PDA

View Full Version : Black bear behavior?

Fella
06-03-2013, 07:43 PM
So my buddy and I went out for a 4 day trip for bear, had a great time, however we drove and walked up and down half a dozen valleys and countless slashes and only found scat in one valley on one 6 kilometre long section of valley floor and up to the top of the mountain. We ended up getting a shot at the one bear and through a comedy of errors, ended up missing. So after the bear took off we left the slash where we saw him alone for the day. Came back the next day a few hours before the time we had seen him the day before and got settled in over looking the slash with the wind in our face and waited about 3 hours. Didn't see anymore fresh scat the rest of the trip though.

Anyways, my question is was it worth it to go back to the slash after spooking the boar the day before? Would he have moved out of the valley? We knew he habituated the area because we hiked into a half a dozen meadows and other clearings besides the one we saw the bear in and saw similar sized tracks and old scat.

We only saw a half a dozen people the whole weekend, and they were all fishermen parked at a lake, so there wasn't much in the way of noise or hunting pressure.