PDA

View Full Version : Ground Squirrels -What to do with them

BCMarc
06-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Hey folks, I have a bit of a ground squirrel issue on the homestead. My question is, after shooting them, what the hell do you do with them? From what I understand they're nasty filthy little buggers. Do you leave them where they lay to rot or become dinner or do you throw them all in a trash bag and take them to the dump? I want to start getting rid of some but need to understand what to do with them afterwards. I'd rather not leave them laying around for the dog to discover and rip apart.

Fred1
06-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Garbage...

Singleshotneeded
06-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Yankees skin them and make them into a stew!

ActionJackson017
06-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Uhh... how you shooting them in Burnaby? Inquiring minds want to know :)

Singleshotneeded
06-04-2013, 08:16 PM
If he's smart he has one of those silenced pellet rifles!

ianwuzhere
06-04-2013, 08:40 PM
use a 308 norma mag- no clean up required

aggiehunter
06-04-2013, 09:27 PM
maybe if you elaborate on the "issue" some of us could help..

The Dawg
06-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Uhh... how you shooting them in Burnaby? Inquiring minds want to know :)

He didn't say he was shooting them, or if it was in Burnaby.

He asked what to do with them after they are shot.

BearSupreme
06-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Dont you have coyotes around that will clean up the lead-filled mess?

BCMarc
06-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Burnaby is now Horsefly, forgot to change the location tag on my profile. I will get on that.

The issue is essentially that they are everywhere on half the property. They're digging up and leaving their piles on the driveway and in the fields on the front 40, the higher ground. The back 60 that is lower, closer to river level, they don't seem to have gone to or can't weave their nasty tunnels in.

gcreek
06-04-2013, 10:42 PM
Burnaby is now Horsefly, forgot to change the location tag on my profile. I will get on that.

The issue is essentially that they are everywhere on half the property. They're digging up and leaving their piles on the driveway and in the fields on the front 40, the higher ground. The back 60 that is lower, closer to river level, they don't seem to have gone to or can't weave their nasty tunnels in.

Welcome to Horsefly!!!!

I shot thousands of them as a kid growing up there. Just leave them lay, the ravens, eagles, coyotes and fox will clean them up for you at no charge........... until you get chickens or sheep.

Jagermeister
06-04-2013, 11:21 PM
Welcome to Horsefly!!!!

I shot thousands of them as a kid growing up there. Just leave them lay, the ravens, eagles, coyotes and fox will clean them up for you at no charge........... until you get chickens or sheep.
I have popped them and left them only to return later and presto, the carcass was gone. Started watching to see what was happening and discovered a live one dragging a dead buddy done a hole. Witnessed this more times therafter and when I inquired about that, I was informed they practiced cannibalism eating their dead so as not to attract predators.

Drillbit
06-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Just leave em lay, they'll be gone the next morning.

If you need/want any help, I'm usually in the area ready for action!

hunter1947
06-05-2013, 03:19 AM
You can dig a hole to put them in and cover

Foxton Gundogs
06-05-2013, 06:55 AM
Welcome to Horsefly!!!!

Xactly I've even seen the rotten lil boogers drag them back down the hole. The Local archery club used to have a Gopher Derby in Horsefly. They would stick them to the ground with arrows then cut their tails off for the count. We used to have a Gopher Derby off the sundeck at a friends place near Radium, just leave them lie they don't last to long.

Frango
06-05-2013, 07:56 AM
My wife killed two with a pellet gun. She just left them where they lay . The next morning two Turkey vultures cleaned them up before I could. I like those birds.

gcreek
06-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Using any gun larger than a .22 LR with hollow points will just make nice fertilizer out of them. Lengthwise contact will make a more finely ground product.:grin:

Sofa King
06-05-2013, 01:25 PM
how is it that we are able to figure out how to dispose of our moose and deer carcasses, even bear, wolf, and coyote, but a wee gopher suddenly is perplexing?