PDA

View Full Version : Shooting ban in misson bc

izakaman
06-05-2013, 06:20 PM
The district of Mission, bc, is trying to implement a full shooting ban from Sylvester road to all other logging roads & wilderness areas. They are having a hearing June 19th at 6:30 at city hall, if no one shows up, forget shooting in the bush anymore!! We have a petition at the store, 33154 1st ave, come by & sign it, then show up at the meeting! Here is the link:
http://www.mission.ca/wp-content/upl...arms-Bylaw.pdf (http://www.mission.ca/wp-content/uploads/5362-2013-NEW-Discharge-of-Firearms-Bylaw.pdf)

junkyard_g
06-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Its important at these things not to play into stereotypes or use an adversarial tone. 'War on gun owners' comments will only be met with eye rolls as will head-to-toe camo or novelty t-shirts. Appeal to the un-decided not the true antis. Use talking points like memories of going out plinking with your dad and how you look forward to doing the same with your kids. Your focus on safety, packing out more than you took in, money spent in the community from people coming in to go shooting, being unfairly lumped in with other user groups who are more likely to have been a bigger contributor to littering and any environmental degradation out there.

The world is run by those who show up!

digginsweatinswearin
06-06-2013, 07:59 AM
This started out as a proposed no shooting zone around the area where the new kids camp is going in by Stave lake and has turned into a complete shooting ban within the district of Mission. A classic case of solving a problem that doesn't exist, although the idiots up Sylvester road are not helping matters. The crappy thing is that that pit on Sylvester isn't in the effected area, so even if this were to go through , we still have that eyesore to deal with.

G.A.
06-06-2013, 08:13 AM
is sylvester not part of mission?. thought it was, and if is then its closed down also...if this goes through. and im sure it will even if we show up and voice our concerns, spent to much to walk away now

and with them admitting in their own reports that the issue is from 10 pm till morning then shutting down the shooting wont solve anything..not sure how many shoot in the dark. and gate is cheep to stop that. had these issues years ago up blue mtn in maple ditch, i use to 4x4 up there but to many stolen cars torched and then a gate went in. could get a key from the city for 20 buck i think.
im sure they have plans to developed up stave to that they arent saying yet so to them thats money in the bank, hard to stop that thinking. alot of our issue here is not mission guys to.
they seemed to manage allowing hunting and shooting in skagit and thats full of family type they want to attract...400 meter off the road is all.

digger dogger
06-06-2013, 08:27 AM
Its important at these things not to play into stereotypes or use an adversarial tone. 'War on gun owners' comments will only be met with eye rolls as will head-to-toe camo or novelty t-shirts. Appeal to the un-decided not the true antis. Use talking points like memories of going out plinking with your dad and how you look forward to doing the same with your kids. Your focus on safety, packing out more than you took in, money spent in the community from people coming in to go shooting, being unfairly lumped in with other user groups who are more likely to have been a bigger contributor to littering and any environmental degradation out there.

The world is run by those who show up!

Well said jy_g...

davet
06-06-2013, 08:48 AM
I was up on Kearsley rd a few months ago looking for bear. It was a saturday. Bad day to go, lots of Atv ripping around. But when i was up on that road I came to the spot where i was going to do some calling. I think i counted 5-7 cars maybe 15 ppl shooting shotguns and rifles. Im ok with target practice but they were shooting over a clearcut and you could see stave lake. Who knows where those shots are going !!

ruger#1
06-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Stave Lake street is Missions border. Hatzic Prairie and Sylvester Road are Unincorporated.

G.A.
06-06-2013, 09:21 AM
ya i just looked on the special are map and see it now.. this whole area is a mess for the maps and signage at locations..both places by the range here...red mtn and bear have signs saying no discharge of firearms, but yet are the places that are open to hunt. an on the maps says its good to go..if we have them permits, but it doesnt say anything about that on the signs there, no wo9nder the hiker an bikers in the areas go off on some of us when they see us. seems to me half of their issues are create by themselves with so much missleading info

Madmardigan
06-06-2013, 09:30 AM
The district of Mission, bc, is trying to implement a full shooting ban from Sylvester road to all other logging roads & wilderness areas. They are having a hearing June 19th at 6:30 at city hall, if no one shows up, forget shooting in the bush anymore!! We have a petition at the store, 33154 1st ave, come by & sign it, then show up at the meeting! Here is the link:
http://www.mission.ca/wp-content/upl...arms-Bylaw.pdf (http://www.mission.ca/wp-content/uploads/5362-2013-NEW-Discharge-of-Firearms-Bylaw.pdf)

Hey Izakaman,Just wondering how Sylvester Rd is included in that bylaw .It's clearly outside the district limits(Unless that unnamed road in the top right of the district map is Sylvester?).And i guess a slingshot would be considered a "spring gun",therefore now known as a "firearm" in Mission.And pellet guns?Go figure!

It looks like they're trying to shut down shooting on Stave lk rd,close to Zajac's ranch,right?As well as the town proper.I think the city limit rules already prohibited firearm use in town,so really just Stave Lk rd.Seems like a gate with limited access would make more sense.

G.A.
06-06-2013, 09:34 AM
stave is a huge area. will also shut down red and bear mtn also, and up by the dump. wonder if ill get a refund for my permits i had to buy to hunt there....lol..ya right

G.A.
06-06-2013, 09:35 AM
stave lake rd is nowhere near the ranch either, its in town. thats florence fsr up there, its already no shooting to the right but everyone does when im up there. never seen it policed once either

ruger#1
06-06-2013, 10:23 AM
It is also out of town. It goes all the way to Miracle Valley.

G.A.
06-06-2013, 12:03 PM
ya, just meant wrong side of mission i guess.

jhausner
06-07-2013, 01:35 PM
http://map.mission.ca/Mission/ That shows the map in detail where the no shooting would take place. The left side of the lake seems to be the 'wilderness' most affected. The Sylvester road portion isn't included as it is outside the district's boundaries. Sylvester Road is entirely outside the District of Mission so would never be covered by the bylaw. The eastern boundary is Hatzic Lake and Stave Lake Road up to a line directly south of the Eastern shore of Stave Lake. The ban would cover Florence Lake Road to Morgan Lake and Burma Street. Most of Mount Crickmer would be covered too by the ban.

adriaticum
06-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Can they ban discharge of firearms on crown land?

junkyard_g
06-07-2013, 01:55 PM
If its within their municipal boundaries yes.

G.A.
06-07-2013, 07:08 PM
i didnt notice but are they changing the description for bows to be included in this ban..or staying the same and id be still ok to go hunt with my bow