
Eureka makes some reasonable tents

v-king
06-05-2013, 11:38 PM
Eureka x 2 or Outbound

moosinaround
06-06-2013, 12:19 AM
I picked up a mountain hardware 3 man. Just 5 pounds, sleeps 2 big guys no problem!! Moosin

bighornbob
06-06-2013, 08:36 AM
OK what is a good 2-3 man tent at a reasonable price. Tent will be used for one or two nights on the odd weekend. Like anything it all depends on what, who and where you will be using it for. If you are car camping at camp grounds etc you probably cant beat the tents at crappy tire, walmart, costco etc. Also the floors of these tents are more sturdy if you have kids/dogs using them.

If its just you and a buddy for weekend hunts, then as mentioned you should step up in class of tent, Outbound, Eureka etc. Tents will be lighter as will the floors so care on where you put them will matter.

Backpacking vs. Tenting next to a vehicle will also dictate what you should probably get. Weight will not be an issue if you are sleeping next to a truck.

Also look at sizing, if its for 2 guys, you will definitely need a three person tent. If its for 3 guys a 2-3 person tent will not work unless you like spooning you buddies.

I have seen good quality tents on sale at Atmosphere (used to be Coast Mountain Sports), quite often. Maybe a place to check out if you want a better tent (North Face, Mountain Hardwear etc).

BHB

Robin
06-14-2013, 10:44 PM
Eureka's are very good, I got a 2 man from Taiga about 20 yrs ago and it's still in excellent shape. MEC also puts out very good tents, I've got 2 of there's also, worth checking out. MEC also has a great warranty, don't like it, send it back.

italhunter
06-14-2013, 11:04 PM
What's your budget? How much are you thinking of spending?

rcar
06-15-2013, 08:26 AM
Last fall I bought a Mountain Hardware Drifter 3 to replace my North Face Big Fat Frog 2 man. It is a great and fairly lightweight tent. It sells for about $285 but I found it online from a place in Maine. Paid $175 to my door.

2chodi
06-15-2013, 09:12 AM
We have used these for years and have been very happy with them. They are classified as 6-man, but they sleep 3 larger people with some gear comfortably.

http://store.eurekatent.com/timberline-sq-outfitter-6

Weatherby Fan
06-15-2013, 09:45 AM
I have a Mountain Hardwear Skyledge 2.1 3 season 2 person, great tent light and has door and vestibule on either side of the tent so your not climbing over each other to get out.
You can also just use the footprint with the fly to cut the weight.
WF

Big Lew
06-15-2013, 09:51 AM
I've had all manner of tents over the years, some good and some bad. Three years ago we bought a Coleman Instant Family tent for vehicle camping and couldn't be happier with it. It is an absolute breeze to set up and take down easily in just a couple of minutes and is waterproof, including the floor, without having to use a fly. Although I've relied on tents, I hate using them in the rain because of the setup and take down time....this one goes a long way toward addressing the time issues. There are no poles to assemble, just peg down the floor and pop it up. Use the tether strings if it's windy.

Singleshotneeded
06-16-2013, 01:01 AM
Like anything it all depends on what, who and where you will be using it for. If you are car camping at camp grounds etc you probably cant beat the tents at crappy tire, walmart, costco etc. Also the floors of these tents are more sturdy if you have kids/dogs using them.

If its just you and a buddy for weekend hunts, then as mentioned you should step up in class of tent, Outbound, Eureka etc. Tents will be lighter as will the floors so care on where you put them will matter.

Backpacking vs. Tenting next to a vehicle will also dictate what you should probably get. Weight will not be an issue if you are sleeping next to a truck.

Also look at sizing, if its for 2 guys, you will definitely need a three person tent. If its for 3 guys a 2-3 person tent will not work unless you like spooning you buddies.

I have seen good quality tents on sale at Atmosphere (used to be Coast Mountain Sports), quite often. Maybe a place to check out if you want a better tent (North Face, Mountain Hardwear etc).

BHB

I'm not entirely sure your buds are really comfortable with your talking about spooning and your name on here being BigHornBob! :-D

Singleshotneeded
06-16-2013, 01:05 AM
I've got a 3 man dome tent and I've used it for years...heavy durable tarp floor and two pole set-up in a "X"...takes 5 minutes.

The Silent Stalker
06-16-2013, 07:38 AM
I have a 16year old 4 season, 2 man tent from MEC(I did not hunt back then) and it's still going strong. It's hard not to admit that MEC has some great stuff for a good price and yes the warranty is great. I also picked up a big dome tent at crappy tire, threw it in a tote and the back of the truck. It was cheap so I don't care about it but it's big and fits everything inside. Twice I've broken it down in the rain, ram it in the tote and go home. I hang it in the garage and dry it out, still going.

bearhunter338-06
06-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Thank you all. I have decided to move up in size of tent (6 man) for the extra center height. I like to stand when I get dressed lol.

dog812
06-16-2013, 08:20 AM
i was just at northwest shelters (http://www.northwestshelters.com/) picking up my modded hunting tent..
The are now making "snowtrekker" style tents. 2 - 3 man hunting tents with stove jacks etc.. at half the price of the real ones..
http://www.snowtrekkertents.com/wintertents.html

http://www.snowtrekkertents.com/_images/expshort.jpghttp://www.snowtrekkertents.com/_images/dbl_crew.jpg

new hunter
06-16-2013, 08:26 AM
I have a 16year old 4 season, 2 man tent from MEC(I did not hunt back then) and it's still going strong. It's hard not to admit that MEC has some great stuff for a good price and yes the warranty is great. I also picked up a big dome tent at crappy tire, threw it in a tote and the back of the truck. It was cheap so I don't care about it but it's big and fits everything inside. Twice I've broken it down in the rain, ram it in the tote and go home. I hang it in the garage and dry it out, still going.

I also have a MEC brand tent , mines a TGV that I bought for a little over $200 5 years ago.
Its a 2 person 4 season tent and has help up pretty well for a long time .
OK , let the MEC bashing begin .

dog812
06-16-2013, 08:35 AM
Also Atmosphere has a sale on their Marmot Tents. I picked up the traillight 2p (http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-traillight-2-person-3-season-tent-w-footprint), $190 down to $140 ish and if you spend over a hundred bux you get a $20 gift card, so i picked up a new nano sleeping bag, reg $90 down to $50 - the $20 gift card = $30... The tent even fits in my saddle bags on my motorcycle.. pretty sweet.

coach
06-16-2013, 08:39 AM
That sounds like a good deal, Dog812. Remember there are atmosphere stores within most Sportchek locations. Lots of good stuff from north face, mountain hardware and marmot there.

Ambush
06-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Buy&Sell, Craig's List and Kijiji are full of cheap [Coleman,etc] tents. You can pick up a six to eight man dome tent for less then $50. Hard to beat for occasional "car camping".

Wackman
06-16-2013, 11:00 AM
OK what is a good 2-3 man tent at a reasonable price. Tent will be used for one or two nights on the odd weekend.

Come to Kamloops and check out Surplus Herbies, Burke.
I bought a 6 man tent for around $200 and took it bear hunting
this spring. Lots of room for two big guys with cots and ceiling hight
is somewhere around 6'. Stop by for a beer if you're out
this way!