PDA

View Full Version : Coyote uses

Browningmirage
01-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Hi All

Well am thinking about going out coyote hunting this weekend, and was wondering, as it is my first try at it, what you do with the animal. I heard you can get some money for the fur (although i was thinking of keeping the skin.) What about the meat, im not thinking i want to eat a coyote, cuz it would make me think of my poor puppy dog back home in Port Hardy. Are there any other uses for a coyote

todbartell
01-04-2007, 10:18 PM
unless you were starving, I wouldnt eat it :|

you can skin it & prepare it, this site is great to learn how to do it

http://www.coyotecanada.ca/

if you need some help with tips etc, check out these two sites

http://doomedyote.freeforum.ca/index.php

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

Will
01-04-2007, 11:53 PM
The Skulls look Great on the Mantle too :twisted:

boxhitch
01-05-2007, 07:42 AM
Are there any other uses for a coyote
OK, so why are you going out to hunt coyotes ?
- To kill something
- Target practice
- Mental therapy (coping with patience, frustration, adversion)
- Pelt collection for $$
- Pelt collection for hobby/craft use
- Trophy collection (pelt and/or skull)
- Predator control
- or just to prop up the carcass, in a comical pose, freeze it, and use as a lawn ornament
Lots of reasons, you decide 'why'.:)

Browningmirage
01-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Id have to say, firstly predator control, and secondly pelt collection for hobby or craft use, Apparently the fur looks nice on a wall too.

But above all, i want to have a pet coyote that i can call mine, that will come when i call, and be my faithful servant, and will do my bidding. :smile:

Schmaus
01-05-2007, 10:43 AM
But above all, i want to have a pet coyote that i can call mine, that will come when i call, and be my faithful servant, and will do my bidding.

I was thinking the same but with a cougar instead.

Will
01-05-2007, 04:16 PM
i want to have a pet coyote that i can call mine, that will come when i call, and be my faithful servant, and will do my bidding. :smile:
The Cavemen figured this out to.......We call them Dogs today:lol:

sub urban bow hunter
01-05-2007, 04:22 PM
The Cavemen figured this out to.......We call them Dogs today:lol:

Apparently the cougar plan didnt work out as well..... we call them cats today.

Chuck
01-05-2007, 04:38 PM
I've got one too! Very snarly,but cute -I call her my wife. She doesn't know about this web. Sshhhh.

Will
01-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Or if you get enough of them.........
U can Make a Nice Coat :twisted:

boonerbuck
01-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Are there any other uses for a coyote

Bait, Some coyotes eat their own and others like wolves will devour one.

At the very least it's something to add to a bait station to keep the areas predators coming regularly.

sawmill
01-06-2007, 12:17 PM
You guys kill me!You talk about ethics and sportsmanship and joy of hunting Blah,Blah Blah ...........and then you screw your credibility by yappin` off obout killing coyotes just cause they are coyotes.Shoot `em and leave `em,hang `em in a tree to rot,chuck `em on a bait pile?What kind of hunter just kills things cause he can?If you want a trophy for the wall-very cool,I get that.If you crank them just to watch them tip over-I say shame on you.
I have some damn nice mounts on my wall and I`m proud of them,but I don`t shoot critters and leave them to rot,if I wanted that I`d sit on my deck with my pellet gun and use my bird feeder as a "bait station"
Lots of Greenies read these sites boys,lets not give them more reasons to bitch about us.

todbartell
01-06-2007, 12:43 PM
well using the skinned carcass for bait isnt unethical IMO, the fur is being used so where is the problem? :|

Monashee
01-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Id have to say, firstly predator control,
If you are serious what do you mean by "predator control" ?

boonerbuck
01-06-2007, 01:00 PM
You guys kill me!You talk about ethics and sportsmanship and joy of hunting Blah,Blah Blah ...........and then you screw your credibility by yappin` off obout killing coyotes just cause they are coyotes.Shoot `em and leave `em,hang `em in a tree to rot,chuck `em on a bait pile?What kind of hunter just kills things cause he can?If you want a trophy for the wall-very cool,I get that.If you crank them just to watch them tip over-I say shame on you.
I have some damn nice mounts on my wall and I`m proud of them,but I don`t shoot critters and leave them to rot,if I wanted that I`d sit on my deck with my pellet gun and use my bird feeder as a "bait station"
Lots of Greenies read these sites boys,lets not give them more reasons to bitch about us.

You are making people's answers out to be something they are not. Why try and discredit a ethical sport. Are you some kind of snob?

If you add a coyotes carcass to the bait pile it is a use.

I myself use them for bait and save the pelt for sale. I also enjoy the sport a lot.

Have you ever heard of predator ncontrol?

So are you now going to criticize mountain lion hunter, grizzly hunters, people who travel to Africa etc.....

Yes lots of greenies read these sights. You shouldn't be so ignorant and try supporting the All the types of hunters on here. Not just YOUR way of hunting.

Who do you think you are anyways?

sawmill
01-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Ive got no issue with guys who skin them and do something with the hide,you don`t have to eat them for christs sake!Just sounds like a lot of guys shoot them and leave them.If they look bad mangy by all means kill them to save spreading the desease .

sawmill
01-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Hey boonerbuck,I plan to go out for a coyote myself this winter for a nice pelt on my wall.

I don`t plan to be a self apointed preditor control master.I leave shit like that up to God and nature.

Will
01-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Just sounds like a lot of guys shoot them and leave them.
There has Not been a single Reply to this post in which the person doesn't mention "Keeping" the hide for some form of use ? It is also the Law in BC (unless the hide is worthless or unuseable)

You are Reading into things and drawing you're own conclusions based on your Personnal views...then attacking your Fellow Hunters.

The Antis certainly don't need any help when we bicker amongst ouselves:|

boonerbuck
01-06-2007, 05:07 PM
There has Not been a single Reply to this post in which the person doesn't mention "Keeping" the hide for some form of use ? It is also the Law in BC (unless the hide is worthless or unuseable)

Yes, every serious post here mentions some use for it and none say they just leave them.:?

I did see a post on another thread where someone mentioned just leaving them but to just lump everyone into a category just because it was mentioned somewhere by someone is pretty ignorant.

I don`t plan to be a self apointed preditor control master.

...but you are a self apointed ethics cop who is ragging on the wrong crowd.

boxhitch
01-06-2007, 07:33 PM
.I leave shit like that up to God and nature.
Just like Santa Clause, he needs help sometimes. Yes, he speaks to me 8-)

Browningmirage
01-06-2007, 07:34 PM
If you are serious what do you mean by "predator control" ?

I am serious about the first part, and predator control means keeping a predator population under control (kinda self explanatory i thought) but anyways, in the national bison range in Montana, coyotes have killed every single antelope fawn for the past few years. The same can be expected with the deer populations, as well as other ungulates. This can be slowed down at least a little bit by killing a few coyotes, maybe one person wont be able to make much of an impact, but several people hunting them can.

because humans have killed or displaced to some extent the competitors and predators of coyotes, (namely wolves and grizzly bears i do believe) the coyotes themselves need to be controlled in order to limit their effects on ruminants. This is what i mean about predator control

Browningmirage
01-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Just like Santa Clause, he needs help sometimes. Yes, he speaks to me 8-)

and he is whispering things like..."Please help me with these bothersome coyotes, really they are such a nuisance. If you could just kill one or two every now and then it would please me much"

RiverOtter
01-07-2007, 12:24 PM
I did see a post on another thread where someone mentioned just leaving them but to just lump everyone into a category just because it was mentioned somewhere by someone is pretty ignorant.

I beleive that would have been me. In going back to my post on the other thread and re-reading it, I should have worded it differently. I myself harvest coyotes for the fur(if its merchantable; meaning no mange) and predator control for farmers. That said, I know that a lot of coyotes get shot for no other reason than because they are coyotes and I don't have a problem with that either, so long as it is within the boundaries of the law.

Bottom line is, whether you decide to keep your yote(s) after meeting the legal requirements or whether you choose to dispose of them, is up to you. Whatever you do, please don't leave them out in plain view of the public.

RO

ruger#1
01-07-2007, 12:33 PM
the fox populations in the valley are nil, thanks to the coyote, they do good at eating peoples cats and dogs and are also good at killing calves. my #1 use for coyotes is landfill. i have seen coyotes tearing a calf out of a heifer when she was calving not a perty site. Also the pheasant and grouse populations are next to nil. used to see lots of grouse on logging roads now all you see is coyote crap. when you loose animals to vermin. then thats all they are.the antis do not realize how many other native animals were lost to the coyote which migrated from Mexico. and has been poisoned and trapped and has been tried to be exterminated. they still have a big problem with them. they are like rats.

Monashee
01-07-2007, 08:32 PM
I am serious about the first part, and predator control means keeping a predator population under control (kinda self explanatory i thought) but anyways, in the national bison range in Montana, coyotes have killed every single antelope fawn for the past few years. The same can be expected with the deer populations, as well as other ungulates. This can be slowed down at least a little bit by killing a few coyotes, maybe one person wont be able to make much of an impact, but several people hunting them can.

because humans have killed or displaced to some extent the competitors and predators of coyotes, (namely wolves and grizzly bears i do believe) the coyotes themselves need to be controlled in order to limit their effects on ruminants. This is what i mean about predator control

The National Bison Range in Montana is a unique isolated ecosystem , only 29 square miles. Antelope along with the Bison, are restricted to the protected area. The antelope population is small and restricted in its movement which the adaptable coyote takes advantage when antelope fawns are being born. I would find it very unlikely that hunting and trapping of coyotes is allowed within this area by the general public. So there you have it a small restricted population of antelope in a protected area where you say coyotes took every antelope fawn for the past few years . Now how is that situation relevant to coyote "predator control" in BC ?

BC coyotes are not a serious predator of deer , ask any wildlife biologist. The do take some fawns and adult deer infrequently but then they have always done that and BC deer populations are doing just fine.

If you want to go shoot coyotes go ahead where and when it is legal . Just don't do it in the mistaken belief of predator control . One could just as easily argue that coyotes are a beneficial predator and should be protected as they keep all those plague-carrying rodents in check.

boxhitch
01-07-2007, 09:47 PM

. Just don't do it in the mistaken belief of predator control . .
Aahhmmm, should be careful about trodding on someone elses beliefs. wars start that way. 8)

RiverOtter
01-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Will add that coyotes are highly resilliant to harvest. Sport shooting does very little to set the population back as coyotes compensate by having larger litters.

I will also add that, although coyotes do a lot of good when it comes to rodent pests, they are a force to be reckoned with when there numbers are up and they start running in pairs or packs. I have seen the aftermath of coyotes around cattle in calving season.

Predator control sums it up quite nicely.

And don't use the "But the anti's................" crap.
The anti's don't give a $hit about any of us, period. They do however realize that it is easier to get rid of one specialty group at a time than to tackle "Hunters" as a whole.

RO

dana
01-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Had a buddy that moved his family onto a large ranch in the interior. First year there, he made it a priority to shoot every yote that he saw. Second year there he was overrun by mice. Third year, he decide that he'd only shoot the coyotes that were 150 yards from the house. The coyotes learned the range rather quickly and went about their business mousing in the hay fields. And the mice problem was over as well. However, come calving season, every ranch hand made sure they shot every yote that dared to comewithin range of the calving pens. He told me the yotes can do some serious damage at that critical time.

boonerbuck
01-07-2007, 11:36 PM
And don't use the "But the anti's................" crap.
The anti's don't give a $hit about any of us, period. They do however realize that it is easier to get rid of one specialty group at a time than to tackle "Hunters" as a whole.

You have this bang on RiverOtter.

And I don't believe just because someone decides to stick one on his wall it separates him from the blood thirsty killers.:roll:
/\
llll
llll
llll
SARCASM!!:lol:

Shop Lord
01-08-2007, 01:11 AM
I was told by a C.O. to shoot every yote I see. He does the sheep counts near Lillolet and had witnessed coyotes pulling lambs out of the ewes. So this is a problem in B.C.

boxhitch
01-08-2007, 12:23 PM
I was told by a C.O. to shoot every yote I see. He does the sheep counts near Lillolet and had witnessed coyotes pulling lambs out of the ewes. So this is a problem in B.C.
So then, it would make good sense to have a hunting effort, near to lambing season, with the intent of saving a few lambs. Control of the problem where and when it exists. Shooting a yote two months earlier, or ten cliks away, will have little effect.

Browningmirage
01-08-2007, 02:50 PM
it would have to be a huge hunting effort because with no effort in the other months, the numbers will climb.

Monashee
01-08-2007, 03:36 PM

That is interesting. I wonder how many coyotes are involved many or just one incident ? Do other predators eat sheep around Lillooet say for instance cougars , bears and eagles ?

How many coyotes have you seen in that area ? Did you shoot any ?

The coyote season around Lillooet is 10 months in most MU areas and 7 months in another , no bag limit in any open area.

I've read one long study over several years duration in Yellowstone park that concluded coyotes are not a serious predator of any ungulate . It is also stated that trying to control their numbers did not work - it just made for smarter coyotes having larger litters.

Nature always has a way of balancing things out .

steel_ram
01-08-2007, 04:01 PM

I like to hunt deer and I suppose this could be applied against any user activity. Probably true but where's the fun in that. Nature has it's way but it can be very inefficient and wasteful.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-08-2007, 04:20 PM
I've read one long study over several years duration in Yellowstone park that concluded coyotes are not a serious predator of any ungulate . It is also stated that trying to control their numbers did not work - it just made for smarter coyotes having larger litters.

The sheep populations along the Frazer have been decreasing in the last several years. In a recent study coyote predation in the Pavillion area was found to be a significant factor.Sheep populations are harder hit because, unlike deer, they almost never twin.
Generous seasons on coyotes, yes, but not many people are hunting them despite the attention it gets on this site and others.

I heard of one study done in an fenced enclosure where all the coyotes were decimated for study purposes. The fawn survival in pronghorns went from somewhere in the 10-15/100 does to 80-90 /100. Don't under-estimate the "yote" factor on ungulate populations particularily in the smaller species.

I was out yote hunting on the weekend and found a high-fenced orchard where the whities had found a way in. Take a look at this video clip and see how they react to a coyote howl and then tell me they're not scared of coyotes. Sorry for the poor quality but those black dots scurrying around are whitetails:roll: .

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/StoneSheep/?action=view&current=Cap0020.flv

SSS

boxhitch
01-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Yes there are other prey animals that attack sheep
Yes there have been several occurences witnessed, as lamb monitoring is part of the management plan in several areas, to try and determine lamb birthing numbers and survival rates. Lamb mortallity by coyotes has also been proven by sampling coyote scat in the lambing areas.
No coyotes are not a serious problem to mature ungulates, but they can really kick on a fresh lamb crop. Ewes are less likely to be very wary during the drop, and the lambs have no defenses for the first few days. But it doesn't take long for the instincts to kick in.

boxhitch
01-08-2007, 07:01 PM
It is also stated that trying to control their numbers did not work - it just made for smarter coyotes having larger litters.

I'd like to read the rationel behind that statement.

boonerbuck
01-08-2007, 10:46 PM
The sheep populations along the Frazer have been decreasing in the last several years. In a recent study coyote predation in the Pavillion area was found to be a significant factor.Sheep populations are harder hit because, unlike deer, they almost never twin.
Generous seasons on coyotes, yes, but not many people are hunting them despite the attention it gets on this site and others.

This is why the season for coyotes in those regions are open right into June. I have gotten some guff from other hunters about killing yotes while they are denning but something has to be done to give the sheep in some areas a chance to recover.

I don't buy this crap about too many mice because of predator callers taking some coyotes out of an area. It's not like we are poisoning and exterminating. Give this animal some credit, it will survive our hobby no matter how good we get at it!!

You call in a couple out of a pack, take one and that second one is pretty hard to get later. You usually only get the young ones out of a pack after they have been called at a few times. All the packs I had been working last year are really difficult to get any action from this year despite there being no less sign and vocalisations.

Basically it's selective harvest. A couple from each pack. There's no way predator callers are going to wipe out a large % of coyotes in an area. They just become less responsive and more nocturnal.

One thing you can do is reduce those numbers at the time of calving/lambing. Those numbers will be replenished later without a doubt but the timing is important. At least you give a few more lambs, fawns and calves a chance in the spring.

ARC
01-09-2007, 08:42 AM

I actually watched a television program a few years back on how adaptable yotes are. They did studies on various ranches in canada and the US. On the farms where the ranchers aggressively hunted/shot them, they found that the coyotes adapted and started to reproduce more when under pressure. I can't remember if the litters were larger, but I remember them saying they did reduce their cycle times in between litters. The yotes also started taking calves strictly at night.

I think I posted this on here before in another thread, but I thought one of the solutions was interesting. They found that if the ranchers took any of the by-products of butchering-bones, guts, hide, etc and left it piled out in their fields, the coyotes would strictly feed off of them and rarely harassed any calves. One rancher went from shooting them, to feeding them and found less problems with coyotes taking his livestock.

boonerbuck
01-09-2007, 12:39 PM
They found that if the ranchers took any of the by-products of butchering-bones, guts, hide, etc and left it piled out in their fields, the coyotes would strictly feed off of them and rarely harassed any calves. One rancher went from shooting them, to feeding them and found less problems with coyotes taking his livestock.

This becomes a problem later once predators have become somewhat dependant or just plain prefer beef to rodents.

Ranchers for years have been requesting that trappers not use beef in their bait stations for wolves.

steel_ram
01-09-2007, 12:52 PM
I think I posted this on here before in another thread, but I thought one of the solutions was interesting. They found that if the ranchers took any of the by-products of butchering-bones, guts, hide, etc and left it piled out in their fields, the coyotes would strictly feed off of them and rarely harassed any calves. One rancher went from shooting them, to feeding them and found less problems with coyotes taking his livestock.

Reminds me of the time when we were camping and convinced the city folk tenting next door that if they left a circle of meat scraps around their campsite, the bears would hit that, feed around the circle and never enter the camp.:lol:

RiverOtter
01-09-2007, 02:20 PM
I have yet to see a yote consistently walk past a bunch of young calves to get to a pile of frozen scraps.

That kind of rational is typical of Nat G and the like. It may appear to work in the short term, but in reality, your helping the coyotes through the lean times and giving them a reason to produce more pups to take advantage of the good food source.

RO

Monashee
01-09-2007, 04:03 PM

I heard of one study done in an fenced enclosure where all the coyotes were decimated for study purposes. The fawn survival in pronghorns went from somewhere in the 10-15/100 does to 80-90 /100. Don't under-estimate the "yote" factor on ungulate populations particularily in the smaller species.

I was out yote hunting on the weekend and found a high-fenced orchard where the whities had found a way in. Take a look at this video clip and see how they react to a coyote howl and then tell me they're not scared of coyotes. Sorry for the poor quality but those black dots scurrying around are whitetails:roll: .

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/StoneSheep/?action=view&current=Cap0020.flv

SSS
I support shooting coyotes at any time to protect livestock, pets, and people . Also I have no problem with sport hunting in season. What I'm not so clear about is shooting coyotes under the umbrella term "predator control " as it implies the coyote needs to be controlled when it fact just like any other animal it is struggling to survive as part of the ecosystem which did fine until humans came along and disrupted the natural order. In very few cases it is justified calling it "predator control " but it seems to apply to the sensitive Bighorn sheep in some but not all places. The following link is a must read for anyone interested in Bighorn sheep in BC , http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/statusrpts/b98.pdf

Steve says California Bighorn sheep , are decreasing ( in the Lillooet area I assume ) Ok I'd ask why ? I understand that they are quite subsceptible to disease. How about those coyotes, are they the sole reason ? What about other predators ? What about habitat alteration from natural and manmade causes ie. fire , not enough fire , logging and its asscociated road buiding and traffic , grazing competition, loss of grazing etc. Is it poaching ? Vehicle mortality ? How about all of the causes combined ? Wildlife management is a tricky thing.

troutseeker
01-09-2007, 05:01 PM
When you are out of TP in the bush their pelt is nice and soft on the bum...

ruger#1
01-09-2007, 05:49 PM
the fox populations in the valley are nil, thanks to the coyote, they do good at eating peoples cats and dogs and are also good at killing calves. my #1 use for coyotes is landfill. i have seen coyotes tearing a calf out of a heifer when she was calving not a perty site. Also the pheasant and grouse populations are next to nil. used to see lots of grouse on logging roads now all you see is coyote crap. when you loose animals to vermin. then thats all they are.the antis do not realize how many other native animals were lost to the coyote which migrated from Mexico. and has been poisoned and trapped and has been tried to be exterminated. they still have a big problem with them. they are like rats.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-09-2007, 06:08 PM
I support shooting coyotes at any time to protect livestock, pets, and people . Also I have no problem with sport hunting in season. What I'm not so clear about is shooting coyotes under the umbrella term "predator control " as it implies the coyote needs to be controlled when it fact just like any other animal it is struggling to survive as part of the ecosystem which did fine until humans came along and disrupted the natural order. In very few cases it is justified calling it "predator control " but it seems to apply to the sensitive Bighorn sheep in some but not all places. The following link is a must read for anyone interested in Bighorn sheep in BC , http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/statusrpts/b98.pdf

Steve says California Bighorn sheep , are decreasing ( in the Lillooet area I assume ) Ok I'd ask why ? I understand that they are quite subsceptible to disease. How about those coyotes, are they the sole reason ? What about other predators ? What about habitat alteration from natural and manmade causes ie. fire , not enough fire , logging and its asscociated road buiding and traffic , grazing competition, loss of grazing etc. Is it poaching ? Vehicle mortality ? How about all of the causes combined ? Wildlife management is a tricky thing.
No, coyotes are certainly not the sole reason for sheep decline in any areas. I made no claim of that. But when sheep populations get depressed they sometimes need our help in any way possible. Since we are usually the cause of other factors(fire suppression, road building, cattle grazing etc.) we need to intervine where possible. We have fragmented their habitat in a lot of areas so a natural re-population can be an extremely slow process if it occurs at all. A healthy yote population can keep the sheep population from making a speedy recovery.
Yotes are but one factor in sheep mortality but it can be influential at critical times.

Next time you drive by a heard of calis stop and take note of the lamb:ewe ratio. A herd without significant predation will have a healthy ratio.

SSS

RiverOtter
01-09-2007, 06:18 PM
What I'm not so clear about is shooting coyotes under the umbrella term "predator control " as it implies the coyote needs to be controlled when it fact just like any other animal it is struggling to survive as part of the ecosystem which did fine until humans came along and disrupted the natural order.

I have to wonder how much time you have spent in the bush to come to the conclusion that coyotes are struggling. They are one of the most adaptable and successfull predators in North America.

As to the tail end of your sentence. How long have you been a member of peta. That has got to be the most ridiculous statement I've heard from a hunting board member in a long time. Humans are as much a part of the ecosystem as any other creature, we didn't just roll in from another planet and take over. :rolleyes:

RO

boxhitch
01-09-2007, 06:33 PM
Monashee - Yupp, humans have disrupted the natural order, for about as long as we have been walking upright , since learning how to build a fire to cook up some fine meat to eat, and since we've been able to rip the hide off of a yote to use for clothing. Why should it change now ? We as humans have also been given the brain power to manage wildlife, so we all continue to thrive where possible. I hope we can continue to help make this more clear for you..

craigchaplin
01-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Dumb question.........what other predators do coyotes have besides man?

todbartell
01-09-2007, 06:51 PM
wolves would be the biggest but they are not abundant in all areas that coyotes inhabit

mange probably kills more than wolves do

http://www.xenophilia.com/zb/zb0004/cmange.jpg

mange isnt seen in some areas, I honestly cant say Ive seen a mangy dog around here. :|

Stone Sheep Steve
01-09-2007, 07:29 PM
I remember a few years ago the South Okanagan Sportsman's Association put in a request to the WSSBC for members to help thin out the coyote pop. down in the Vaseaux area. By the next year the request was removed as mange had done the job.

SSS

bsa30-06
01-09-2007, 07:32 PM
That is one scary looking yote.The ones running around the city down here look like they have been peoples pets and professionally groomed.

RiverOtter
01-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Holy Tod, that is about the worst case of mange I have seen.

I've caught/shot alot of mangey coyotes in the past 3 winters, but mainly just enough to make the pelts worthless(back end and along the top of the back). It gets alot worse when they start breeding; over 50% last winter had to be tossed.

RO

steel_ram
01-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Coyotes are a renewable resource, so why not use them. I doubt a dead dog cares who eats him after the fact. And since they're apparently struggling so much, how about we make it easier on the smarter ones by culling out the dummies. Not everyones ball of wax, but predator hunting is fun for some.

boonerbuck
01-10-2007, 08:03 PM

It's not about putting the blame of the decline on coyotes. It's about saving wild sheep. Coyotes can survive in pretty much any habitat and will even in the unlikely event that coyote numbers drasticly fell in these locations. These sheep on the other hand are limited in this corridor and the absence of a few coyotes in the spring is only part of the solution...but one far quicker and easier. Red tape is killing these animals. Predator control can help short term.

dana
01-10-2007, 09:49 PM
There is one study that has shown that the drastic decline in the Calis in Junction is a direct result of lions that are being chased off their kills by packs of coyotes. Sooo, a hungry lion will just go get another sheep. Not the case of too many lions, more the cause and effect of too many yotes.

dana
01-10-2007, 09:53 PM
More Food For Thought,
There are many that think the yote kicks the $hit out of the mule deer fawns in the spring. This may be true in many areas south of the border, but in BC I'd say the yote ain't killing near as many fawns as the black bear is. Those that think the black bear is just a teddy bear and eats grass all day are sadly mistaken.

steel_ram
01-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Quite true. Black bears are often found walking roads in search of deer fawns. They are one of the very few animals that can catch the scent of a hiding fawn. When we actually had more deer than bears on the island, you could pretty much count on a tiny set of hoofs in every bear scat you kicked over.

browningboy
01-10-2007, 10:40 PM
use for a coyote= composte8)

boonerbuck
01-11-2007, 03:47 PM
More Food For Thought,
There are many that think the yote kicks the $hit out of the mule deer fawns in the spring. This may be true in many areas south of the border, but in BC I'd say the yote ain't killing near as many fawns as the black bear is. Those that think the black bear is just a teddy bear and eats grass all day are sadly mistaken.

I think the sheer number of coyotes would have it balanced in their ratio.

Do you have a link or at least some kind of research you can quote?

I find that very hard to believe. There are coyotes in large numbers everywhere on the mainland and the amount of area they cover in a 24 hour period is amazing. They are always on the move.

I remember the DVD I watched where Randy Anderson claimed to have taken a large number of fawn skulls out of one den. 14-17 or something. 1 den!

Will
01-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Randy Anderson claimed to have taken a large number of fawn skulls out of one den. 14-17 or something. 1 den!
Seems MAN isn't the Only Hunter that Adorns his Home with the Heads of his "Trophies" 8)
:lol: