PDA

View Full Version : Sow with cubs shot and left near trout lake (South of Revelstoke)

Alex
06-03-2013, 09:36 AM
The Conservation officer service is seeking witnesses for an offence that occurred on May 18th 2013 on Furgeson FSR near Trout Lake. A black bear sow with two cubs of the year was shot and left on Furgeson FSR near Trout lake South of Revelstoke.

It is alleged that the individuals responsible left the scene when they realized the presence of cubs. The sow was left at the scene. The COS would like to talk with a group of hunters present in the area that day as they might be witnesses.

2 individuals have been to the scene but more could have been in the hunting party. The men are in the early twenties, one with a goatee was driving a 90s Chevrolet Tracker. These individuals were at the scene on the afternoon of May 18th.

Vehicle:
1990s Chevrolet Tracker hard top, 2 door with a distinctive light camouflage pattern (Branches). There was a light mounted on the hood of the Tracker.

If you have any information regarding this incident, please call 1-877-952-7277. This is a 24/7 line.

Gateholio
06-03-2013, 09:49 AM
That vehicle shouldn't be hard to find.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Funny....we have talked to the CO's as it our group that reported it.

It was definitely a light colored camo pattern...maybe even desert camo. I'm sure someone out there's knows someone with a vehicle that fits the description.

Jagermeister
06-03-2013, 12:07 PM
I saw one close to matching that description in Kamloops about 3 weeks ago or so. Might have been a thin fern leaf pattern. Light grey/beige with the leaf pattern dark green or perhaps black.

BearSupreme
06-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Probably would have more witnesses if this was posted 2 weeks ago

RiverOtter
06-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Seen at least 2 vehicles in Nakusp on that week-end(Sunday, whatever day that was) that match the above description, except one was a pick-up. Although we ended up in the Trout lake area, we didn't see any camo vehicles in our travels there.

Were you the party camped near the Beaton bridge SSS?

KodiakHntr
06-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Pretty sure one of the guys in our party talked with the guys in question. Thinking they had a grizz permit for Gainer for some reason, but it might have been the other guys we talked with....

Definitely saw that rig though.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Seen at least 2 vehicles in Nakusp on that week-end(Sunday, whatever day that was) that match the above description, except one was a pick-up. Although we ended up in the Trout lake area, we didn't see any camo vehicles in our travels there.

Were you the party camped near the Beaton bridge SSS? Nope. We were camped close to the scene of the crime...but did run into that party camped at the junction.

Singleshotneeded
06-04-2013, 08:14 PM
shoot that poacher in the crotch...I can't stand a poacher that shoots a mom with her young 'uns...grrrr...

ElectricDyck
06-04-2013, 09:45 PM
shoot that poacher in the crotch...I can't stand a poacher that shoots a mom with her young 'uns...grrrr...

Obviously a lapse in judgement as they left it once they knew what they did...a lot of 20 year olds can't quite man up to a mistake yet...hopefully they take the step and accept resposibility.....

Stone Sheep Steve
06-05-2013, 05:01 AM
Yep. Mistakes can happen to everyone. It's what we do after they happen that separates ethical hunters from poachers. SSS

hunter1947
06-05-2013, 05:37 AM
I would say the person shot the sow then noticed she had cubs so they then killed the cubs knowing that the cubs would not survive then got the hell out of the area..

itsy bitsy xj
06-05-2013, 07:46 AM
I would say the person shot the sow then noticed she had cubs so they then killed the cubs knowing that the cubs would not survive then got the hell out of the area..

I didn't know the cubs where also shot. I thought it was just the mom with the cubs left behind

hunter1947
06-05-2013, 07:52 AM
I didn't know the cubs where also shot. I thought it was just the mom with the cubs left behind

You might be right just the sow..

Stone Sheep Steve
06-05-2013, 09:35 AM
The cubs were not shot. They stayed with the carcass for at least 2 days chasing away ravens. We did see other bears move into the area after 2 days so maybe the cubs were driven away by the other bears.
Hopefully, they will survive.

SSS

rides bike to work
06-05-2013, 10:23 AM
I once watched a show where they put a camera on a bear and they found that black bears are very social actually bedding in family groups and aunts helping care for young mabey these cubs will be adopted.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Forgot to mention that they were 2nd yr cubs.

SSS

boxhitch
06-12-2013, 07:29 AM
Wondered when the word would break on this one.
Someone knows that camo car and that group of hunters.

Peter Pepper
06-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Wondered when the word would break on this one.
Someone knows that camo car and that group of hunters.

If I knew him (I don't) and it was an honest mistake, and he learned from it, I would let him decide if he want's to man up or not. Everybody screws up at some point. Hopefully he has learned to watch the bear for a good long while in future. Guys have turned self in before for honest mistakes and still got fined....so unfortunately I can see how one might not turn self in

Jagermeister
06-12-2013, 09:16 AM
If I knew him (I don't) and it was an honest mistake, and he learned from it, I would let him decide if he want's to man up or not. Everybody screws up at some point. Hopefully he has learned to watch the bear for a good long while in future. Guys have turned self in before for honest mistakes and still got fined....so unfortunately I can see how one might not turn self in
I would give him time to turn himself in, after that I would fink him out.
It would be far better of him to do the self-confess deed on his own and suck up the punishment dealt. Chances are that punishment would be more lenient on self-confession, however, time is now working against that supposition. The longer the perpetrator lingers, the worse it becomes for him.

Caveman
06-17-2013, 08:33 PM
I saw one close to matching that description in Kamloops about 3 weeks ago or so. Might have been a thin fern leaf pattern. Light grey/beige with the leaf pattern dark green or perhaps black.

Thought I may have seen the same one, but it is a Suzuki, More green/grey than light colored. Jotted down the license plate # just the same

Lillypuff
06-17-2013, 08:54 PM
quite often the cos know more than the lead on. Had a buddy that shot a doe with a crossbow one evening and could not find it in the dark. Went back out the net day at 10 am and coyotes had cleaned it up. That week in the paper they wanted info and I told him he should talk to them. They were very thankful and I am sure they knew it was him.

bigben
06-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Ladies and gentleman I will put this thing to rest so everyone can breath easier the hunters that committed this have turned themselves in and its now under the juridiction of the wildlife officer. Thank you

Jagermeister
06-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Ladies and gentleman I will put this thing to rest so everyone can breath easier the hunters that committed this have turned themselves in and its now under the juridiction of the wildlife officer. Thank you
Yahoo. Wonder what influenced them to "surrender"?

Stone Sheep Steve
06-19-2013, 12:11 PM

Nice to hear BB!!

The internet can be a powerful tool when used properly.:)

SSS

calvin L
04-16-2014, 04:39 PM
Well here is a little good news . I got a call today from the C/O'S informing me that charges have been laid and a fine has been paid in the shooting of a female black bear with cubs that was left to rot last spring in trout lake . I would like to thank everyone that helped with the gathering information that lead to charges . Not only the hunters in the area but the hbc family . thanks again everyone and good luck in 2014

BCHunterTV
04-16-2014, 05:02 PM
good to hear the scum was caught....

Well here is a little good news . I got a call today from the C/O'S informing me that charges have been laid and a fine has been paid in the shooting of a female black bear with cubs that was left to rot last spring in trout lake . I would like to thank everyone that helped with the gathering information that lead to charges . Not only the hunters in the area but the hbc family . thanks again everyone and good luck in 2014

lbmmike
04-17-2014, 07:56 AM
You don't know they are scum.... It could have been a genuine accident and panic. We all have had it happen (not necessarily while hunting). If they decided to come clean I wouldn't say scum. If they were caught and still denied it..... scum.

RiverOtter
04-17-2014, 11:01 AM
You don't know they are scum.... It could have been a genuine accident and panic. We all have had it happen (not necessarily while hunting). If they decided to come clean I wouldn't say scum. If they were caught and still denied it..... scum.

Not knowing the individuals involved, I gotta give them credit for turning themselves in....

What they did was definitely not cool, but what's done is done, and turning themselves in to face justice is about the best move they had left for doing the right thing after the fact.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-17-2014, 12:22 PM
It wasn't until the pressure was on and the vehicle identified AND it was made public on this forum that they turned themselves in....a month later I might add.

Hopefully, they have turned over a new leaf. People make mistakes. It's what happens after those mistakes that separate the poacher from the ethical hunter.

SSS

RiverOtter
04-17-2014, 12:45 PM
Thanks SSS, I wasn't aware of the exact particulars....nice to see a conclusion to this though.