PDA

View Full Version : If You Shoot A Coyote You Must ???

NEEHAMA
01-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Is there any un written laws with coyote hunting? i've never been out for them but i was going to giver a try. what do i have to do with the thing after i shoot it? i was going to skin a few but if it turns out to be a sick nasty one can i feed the birds? or do you all take them home and ...
when i was a kid i seen alot of " shoot and release" on yotes is this taboo

do you wear gloves?

RiverOtter
01-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Most guys won't have a problem with you not taking your coyotes home. That said, I would not leave a coyote out in the middle of a field for all to see either. Coyotes are not a popular food source for ravens etc. and are largely consumed by maggots in the spring.

I dump a lot of yotes in a winter and turf quite a few, mainly due to mange. The good ones I skin and sell through NAFA. When skinning, gloves are a must(for me anyway) and a darn good idea for anyone who appreciates their health.

RO

SHAKER
01-05-2007, 01:35 PM
You should take a cruise threw the regs about this. Coyote's are listed as a fur bearing animal. Therefor the hide must be removed from the animal, legally.

NEEHAMA
01-05-2007, 01:39 PM
thanks, i want to try and call a few in.

smokey
01-05-2007, 03:08 PM
here some for ya

Gateholio
01-05-2007, 04:12 PM
You must rtetrive the meat and eat it.

Will
01-05-2007, 04:14 PM
But not the Galls.......it's Illegal:lol:

The Hide MUST be saved if it is good....NO mange etc.

Chuck
01-05-2007, 04:51 PM
When they are still fresh (and you're gonna keep 'em) drop it in a big black garbage bag and shoot a good bunch of Raid inside the bag , then tie off and leave it in there a few hours. You'll be surprised what tries to crawl out!

BlacktailStalker
01-05-2007, 06:18 PM
If you shoot a coyote, you have to shoot one more for me :) I wish we had them.

steel_ram
01-05-2007, 08:26 PM

. . . raw!

RiverOtter
01-05-2007, 08:49 PM
You should take a cruise threw the regs about this. Coyote's are listed as a fur bearing animal. Therefor the hide must be removed from the animal, legally.

Your only half right there, according to page 92 of the regs.

".....the hide must be removed to the person's normal dwelling place or to a meat cutter, the owner or operator of a cold storage plant or to a taxidermist, tanner or a fur trader."

Does not state that you must "skin" it, it can still be attached to the carcass. Once you return to your residence, you can turn right around and go dump it. Making a guy skin out a worthless mangy coyote would be cruel and unusuall punishment.:lol:

Not that I expect a lot of forthcoming "I do's", but I'd bet many, if not most guys, leave manged yotes right where they fall.

RO

The Hermit
01-05-2007, 09:55 PM
gee ya mean just the tail on my trailer hitch won't do? damn

browningboy
01-05-2007, 10:04 PM
We make yote sausage and franks! Goood, but yes wear gloves!:lol:

boonerbuck
01-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Just don't leave them where you shoot them. Take them to the dump before or after you skin them.

I throw them on the bait pile. Even if other yotes won't eat them ( and they do sometimes) it draws in ravens which draw in coyotes.